Something doesn't add up

ajpri

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
So as we know, the reason that there's 2 photo apps is because Gallery is part of the Android Open Source Project (AOSP). That is easy.
But here's what I don't understand...
Hangouts is a Google app, those are not part of the AOSP, like photos is by Google and not part of the AOSP. So why is there no messaging app and only hangouts if Nexus devices are mostly AOSP+GApps?

Note: I don't have a nexus 5 nor any KitKat device, or have I used one.

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Well Google compiled it so it's their decision to leave it out, if you install an AOSP rom for Nexus 5 instead it will come with the Messenger app. Or just copy it over and put it in /system/app.

Last edited:

ajpri

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
Well you compiled it so it's their decision to leave it out, if you install an AOSP rom for Nexus 5 instead it will come with the Messenger app. Or just copy it over and put it in /system/app.

I'm not talking about the AOSP ROM. I'm talking about THE AOSP, from source.android.com, the Google Android (unmodified)

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm not talking about the AOSP ROM. I'm talking about THE AOSP, from source.android.com, the Google Android (unmodified)

So you are talking about gapps that have to be flashed with AOSP ROMs?

From a Sprint Moto X using AC forums app

ajpri

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
So you are talking about gapps that have to be flashed with AOSP ROMs?

I'm talking about the AOSP, the Android Project, The Google one. The official Android, no modifications

Posted via Android Central App on my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 (Android 4.2.2)

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm talking about the AOSP, the Android Project, The Google one. The official Android, no modifications

When flashing a custom ROM you need to flash gapps as well. In gapps there is a text messaging app.

ajpri

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
When flashing a custom ROM you need to flash gapps as well. In gapps there is a text messaging app.

I'm not talking about Flashing.

AOSP is also the name of THE Android (source.android.com)

I'm asking why there are 2 photo apps and not 2 messaging apps because the Nexus 5 is Android KitKat (unmodified)

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site

I'm asking why there are 2 photo apps and not 2 messaging apps because the Nexus 5 is Android KitKat (unmodified)

Since you have neither a Nexus 5 nor Kit Kat, why do you care what Google has put on it's own Nexus device? They can do whatever they want. Google has also indicated they may not include the same Nexus 5 launcher in other Kit Kat device updates.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site

The ROM shipped with the Nexus 5 is not plain AOSP. It's slightly modified to feature the latest and greatest Google wants to show off. That could be a combination of software and hardware, with the emphasis being primarily software and/or products, i.e. apps and services.

Yes, Nexus devices are considered "Vanilla". This is due to the OS not featuring an "overlay" or "skin", i.e. Touchwiz, Sense, etc. It's a device built by LG for Google and Google will remove/add anything they feel is necessary to push it's products forward. In this case, they want to push the new SMS integration with Hangouts. You're right that a stock SMS App is not included. However, that can be easily solved by downloading one of the many available in the Play Store - this is no different than an OEM pushing their own, modified messaging app.

The point here is that Nexus and AOSP are two different things. The ROM shipped with the Nexus 5 is built from AOSP, but the end product is not pure AOSP.

Last edited:

ajpri

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
Thanks. I think I'm going crazy or something.
And I do intend on a Nexus 5 as a Christmas present to/from me. Still thinking about it though?

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Thanks. I think I'm going crazy or something.
And I do intend on a Nexus 5 as a Christmas present to/from me. Still thinking about it though…

No worries. A lot of people think that Nexus and AOSP are the same, which is not true. The Nexus 5 is a good device, so if you plan on getting one from the Play Store you might want to considering ordering soon, since inventory is low and shipping is delayed several weeks for all devices, with the exception of the black 16gb, which is listed as out of stock.