Why Isn't My SGS4 Running 4.4?

mathnerdm

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
So I just checked for updates on my gs4 and it told me I had one for 7xx mb. I installed it but it ended up being 4.3...... I don't get it, shouldn't it be 4.4? Isn't kit kat out and available for the GS4? Any help and explaining maybe what I don't understand would be awesome! Thanks!

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
KitKat is not yet available for ANY Samsung device. The update that's been rolling out to the Galaxy S4 is, indeed, Android 4.3 (your device shipped with Android 4.2 on board). But fear not, it will get updated eventually.

JoeyyNY

May 10, 2013
Visit site
KitKat is not yet available for ANY Samsung device. The update that's been rolling out to the Galaxy S4 is, indeed, Android 4.3 (your device shipped with Android 4.2 on board). But fear not, it will get updated eventually.

20 Years later

Sent from my SM-N900T using AC Forums mobile app

mathnerdm

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
Ohhhh ok thanks! I was confused cuz I had just seen in my apps that needed updates saying they were now compatible with 4.4, leading me to believe the update I had was going to be 4.4. As you can tell I'm pretty out of the whole hardware world lol. Thanks again!

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
We're all here to help :)

LOL Joey, but give Sammy some credit... it only took them a few months to update to 4.3 ;) However I should expect KitKat to hit the Note 3 first, then the S4. Reports point to somewhere around January at least for the phablet.

CooCooCaChoo

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
Yeah if you want kit kat WHEN it comes out you have to have newish Nexus hardware or pray that the manufacturer of your phone / tablet is good and will work hard to push it out the door in a timely manner.

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Ohhhh ok thanks! I was confused cuz I had just seen in my apps that needed updates saying they were now compatible with 4.4, leading me to believe the update I had was going to be 4.4. As you can tell I'm pretty out of the whole hardware world lol. Thanks again!

When an app says it is update to be compatible with a new version of android, say 4.4, it just means the developer who created the app has made it compatible to run on a device with that new software. And they just state that in their "what's new" section so people know that. That's all that is.

Posted via Android Central App

Varun Sarathy

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
Sorry to disappoint you but KitKat is only available to the Nexus 5 as of now. Google has announced that it will be available to the following devices in a couple of weeks :
Nexus 4
Nexus 7 (both 2012 and 2013 editions)
Nexus 10
Galaxy S4 (Google Play Edition)
HTC One (Google Play Edition)
Galaxy Nexus (not too sure)

TechTinker

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Sorry to disappoint you but KitKat is only available to the Nexus 5 as of now. Google has announced that it will be available to the following devices in a couple of weeks :
Nexus 4
Nexus 10

No Galaxy Nexus due to driver issues. But you forgot the Moto X and Maybe Moto G (haven't read too much about it). 4.4 for Moto X is already leaked and in soak testing.

dan1431

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
KitKat should hit the S4 and HTC One at some point in the future, but will it be noticeable with the manufacturer skins is a good question as well?

Dan

ne0ne

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
Nexus 4
Nexus 10

Its already out for the 4 & 7.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
It will take time for Samsung to roll it out, Nexus devices are barely getting it, Samsung needs to integrated it with their Touchwiz and introduce lag features. Them it have to go through carriers as well. Couple months I think, sometimes in Q1 of 2014.

sent from tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke