No voice input button on keyboard

Bruce McDonald

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site
I just realized after MONTHS of my icon missing, and NO option to even turn it back on... that maybe the problem was due to me deleting something that initially utilized the mic option.... so I went and searched in my application manager at all the apps I had turned off.... EUREKA! I turned Google Search and Google Voice Search back on, and the problem ironed itself out perfectly without a hitch! So my suggestion is sniff around your phone, and take a look at any apps you 'turned off' because maybe you didn't think you would use them. Hope this helps! :)

I just wanted to thank you very much you saved me days of frustration could not figure out what I did got my microphone back excellent advice thank you again

V MP

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
I have read all the threads about this No voice Input problem and I have tried everything suggested. I even reformatted my Tablet 10.1 and as soon as I got the mic button, my tablet just froze with a message Google Search has stopped working.
This was happening yesterday and I disabled Google Search.
Today, I finally decided to factory re-set the whole tablet and when opened the input section, Google Voice chat was in fact ticked and the mic did show on the keyboard. As soon as I pressed on the Mic to type something by voice, the whole thing crashed again with the same above message.

So, is it a case of corrupt Google Search?
The only way that my Tablet can behave normally is to have Google Search DISABLED, otherwise, it is freezing with that same warning message: Google Search Stopped working.

I love the voice typing facility but at this rate - even after reformatting my tablet - I have not found a solution to it.

Any solution to fix the Google Search thing as well as hopefully fixing the Mic voice typing will be highly appreciated.

Please note, the Mic button can be found with the Google voice typing , but as soon as i press it, the whole thing is crashing....

Help!

Thank you guys.

V MP

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
Hi, thank you Brian Siligato,
The situation got sorted and for the benefit of others with similar issues I will explain how: I was doing all the things that were suggested here with zilch luck.

I went back and re-enable Google Search and having done that with no luck I ALSO updated Google Search on Play Store. The Updating of Google Search app did the job. Now I have the mic icon on the keyboard and whenever I use voice typing all is working well.

Thank you.

Craig Bohn

Mar 9, 2016
Visit site
My microphone for voice typing button disappeared out of my keyboard when I upgraded Marshmallow. I covered it by holding down the button in between the "Sym" and the "," until an image of several choices popped up. The microphone button was to the far left. Once I chose it, it became the default for that button.

Last edited:

Dreamerdtd

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
In settings select the samsung keyboard. Then with the keyboard up hold the settings gear. This will give you options on what you want on that key including the mic.

phissith

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
In settings select the samsung keyboard. Then with the keyboard up hold the settings gear. This will give you options on what you want on that key including the mic.

For those still having issues I am on LG G5 and before the mic is by space key but now have be relocate to upper right corner however when there is a mic from Google.search bar present the upper right mic will disappear assuming that since you already got one why need both? I don't know but that's my thesis.

sturns

Jul 23, 2016
Visit site
I found something on here that actually worked for the mic. To the left of the space bar there is a comma, and then to the left of that there was a button that had a smiley face for me. I long held the smiley face and the mic was one of the options. It's back! Thanks for the post that gave me this tip.

iainnash

Jul 27, 2016
Visit site
How come there is no voice input / microphone button on my android keyboard? I've had a look in the options screen, there's an option where you can enable / disable the voice input button on keyboard, but it's already enabled. Anyone knows how to fix it? I can press and hold the space bar and select Google voice input in the popup menu, but it's too inconvenient. I tried installing another keyboard (Hacker's keyboard), there I have the mic button.

View attachment 91039

Hi, I had this issue... then I discovered the comma/settings key to the left of the space bar is a soft key. If you long press it, you can choose what input it provides - one of the options is voice input. If you select the microphone icon, it stays on till you change it back to something else. Hope this helps!
Iain

jmartin99

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
On my wife's Samsung S6 she lost the microphone icon on the keyboard. After lengthy search I discovered that if you press and hold the icon that is in the place where the mic is suppose to be, 4 choices come up and one of them was a microphone. I think the choices are mic, clipboard, icon chooser, settings

Naessean

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
How come there is no voice input / microphone button on my android keyboard? I've had a look in the options screen, there's an option where you can enable / disable the voice input button on keyboard, but it's already enabled. Anyone knows how to fix it? I can press and hold the space bar and select Google voice input in the popup menu, but it's too inconvenient. I tried installing another keyboard (Hacker's keyboard), there I have the mic button.

View attachment 91039

Had the same issues with update from 6.0 to 6.1
Then reboot.
Found that Firefox now has it on the search bar when updated.

I needed to go into applications and clear cache and storage. Then uninstall Google keyboard and reinstalled.
Now working fine.
In keyboard settings go through all the option to preferences and turn off auto and select on. The voice input key so it shows all the time.

FreedomPete

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
On Android 7 the mic icon does not appear when the recipient box is selected but does appear when the subject and text boxes are selected. Hope that helps someone.

mmuss1775

Dec 12, 2016
Visit site

View attachment 91039

The microphone disappears if you use a search bar with a microphone on it. Try checking the keyboard while messaging with the phone messenger.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lisa Serzy

Dec 15, 2016
Visit site
After you do all that posted! Go back to your keyboard and hold down the small settings round gear for a few seconds and a small window will appear with the................... mic symbol / settings symbol / copy symbol. Hit the mic symbol and it stays on. Next time you start to send a text just it the speaker symbol and start talking! Works pretty well.

You are my hero! I am on my mom's phone trying to figure out how to have the mic symbol always on the default keyboard screen. Mine's like that. I've been through so many settings and have Googled so many topics that I was about to just give up. I can't believe it was as simple as just tapping the mic and leaving it. I just kept going to the options and attempting to figure it out from there. Thank you so much!

Anthony Worley1

Jan 20, 2017
Visit site
You should be able to go to Settings then language. Under keyboard type, select other keyboards and in that list their may be an option to turn on Google voice typing.

Malik Rumi

Jan 30, 2017
Visit site
It is 3 years later, but Sean L.'s solution worked for me. THANK YOU!
I have an LG VS450PP with Verizon, Android version 4.4.2 for anyone out there who can use this information.

Deltabravo2

Feb 22, 2017
Visit site

View attachment 91039

My voice key started working again after I enabled the Google app. I had disabled it and that caused it to fail.

onoid

May 10, 2017
Visit site
My voice key started working again after I enabled the Google app. I had disabled it and that caused it to fail.
Can't believe this. Freeze, disable or uninstall the Google app and voice typing vanishes.

Spent a lot of time trying to work around this (have voice typing without Google running), but it's utterly futile:

no Google = no voice typing

Not happy with ANY forced software, but thanks for the tip.