Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Global Posts
    876 Global Posts

Default Re: Hangouts disappointment

Quote Originally Posted by n8ter#AC View Post
    Policies are what they are. I'm not sure how you seriously think that makes sense.
    In the same way your argument makes sense.

Hangouts is a deficiency the sms app. iOS messaging or Samsung messaging is not.
    And not allowing the user to set a default 3rd party app for a given function is a deficiency in iOS. You think Hangouts is a deficient SMS app because it doesn't have features YOU want. In the same way, iOS is a deficient OS because it doesn't have a given feature *I* want. Whether the deficiency is created by design is irrelevant to whether or not it is a deficiency.

Apples policy of not replacing defaults is simply a policy you personally don't like.
    And Google's policy of making Hangouts the default SMS app in Kitkat is a policy you personally don't like.

That does not make it deficient.
    What's good for the goose is good for the gander. You seem to be intent on defending policies you like as 'policies' and ones you don't as deficient feature sets. I would in fact argue that the fact that Apple doesn't give you an option makes it MORE deficient than Google giving you an out-of-the-box option that you find inadequate but are free to replace.

I'm criticizing the app as being deficient for MMS.
    Okay, I'm criticizing the OS for being deficient in providing the functionality of letting a user pick their favorite app for a given function.

Don't get it twisted.
    From where I stand, I'm not the one getting it twisted. But then, it would be better for all if we could have this discussion without accusing each other of getting things "twisted."
    Banned

Global Posts
    4,395 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (4.3)

There's nothing more to discuss.

A few others have stated it, but I would have liked to see the two protocols merged within a threaded conversation. Show a small little symbol to say what protocol it was sent through. For Hangouts a small hangout logo, for SMS have a small phone icon, and in the future for Google Voice have the GV icon. Simple and self explanatory. Now someone wants to send their message through a specific protocol. It always says SMS above the send button, if we want to change the protocol you just long press that button and select the protocol you want?

Posted via Android Central App
    Jonneh likes this.

Well I dl'd the 2.0 version of hangouts on my rooted gnex. I'm a big user of GV and was looking forward to Voice integration in hangouts. Then we found out it wasn't coming yet. Since I'm running carbon ROM on here. I have Voice+ to send SMS. So did a lil experiment. Sent SMS in hangouts to another GV # I have. I received it through the GV I use on this phone. So was kinda fun to see what SMS will be like when Google gets its act together. Though from what has been communicated from them it looks like they are going to screw around with everyone by closing off more of this. Bad part is if they had done this better in the first place we wouldn't have needed to look for other solutions.

Quote Originally Posted by mech1164 View Post
    Well I dl'd the 2.0 version of hangouts on my rooted gnex. I'm a big user of GV and was looking forward to Voice integration in hangouts. Then we found out it wasn't coming yet. Since I'm running carbon ROM on here. I have Voice+ to send SMS. So did a lil experiment. Sent SMS in hangouts to another GV # I have. I received it through the GV I use on this phone. So was kinda fun to see what SMS will be like when Google gets its act together. Though from what has been communicated from them it looks like they are going to screw around with everyone by closing off more of this. Bad part is if they had done this better in the first place we wouldn't have needed to look for other solutions.

A good alternative method for anyone who requires GV immediately. I used to use Voice+ however I still need my original number from my carrier to work.
    I guess Hangouts doesn't support Split SMS or the Multi-Part SMS because it literally won't let me post anything longer than the limit. I know this is an unofficial build and this may be fixed in the play store version or a future release but it is frustrating to say the least.

Does anybody know if the SMS I send from my phone will show up anywhere else ? Ex. Computer , Google plus, tablet that doesn't have the hangouts app instslled ?

Quote Originally Posted by DaMaRa1109 View Post
    Does anybody know if the SMS I send from my phone will show up anywhere else ? Ex. Computer , Google plus, tablet that doesn't have the hangouts app instslled ?

From what I understand, that hasn't been baked in yet.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

A little disappointed about the integration in hangouts. They hyped it up to be like a Imessage so to speak. But still love the hangouts app itself.

Quote Originally Posted by DaMaRa1109 View Post

We probably will not see that functionality as all text messages are stored in the phone's SMS database. For it to be received on other devices you would need a data connection to mirror a copy of every message received and sent. This is something other apps such as Mighty Text perform however not Google Hangouts.

I don't think that even iMessage has this functionality unless it is sent through data and not SMS.

Yeah I I've been using the apk. I actually don't want it to be anywhere else other than my phone. Personal convos and such. Im pretty sure imessage does actually do that as I'd get home after a day of use on my old iphone and looked at my iPad it would all be there.

Very disappointed with the SMS side of the app. It's slow to open the app, does not download MMS, isn't showing emojis sent to me, and there is no quick reply from the status bar. (That last one is just a nice feature to have) anyone else not getting MMS?

Quote Originally Posted by mchockeyvette27 View Post
    Very disappointed with the SMS side of the app. It's slow to open the app, does not download MMS, isn't showing emojis sent to me, and there is no quick reply from the status bar. (That last one is just a nice feature to have) anyone else not getting MMS?

I am able to receive and send MMS without issue on my Sprint GS3 through Hangouts.

Quote Originally Posted by 77prophet View Post
    I like it, stock messaging (CM10.2) was a bit boring to me. The downside being that I don't actually have anyone to have a conversation with through hangouts because I live in a very iPhone dominate area, so its only an sms app to me.
    Pretty positive you can get hangouts in the itunes store
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,100 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Anyways, Google has had a habit lately of improving iOS applications (or just plain releasing apps) before the Android versions.
    This is because Google makes a WHOLE lot more money from iOS than Android.

Hangouts is one of the worst down-grades ever. Very disappointed. The app should be scrapped and reverted back to normal google Chat + normal SMS app. Then Hangouts should be re-worked.

Quote Originally Posted by Zheega View Post
    Hangouts is one of the worst down-grades ever. Very disappointed. The app should be scrapped and reverted back to normal google Chat + normal SMS app. Then Hangouts should be re-worked.
    What do you see wrong with it? I know it has a few disadvantages but you make that statement without any facts to back it. I honestly think it works fine (to an extent), but I do understand other people's needs are different than mine. This is a pulled APK we got from a phone that isn't supported for everyone just yet. I have friends in the UK that say it functions differently compared to me doing the same thing in the US.

Global Posts
    876 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mchockeyvette27 View Post
    Do you have auto-download of MMS turned on? Settings > SMS > Auto-retrieve MMS (plus auto-retrieve roaming, if you wish).

What bothers me most in hangouts is the fact that when you get an SMS and open it, the notification in the status bar does NOT go away until you swipe back to the conversation list. This is extremely annoying!
    Jonneh likes this.

Anyone got the official HO app that's being pushed out? Any of these issues fixed?

Banned

Global Posts
    4,395 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (4.3)

Quote Originally Posted by BrandonEnr7 View Post
    What do you see wrong with it? I know it has a few disadvantages but you make that statement without any facts to back it. I honestly think it works fine (to an extent), but I do understand other people's needs are different than mine. This is a pulled APK we got from a phone that isn't supported for everyone just yet. I have friends in the UK that say it functions differently compared to me doing the same thing in the US.

Removes voice calling.

Sluggish performance Compared to talk, which was flawless from a performance standpoint.

Forces you to add a number to your Google account, and you have to delete your account to remove it... Turns on link to your account by default......

All sorts of issues with video calls to talk users (as in their phone never rings, it's as if you never called them).

Badly implemented file transfer - use a third party talk client (like Trillian) for chat and picture sharing with talk for only voice/Video chat, and you're golden.

Ugly emoticons.

Fails as an mms client IRT functionality vs OEM stock clients. Virtually useless compared to those apps. I pity Nexus 5 users... Off to the play store for them.

Breaks contacts app Integration (no more presence indicator in contacts). Matters for business users who BYOD. Some use Google Apps and will not update the app because they lose this.

No invisible or busy status. See above.

The worst contact list I've ever seen in a messaging app. Makes literally no sense they did it this way, and is quite ugly.

Unreliable, you never know where messages will be delivered, sometimes they go to your PC and not your phone so you get no push notification.

Google+-encumbered - iOS users can't use it at all without Google+, picture transfer requires it.

The floating read up to here indicators are cute at first, but in group chats when multiple people read up to different points it isn't. Also causes chat bubbles to move sometimes while you're trying to read. Good in theory but ultimately a poor way to present this.

Looking forward to the Facebook Messenger revamp at this point. I don't consider this product usable (for me, since I know the types of reply the lack of a disclaimer will damn me with)

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 4

I'm enjoying the new Hangouts shipped with the Nexus 5/ 4.4 KitKat. I believe it has at least three bugs that need to be ironed out in an update, but I'm surprising myself with how much I'm actually enjoying using it. Looking forward to the Google Voice integration! I'm also surprised how much I am using Google Now with it baked into the leftmost homescreen. The icons on the stock launcher are just a tad too large for my tastes, but I'm waiting on what the Nova launcher developer comes up with.
    Banned

Global Posts
    4,395 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (4.3)

Quote Originally Posted by yfan View Post
    The deficiency is not in the quality of the default app. The deficiency is in the policy, as you put it, of not letting users choose a 3rd party app to be the default app to handle something.

That's a little funny coming from someone who complains about lack of Google Voice integration, since GV SMS never had good support for MMS. Regardless, this is why you have the freedom, on Android, to choose a 3rd party app as default.

Sure, but by the same token, not everyone wants to, or even cares about the extra MMS functions like audio. What's good for the goose... You are representing the subset who want the functionality but dismissing my subset of those who are happy to get a 3rd party app. That doesn't work.

This is partly my point, so thanks.

And Google Voice calling only matters to people who use Google voice. Hangouts calling only matters to people who make calls on Hangouts. What's your point?Just because you don't want a feature or app doesn't make it less relevant.

I said it was only available on Android, not that it's a feature of Android. The whole point of this discussion is the respective Google services experiences on the 2 platforms.

You didn't. I did.

Google services are Google services. What's core to you may or may not be core to someone else. My whole point is that you're picking and choosing services to argue your point. Maps is no more "core" than social. In fact, more people probably use a social network on a daily basis than do maps.

No, that's YOUR experience. And if the stuff you use most is better on iOS, then by all means, get an iPhone. We're consumers first and platform enthusiasts second. Make the best decision for you as a consumer.

Excellent.

One correction...

YouTube Camera: I actually meant YouTube Capture (Sorry), and I made a typo. It's available from iOS but not for Andorid, so you don't have a point there. A simple search could have told you that, but it was my mistake nonetheless:

There are complete apps available for iOS that haven't been released for Android: YouTube

The app is only available for iOS. Google said something along the lines of they were working on it, but it has yet to arrive.

And no, "Share" is not the Answer.

Everything else you wrote is just defending, and I have tired of responding to it...

Personally my next device won't run Android as many of the issues I mentioned have exhausted me, rhetorically speaking.

Global Posts
    876 Global Posts

Personally my next device won't run Android as many of the issues I mentioned have exhausted me, rhetorically speaking.
    Umm. If you think I am trying to keep you on Android, you're mistaken. I have already said that we as consumers have to make the best choice for ourselves, and I believe that. If the Google services you use and the features in those services most important to you is available exclusively (or first) on iOS then my only criticism of you is that you haven't already switched.

What I have a hard time putting up with is claiming subjective experience as objective analysis. If you think that the features you use the most are the most important features for everybody, that's what I have a problem with. It is possible for you to have a better experience on iOS for the services you use without the whole line of overall Google services necessarily making for a better experience in iOS.

I'm an Android fan, but not a fanboy. The difference is that for me, Android works better and makes for a better overall experience, so I'm a fan. But unlike a fanboy, I have no interest in staking out overall claims about the superiority of inferiority of Android over iOS, WP, Blackberry or anything else.
    Banned

Global Posts
    4,395 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (4.3)

Okay... Whatever you said...

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 4

The problem isn't the control, the problem is how the messages are threaded.

Let's make a quick comparison.

In Windows Phone you can "Switch" between SMS and Facebook Chat in the Messaging Hub.

If you go into an area or building with no reception, you can switch to Facebook from SMS and send messages. The Messages appear in the same thread as the Facebook Chat Messages, so there is no break in the conversation flow.

In Hangouts, if you switch to from SMS to IM, then the IM goes to a separate conversation thread (AFAICT), and then when you switch back a whole portion of that conversation lives outside of the conversation. This makes it a compete and utter PITA to refer to earlier parts of the conversation because you can even forget which protocol was used during the earlier exchange.

This is not an issue in the Messaging hub. Everything remains in the same thread regardless of the protocol switch. Before Axing WLM, Microsoft supported three protocols there (SMS/MMS, Windows Live, and Facebook Chat) which could all be seamlessly switched between without breaking the thread up in this way.

It just looks a little sloppy, and it crowds the messaging list with redundant entries for the same contact - nevermind the conversation breaks within each thread as you switch from one to another. For example, if you don't want a Public Google Profile, you may send all your media via MMS to that contact instead of IM (Hangouts requires G+ for picture Sharing), but it would siphon all of that off to another conversation...

Since Google can match Phone Numbers to Google Accounts (they have been doing this for a while now with Hangouts, it's why they ask for verification), then there was no real roadblock for introducing a unified conversation thread for Hangouts and SMS.

Also, the lack of notification badges for Google Apps still makes the stock Messaging app a better choice. I prefer to see the counter for unread SMS/MMS messages on the icon. Hangouts doesn't do that.
    This! C'mon Google, get on the ball!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast