Android 4.4's launcher not installed correctly on Nexus 4

theonecalledben

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
Installed the OTA 4.4 update for Nexus 4 earlier, which went fine except it didn't include the home launcher. So I just installed that separately except it doesn't appear to have worked correctly. The bars are not transparent when the phone is locked, and I'm sure that's not the only thing that shouldn't be different. Any help on how to get the launcher completely working? (I'd take screenshots but that function isn't working...)

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
The factory 4.4 update on the Nexus 4 doesn't include that feature. If you found the Nexus 5 launcher and sideloaded/installed that, and still don't have those features, then it could be an issue with the .apk you found.

ajpri

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
The lock screen is separate from the home screen.

Posted via Android Central App on my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 (Android 4.2.2)

MetalMike901

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
Make sure your Google Search app is the most current before installing GEL. Should be 3.1.8.914827

Posted via Android Central App on my white Nexus 4 with StraightTalk

theonecalledben

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
The factory 4.4 update on the Nexus 4 doesn't include that feature. If you found the Nexus 5 launcher and sideloaded/installed that, and still don't have those features, then it could be an issue with the .apk you found.

I might have installed a fan's attempt at replicating the N5 launcher on N4 rather than the real deal.

The lock screen is separate from the home screen.

Posted via Android Central App on my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 (Android 4.2.2)

I've seen videos of the Nexus 4 with Android 4.4 where the lock screen bars have also been transparent.

Make sure your Google Search app is the most current before installing GEL. Should be 3.1.8.914827

Posted via Android Central App on my white Nexus 4 with StraightTalk

I definitely have that version (the latest).

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
There is no issue, you are asking for something that Google has never made for the Nexus 4. The Google launcher is for the N5 only, and it only affect the home screen, the lockscreen is separate. The videos you see on youtube with the transparent lockscreen are running root with modification or custom roms.

You can flash the modified framework to make lockscreen transparent if you want.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781