Hangouts disappointment

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Oh God. The policy is a policy. Whether you like it is your opinion. It is not a deficiency.

Sent from my Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 4

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
Oh God. The policy is a policy. Whether you like it is your opinion. It is not a deficiency.
Sure it is. Policies can certainly be deficient. In fact, you are making that exact same argument when you criticize Google's *policy* of making Hangouts the default SMS/MMS app in Kitkat, dropping a dedicated client that you argue is more feature sufficient. You're criticizing a policy on Google's part that you see as deficient, and I'm criticizing one on Apple's part I see as deficient.

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
I use a free app(Textplus) for texting and have texting turned off on all 3 lines. Can hangouts be used if you don't have texting? It wants to send a confirmation sms to my #...but I'm not going to receive it, unless I give them the free app # . Which I'm trying to get rid of by going to Hangouts...sort of a "Catch-22" (This also prevents me from doing the 2 tier authentication)
Yes, Hangouts can be used if you don't have texting. You cannot, however, use it with your number. Sign into Hangouts with your Google Account, and you will be able to text anyone who is also signed into Hangouts with their Google accounts (as opposed to mobile numbers). You can use it for messaging that way.

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Sure it is. Policies can certainly be deficient. In fact, you are making that exact same argument when you criticize Google's *policy* of making Hangouts the default SMS/MMS app in Kitkat, dropping a dedicated client that you argue is more feature sufficient. You're criticizing a policy on Google's part that you see as deficient, and I'm criticizing one on Apple's part I see as deficient.

Policies are what they are. I'm not sure how you seriously think that makes sense.

Hangouts is a deficiency the sms app. iOS messaging or Samsung messaging is not.

Apples policy of not replacing defaults is simply a policy you personally don't like.

That does not make it deficient.

I'm criticizing the app as being deficient for MMS. It is a stock app and regressed the feature set. Hangouts did the same thing IRT Google Talk.

Don't get it twisted.

Sent from my Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 4

anon(226560)

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I was really looking forward to the update but now that I know it'll split conversations like that it makes it very pointless. I'm tired of having different messaging apps and was looking for an all in one solution. Guess I'll keep waiting.

Sent from Nexus 7

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
Policies are what they are. I'm not sure how you seriously think that makes sense.
In the same way your argument makes sense.

Hangouts is a deficiency the sms app. iOS messaging or Samsung messaging is not.
And not allowing the user to set a default 3rd party app for a given function is a deficiency in iOS. You think Hangouts is a deficient SMS app because it doesn't have features YOU want. In the same way, iOS is a deficient OS because it doesn't have a given feature *I* want. Whether the deficiency is created by design is irrelevant to whether or not it is a deficiency.

Apples policy of not replacing defaults is simply a policy you personally don't like.
And Google's policy of making Hangouts the default SMS app in Kitkat is a policy you personally don't like.

That does not make it deficient.
What's good for the goose is good for the gander. You seem to be intent on defending policies you like as 'policies' and ones you don't as deficient feature sets. I would in fact argue that the fact that Apple doesn't give you an option makes it MORE deficient than Google giving you an out-of-the-box option that you find inadequate but are free to replace.

I'm criticizing the app as being deficient for MMS.
Okay, I'm criticizing the OS for being deficient in providing the functionality of letting a user pick their favorite app for a given function.

Don't get it twisted.
From where I stand, I'm not the one getting it twisted. But then, it would be better for all if we could have this discussion without accusing each other of getting things "twisted."

BrandonEnr7

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
A few others have stated it, but I would have liked to see the two protocols merged within a threaded conversation. Show a small little symbol to say what protocol it was sent through. For Hangouts a small hangout logo, for SMS have a small phone icon, and in the future for Google Voice have the GV icon. Simple and self explanatory. Now someone wants to send their message through a specific protocol. It always says SMS above the send button, if we want to change the protocol you just long press that button and select the protocol you want?

Posted via Android Central App

mech1164

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
Well I dl'd the 2.0 version of hangouts on my rooted gnex. I'm a big user of GV and was looking forward to Voice integration in hangouts. Then we found out it wasn't coming yet. Since I'm running carbon ROM on here. I have Voice+ to send SMS. So did a lil experiment. Sent SMS in hangouts to another GV # I have. I received it through the GV I use on this phone. So was kinda fun to see what SMS will be like when Google gets its act together. Though from what has been communicated from them it looks like they are going to screw around with everyone by closing off more of this. Bad part is if they had done this better in the first place we wouldn't have needed to look for other solutions.

BrandonEnr7

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
Well I dl'd the 2.0 version of hangouts on my rooted gnex. I'm a big user of GV and was looking forward to Voice integration in hangouts. Then we found out it wasn't coming yet. Since I'm running carbon ROM on here. I have Voice+ to send SMS. So did a lil experiment. Sent SMS in hangouts to another GV # I have. I received it through the GV I use on this phone. So was kinda fun to see what SMS will be like when Google gets its act together. Though from what has been communicated from them it looks like they are going to screw around with everyone by closing off more of this. Bad part is if they had done this better in the first place we wouldn't have needed to look for other solutions.

A good alternative method for anyone who requires GV immediately. I used to use Voice+ however I still need my original number from my carrier to work.
I guess Hangouts doesn't support Split SMS or the Multi-Part SMS because it literally won't let me post anything longer than the limit. I know this is an unofficial build and this may be fixed in the play store version or a future release but it is frustrating to say the least.

DaMaRa1109

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Does anybody know if the SMS I send from my phone will show up anywhere else ? Ex. Computer , Google plus, tablet that doesn't have the hangouts app instslled ?

mech1164

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
Does anybody know if the SMS I send from my phone will show up anywhere else ? Ex. Computer , Google plus, tablet that doesn't have the hangouts app instslled ?

From what I understand, that hasn't been baked in yet.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

purplehaze50o

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
A little disappointed about the integration in hangouts. They hyped it up to be like a Imessage so to speak. But still love the hangouts app itself.

BrandonEnr7

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site

We probably will not see that functionality as all text messages are stored in the phone's SMS database. For it to be received on other devices you would need a data connection to mirror a copy of every message received and sent. This is something other apps such as Mighty Text perform however not Google Hangouts.

I don't think that even iMessage has this functionality unless it is sent through data and not SMS.

DaMaRa1109

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Yeah I I've been using the apk. I actually don't want it to be anywhere else other than my phone. Personal convos and such. Im pretty sure imessage does actually do that as I'd get home after a day of use on my old iphone and looked at my iPad it would all be there.

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Very disappointed with the SMS side of the app. It's slow to open the app, does not download MMS, isn't showing emojis sent to me, and there is no quick reply from the status bar. (That last one is just a nice feature to have) anyone else not getting MMS?

BrandonEnr7

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
Very disappointed with the SMS side of the app. It's slow to open the app, does not download MMS, isn't showing emojis sent to me, and there is no quick reply from the status bar. (That last one is just a nice feature to have) anyone else not getting MMS?

I am able to receive and send MMS without issue on my Sprint GS3 through Hangouts.

Lisa Driscoll

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I like it, stock messaging (CM10.2) was a bit boring to me. The downside being that I don't actually have anyone to have a conversation with through hangouts because I live in a very iPhone dominate area, so its only an sms app to me.

Pretty positive you can get hangouts in the itunes store

Zheega

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
Hangouts is one of the worst down-grades ever. Very disappointed. The app should be scrapped and reverted back to normal google Chat + normal SMS app. Then Hangouts should be re-worked.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djaa7