Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Question If I root and uninstall stock apps (movie maker, pinyin) can I get 4.4

A few days ago I rooted my nexus 4 after finding a one-click root app. I downloaded uninstall manager which was renamed app manager and deleted the Korean keyboard, Hindi keyboard, pinyin input and movie maker (can't remember actual name). Will I still receive the OTA of 1.4 or will it not work since some apps are missing?

Default Re: If I root and uninstall stock apps (movie maker, pinyin) can I get 4.4

You may not receive an OTA update, but on XDA you can find instructions on installing the factory images on your phone. Then it will get the OTA update once its out.

Posted from the awesome new Nexus 7
    Be sure and hit the thanks button if anything I said was helpful to you!
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I don't know how to flash images, would sideloading the apk's of these apps and unrooting work? Or just unrooting?

Edit: I think the only apps I uninstalled are on the play store. So I should still be able to update and if it doesn't work I can just install them.

Posted via Android central app on my rooted LG Google Nexus 4
    Last edited by Jlav78; 10-29-2013 at 01:09 PM.

I would recommend using this. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2015469 It is an extremely useful program for rooting, unroofing, and flashing back to stock. It works on all Nexus devices, and I plan on using it to go back to stock when 4.4 comes out.

5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

I already have a one click root and one click unroot app and the only things I uninstalled are on the play store so I think I'm ok, if I'm not I'll just download the apps from the play store

Will that help me flash cyanogenmod or just stock

Default Re: If I root and uninstall stock apps (movie maker, pinyin) can I get 4.4

Quote Originally Posted by Jlav78 View Post
    I already have a one click root and one click unroot app and the only things I uninstalled are on the play store so I think I'm ok, if I'm not I'll just download the apps from the play store

Will that help me flash cyanogenmod or just stock

When you root, it sometimes messes with part of the system and doesn't let you get OTA updates. The link I gave makes your device as if it never was rooted, relocks the bootloader, and flashes the stock system images, so you can get OTA updates if you want. You can also use it to flash ROMs like CyanogenMod.

Thanked by:
    Jlav78 
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by chadthebuilder View Post
    When you root, it sometimes messes with part of the system and doesn't let you get OTA updates. The link I gave makes your device as if it never was rooted, relocks the bootloader, and flashes the stock system images, so you can get OTA updates if you want. You can also use it to flash ROMs like CyanogenMod.

Thanks, I have the annoying keyboards backed up to drop box so if I can't update I'll download then and try, if that doesn't work I'll use that app, update to 4.4 and then use it again to flash cyanogenmod

As long as you're on stock ROM and recovery you'll get the ota. Otherwise you'll have to flash it (ie download a file onto your phone and click Install in your recovery program. Super easy.)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app