Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default No voice input button on keyboard

How come there is no voice input / microphone button on my android keyboard? I've had a look in the options screen, there's an option where you can enable / disable the voice input button on keyboard, but it's already enabled. Anyone knows how to fix it? I can press and hold the space bar and select Google voice input in the popup menu, but it's too inconvenient. I tried installing another keyboard (Hacker's keyboard), there I have the mic button.

No voice input button on keyboard-keyb.png

Default Re: No voice input button on keyboard

Go into the keyboard settings and enable Google voice typing.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

It's already enabled, I just double checked. "Voice input key" in Google keyboard settings is also enabled. I tried a factory reset, but it didn't help.

Enabled
    No voice input button on keyboard-google-voice-typing-settings.png
    Thanked by:

If your Nexus 5 does not have Mic Button(Google Voice Key) on your keyboard go to:
    -Settings
    -Language and Input
    -Tick Google Keyboard(English US)
    -Tick Google Voice Typing
    Thanked by 3:
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Thanks Mathew, I just double checked, but everything is already enabled. It must be a bug... my Android is vanilla and the problem persists even after a factory reset
    Last edited by bernhard65; 11-11-2013 at 03:47 PM.

Global Posts
    8,105 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

In settings, make sure the voice input key is selected.
    ONo voice input button on keyboard-1384202377434.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Thank you. It's already enabled, though. Just tried disabling and re-enabling, but no avail.

I just noticed it could have to do with your location. I'm in Germany and I've seen a YouTube review from a fellow German, he also does not have the mic key, whereas English people seem to have it. Switching the system language to English didn't help, though.

That being said it's not a general issue with Google voice input, as I already mentioned I can press and hold the space key and select it from there, it works fine.

Oddly enough some Nexus 5 devices are shipping with it enabled and some are not. Mine was not enabled for some reason, but I was able to enable it.
    Pat

Galaxy Nexus 10 - stock KitKat 4.4.4
    Galaxy Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) - stock KitKat 4.4.4
    Chromecast
    Nexus 5 - stock KitKat 4.4.4
    bernhard65 likes this.

Global Posts
    8,105 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Quote Originally Posted by bernhard65 View Post
    Thank you. It's already enabled, though. Just tried disabling and re-enabling, but no avail.

I just noticed it could have to do with your location. I'm in Germany and I've seen a YouTube review from a fellow German, he also does not have the mic key, whereas English people seem to have it. Switching the system language to English didn't help, though.

That being said it's not a general issue with Google voice input, as I already mentioned I can press and hold the space key and select it from there, it works fine.
    Try downloading the Google Keyboard front he play store and see if it's there.

10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Google Keyboard is already installed and selected as input method, so I can't install it from the Play Store. Just tried to delete its cache and disable/enable it in the app settings, but it didn't help

I have the same issue on my N5. The google keyboard came installed, and all the settings are enabled right, but there is no voice input key on my keyboard in any application! Frustrating.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Quote Originally Posted by jdm843 View Post
    I have the same issue on my N5. The google keyboard came installed, and all the settings are enabled right, but there is no voice input key on my keyboard in any application! Frustrating.
    May I ask where you're from / what language you use?

Quote Originally Posted by bernhard65 View Post
    May I ask where you're from / what language you use?
    I'm using english (US).
    Last edited by jdm843; 11-12-2013 at 08:44 PM.

I'm using english (US).

Global Posts
    8,105 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

I'm seeing other people report the same issue. I don't get why Google would remove such a feature.

My mic icon is no longer full/filled either, and my Keyboard settings are set to English (and my voice settings are English too). not sure what I did. Can't seem to get it back.
    Now I can't use the hotword "Okay Google ______"

I had the same issue. On the Google Keyboard Settings page, the "Voice input key" was checked but was not showing up on the keyboard. On the screen back from this one, there is a list of "Keyboard & Input Methods". You have to make sure the setting "Google voice typing" is checked. Then the mic button will show up on the keyboard.

***EDIT***
    So, today I discovered that having "Google voice typing" may disable "OK Google". There is a bug in settings panel.
    See: http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=62238
    Last edited by Beenblake; 11-14-2013 at 11:29 AM.

Global Posts
    26 Global Posts

The picture made it clear for me. I have been trying to get this working from day one. Thanks for the picture!!!

I'm having the same problem. It was working fine and then one day it just disappeared. OK Google still works, but there's no mic on the keyboard anymore. I also tried going to the settings, but it is enabled. Try disabling and re-enabling, to no avail. I'm US-based using it in english. Anyone resolve this issue? Thanks

Same thing here. It disappeared for a while after my initial upgrade to 4.4, then randomly appeared. I just wiped my N4 again, and it's gone again. Looks like it must be some kind of bug.

If you long hold the key to the left of the space bar (a comma on a UK keyboard) you get two options. One is for keyboard settings, the other is for voice input......HOWEVER, the voice input button does not seem to do anything. Must be a bug.

I am observing the same problem on Nexus 5 with no voice input button on keyboard (one of the features I use the most).

"Voice input key" in Google keyboard settings is definitely enabled too.

I am in the UK and I seem to recall the device being initially configured with system-language set to English (United Kingdom). However, I recall changing this to English (United States) so as to workaround the issue with the 'OK Google' feature on Google Now screen. No matter what type of configuration I set up now (e.g. language switching UK/US and 'voice input key' option on/off etc) I can't get the voice input button on the keyboard.

It seems that, along with other observations on this thread, that this is simply a defect in Kitkat that Google should be addressing soon.

Update: i've just installed the app swiftkey which has resolved this issue for me.
    Last edited by Mark1010; 02-12-2014 at 04:25 PM.
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  

I don't think it's a bug anymore. I have now had two different devices (Nexus 5 and Moto G), and both models have this issue, and in both cases it's dependent from the software I'm using (Chrome does't have the voice button, other apps do). I think the application is able to control what special keys appear on the keyboard. So I really think it's a Chrome issue. Maybe Google thinks people don't need voice typing to input an URL.

Thumbs down Re: No voice input button on keyboard

I updated to KitKat TODAY. Love it.
    I noticed this problem TODAY. Why I'm on here.
    By chance, I received a Google Keyboard update TODAY. It was pretty neat giving us the option to type whole sentences using gesture controls just by flying over the space bar. I was hoping this update would fix this problem - it did not.
    One of the best features of the Android keyboard and KitKat gets released without it... a little more time in beta next time maybe Google?

I had to go in and install the preinstalled language of us English then it showed up for me in hangouts
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast