Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Samsung Galaxy S4 doesn't find contacts when i create a text message

Since I updated my phone yesterday...When I go to create a text message and enter the recipient it is not finding anyone. There is a few names/e-mails that pop up but not the ones im looking for. My address book is still the same and it is people I regularly message. Help please, really frustrating
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 01-25-2014 at 11:47 AM.

Default Re: samsung galaxy s4 doesn't find contacts when i create a text message

Hi and Welcome are you sure you have Android 4.4 on your GS4??

Quote Originally Posted by kristikrum View Post
    Since I updated my phone yesterday...When I go to create a text message and enter the recipient it is not finding anyone. There is a few names/e-mails that pop up but not the ones im looking for. My address book is still the same and it is people I regularly message. Help please, really frustrating
    MacBookPro, iPad, iPod. My go to device are Nexus5 and Nexus 7(2013).

Default Re: samsung galaxy s4 doesn't find contacts when i create a text message

Quote Originally Posted by NexusNick123 View Post
    Hi and Welcome are you sure you have Android 4.4 on your GS4??
    The poster never claimed to have updated to 4.4. He/she is likely talking about the recent 4.3 update.
    Pat

Galaxy Nexus 10 - stock KitKat 4.4.4
    Galaxy Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) - stock KitKat 4.4.4
    Chromecast
    Nexus 5 - stock KitKat 4.4.4
    NexusNick123 likes this.

Not sure I have an answer other than many are reporting issues with the recent update.
    Pat

Chromecast

Quote Originally Posted by patruns View Post
    The poster never claimed to have updated to 4.4. He/she is likely talking about the recent 4.3 update.
    I think so as well... Just asking because I never heard of this issue.
    MacBookPro, iPad, iPod. My go to device are Nexus5 and Nexus 7(2013).

Having this same issue. Pretty frustrating.

Look through the threads and you will see that this update seems to be breaking a lot of things in the S4.
    Pat

Chromecast
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

I guess it is just 4.3 update, I just assumed it was kitkat. I will look through other forums, thanks
    elizabath likes this.

Global Posts
    5,669 Global Posts
    ROM
    None

Welcome to the forums! 😆

I already updated to 4.3 but haven't seen this problem. My carrier is Sprint.
    Last I heard it was people on Verizon the ones with the worst problems.

Sent From Inside The TARDIS in a Galaxy S4 Away!
    If I'm very clever, and I'm more than clever, I'm brilliant! I might just save the World, or rip it apart!

I have had the same problem since my s4 recently did an update. I have Verizon as a carrier. Has anyone found a solution for the s4 not finding contacts when you create a text message.

I was having the same issue. Powered down, restarted and the problem is gone.

Global Posts
    5,669 Global Posts
    ROM
    None

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Turner View Post
    I was having the same issue. Powered down, restarted and the problem is gone.
    Welcome to the forums!
    👍😃

If I'm very clever, and I'm more than clever, I'm brilliant! I might just save the World, or rip it apart!

I just updated my s4 last night. I'm on sprint and am experiencing the same issue. I go to my contacts and they are all in tact. When I go into the text icon, I only have like 30% of my contacts available to text. I can text the missing folks by using the text button from within the contacts area but not in the text app. This is a real problem when I try to text a picture. Powering of did not solve the issue.

I have exactly the same problem since the update to 4.3. Can't find a way to solve it. This is what happens: open screen for new text message, click in the receivers line, start typing. A lot comes up but most contacts with mobile numbers are missing. A lot of other useless records come up (e-mail addresses, LinkedIn, etc.).

1. Touch Apps.
    2. Scroll to and touch Settings.
    3. Touch More.
    4. Scroll to and touch About device.
    5. Touch Status.
    6. Scroll down to view your phone number.
    Thanked by:
    elizabath likes this.

Some Network provider does not set it up, that is why some phone does not recognize the SIM card numbers.But we will also try to research more about it and when we find a solution we will post and add it to this article.

Global Posts
    5,669 Global Posts
    ROM
    None

Quote Originally Posted by DennisMu View Post
    I have exactly the same problem since the update to 4.3. Can't find a way to solve it. This is what happens: open screen for new text message, click in the receivers line, start typing. A lot comes up but most contacts with mobile numbers are missing. A lot of other useless records come up (e-mail addresses, LinkedIn, etc.).
    I've checked and I don't have this problem.
    *Knocks on wood*

I started having this same issue as well but I'm still running Android 4.2.2. Any ideas, Samsung?

How do you have them saved on your phone? Are they on your SIM card or on the device? If so, try importing them to your google contacts.

Restarting my phone worked too! I was getting soooo frustrated with this issue but now it's gone Another problem I noticed is that if you use swipe and try to backspace at all, it will eliminate the entire word. For example, if you were trying to swipe the word "hey" but accidentally came up with "her," if you wanted to just backspace and type the letter "y" to replace the "r," it will delete the entire word and you have to start over. Some people might like this, but I find it especially annoying if you are typing a word that doesn't necessarily exist but need to use half of an existing word. Like say I wrote "damn" but wanted to make the new word "dammit," the new update will delete the whole word instead of letting me take out the "n" and add "mit." Kind of small, but for someone like me who is quick on swiping, it's a pain to start over and over again. I wish it were optional, if anyone has any suggestions let me know!

Global Posts
    5,669 Global Posts
    ROM
    None

Quote Originally Posted by curst91 View Post
    Restarting my phone worked too! I was getting soooo frustrated with this issue but now it's gone Another problem I noticed is that if you use swipe and try to backspace at all, it will eliminate the entire word. For example, if you were trying to swipe the word "hey" but accidentally came up with "her," if you wanted to just backspace and type the letter "y" to replace the "r," it will delete the entire word and you have to start over. Some people might like this, but I find it especially annoying if you are typing a word that doesn't necessarily exist but need to use half of an existing word. Like say I wrote "damn" but wanted to make the new word "dammit," the new update will delete the whole word instead of letting me take out the "n" and add "mit." Kind of small, but for someone like me who is quick on swiping, it's a pain to start over and over again. I wish it were optional, if anyone has any suggestions let me know!
    That's one of the things I welcomed!
    The Google kb had it from a while back. So I stop using the Samsung kb and only used Google.

Now I'm back on using the stock kb.
    Just chose the option for the keyboard to save/remember the words you type.
    That's how I do it, and next time I swipe those words, voil! No problem!

Global Posts
    5,669 Global Posts
    ROM
    None

By the way, welcome to Android Central curst91. 👍😃

Yep! Same issue for all Galaxy S4 Users I would assume. I just updated mine and have the exact same issue.

Global Posts
    2 Global Posts

I updated to 4.3 and noticed when I create a new sms or mms with stock app, I can't search names correctly. For instance if I want John Doe... typing J will give me all names, including john doe. If I type joh... everything disappears.

Global Posts
    5,669 Global Posts
    ROM
    None

I just got an update this morning for my GS4, I have Sprint.
    Samsung Galaxy S4 doesn't find contacts when i create a text message-1387202282881.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast