Share menu won't open up anymore; only shares to one app

inkyoto

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
When I was in Chrome one day, I clicked the Share button and shared a link to Facebook Messenger.

Now, when I tap Share in any app, it opens up Facebook Messenger immediately, instead of showing the Share menu.

Is this some sort of feature? How do I get the Share menu back again? (I've tried Googling but I've come up with nothing.)

Thanks!

Paul Klapperich

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm experiencing this issue, but it's the GMail app that's showing up instead of the share menu! And I can't delete gmail, it's a system app!

I am able to restore the share menu (temporarily) if I disable the gmail app, but then I don't have gmail until I re-enable it.

Before the issue appeared I did 3 things: restored from titanium backup (but not gmail... no need for that, google already restores that), encrypted the phone, and enabled ART instead of Dalvik. I don't know if I shared anything after encrypting, but I definitely noticed it was broken after enabling ART. Returning to Dalvik made no difference, though, so that's probably not related.

Edit So far I've tried restoring the system partition, clearing cache partition and dalvik cache. I've also cleared all data for gmail. Installing "AndMade Share" does work as an alternative to the sharing menu provided by "Android System". I also found "Android System" in titanium backup and cleared it's data, but that didn't help. Probably I'll have to wipe data and restore things carefully.

Last edited:

inkyoto

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Hey Paul,

Here's what I've found out. The problem was that I was using an app (Hacker News) that, when opening the Share dialog, actually had a "Share To... [Always / Just Once]" dialog, when usually it doesn't have any options and just shares it to it Just Once. This makes it get "stuck". Something happened where I accidentally tapped the Always option, or just tapped the selected option (which may have triggered Always), that made it the default sharing provider.

The way I solved this was to uninstall the Hacker News app and then reinstall it, install another app that had a share intent (I used BaconReader), share an article in the Hacker News app to that app (not sure if I did Just Once or Always), and then delete that app. In the future, the share dialog should show the list (it did for me). YMMV.

Hope this works for you -- YMMV as I mentioned -- let me know how it goes.

cotati

Oct 5, 2017
Visit site
settings/apps/all/facebook messenger scroll and clear defaults

Where do you see this path? Does not exist on my Android device , my path is: settings/applications/, and once there , there is no 'all' path.

Fortunately I did find a path that fixed my issue:
settings/applications/default applications/set as default/findtheappthatis showinginthesharepath/clear defaults

cotati

Oct 5, 2017
Visit site
Where do you see this path? Does not exist on my Android device , my path is: settings/applications/, and once there , there is no 'all' path.

settings/applications/default applications/set as default/findtheappthatis showinginthesharepath/clear defaults
The problem is however, that this only lasts for ONE execution and therein lies the crux of the issue.
For reasons unknown, about a week ago the share icon inexplicably started defaulting to Facebook and not offering multiple choices as had been the case earlier.

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site

Most post was 4 years ago. A lot has changed since then.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance