Question about Immersive Mode

CoolBeit

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys, quick question:

As far as I understand, immersive mode can be implemented in two ways in 4.4

KitKat Feature Spotlight: Apps Can Now Go Truly Full-Screen, Hide The Navigation Bar

Either the user has to swipe down to bring back the navigation bar (the book readers, games example) or touch the screen (the video players example).
Is there a way (even if it involves a custom rom) to make video players use the swipe down implementation? The reason I ask is that I have a toddler who I often let watch cartoons on youtube (ie while waiting for food at a restaraunt...). He constantly touches buttons on the navigation bar on accident which stops the video and then I have to take the phone from him, restart the app, restart the video, and give it back. I would love to be able to use the swipe-down implementation in this scenario. Anyone know of a way to do this?

CoolBeit

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
The YouTube app has had full screen mode for quite a while now.

But I want it to be full-screen until I swipe down as opposed to when I just touch the screen. The swipe down immersive mode is new to 4.4, but youtube doesn't use that implementation.

Thomas Esposito

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
I have this problem as well with my toddler. Even with immersive mode, I wouldn't be surprised if he randomly executed a swipe gesture to bring up the navigation bars.

In fact, I suspect it won't be uncommon for users to unintentionally reveal the nav bar with a swipe while playing games.

This feature should really use a 2-finger swipe gesture to reduce the likelihood of unintentional swipes. Or at least make it configurable.