How do I migrate my SMS messages?

mobilityguy

Jul 26, 2010
Visit site
I moved from my Nexus 4 to a new Nexus 5. I want to export the data from the stock messaging app on the Nexus 4 into Hangouts on the 5. It looks like Hangouts won't convert them if they're not already in a messaging app on the same phone. I've tried installing Go SMS on the 5 but it won't see the messages either. I'm trying to move them using My Backup Pro.

Posted via Android Central App

Jerfer

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
I'm dealing with the same thing right now. I'll post back with results.

In the meantime I would get a refund for the app you bought if it's not too late (15 minutes from purchase).

Jerfer

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
The only app I've found to work is SMS Backup & Restore. The downside is it doesn't include MMS, but you could just restore those at a later time.

1) Put the app on your Nexus 4 and Nexus 5.
2) Do a backup on your Nexus 4 and upload to Dropbox, then download the backup file from Dropbox to your Nexus 5. If the SMS Backup & Restore app is installed you'll automatically be asked if you want to do a restore.
3) It'll inform you that since Android 4.4, the app doing the restore has to also be the default SMS messaging app.
4) Say yes and then complete the restore.
5) Now just open Hangouts and set it as your default SMS messaging app when it asks. All your texts should show.

If you find a different SMS/MMS backup app that can be set as the default SMS messaging app, then it will probably work as well.

mobilityguy

Jul 26, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, I'll try that. Some of what I want to preserve is pictures and sound recordings, so I'll have to find a way to get those eventually. I can export the pictures, at least.

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Came in here to say use SMS Backup and Restore (lovely app!), but Jerry Ferguson beat me to it, with nice instructions to boot! Thanks Jerry!

mobilityguy

Jul 26, 2010
Visit site
Happy ending. My Backup Pro just got updated today to support transferring SMS and MMS to the Nexus 5.the trick is to make the backup program the default SMS app during the restore, and My Backup Pro does that now. Worked like a charm, brought back everything. I installed the app you recommended but I never got to use it. Thanks for your advice, now there are at least two solutions.

mobilityguy

Jul 26, 2010
Visit site
FYI My Backup Pro was extremely slow. I had about 5500 SMS messages and importing them took almost three hours. If you're going to use the app, plan ahead.

Jay R5

May 27, 2014
Visit site
I seem to have an interesting problem with my Nexus 4. I was logged out of my google account when my phone hit the driveway. shattered the screen, making it unusable. how can I retrieve my SMS messages from it to my replacement? Help?