Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By alltechinside
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Hangouts: touch to download MMS, retrying...

Has anyone else been having trouble receiving MMS messages?

Using Nexus 5 on T-Mobile
    Have read some people say it's hangouts and some say carrier...

Posted via Android Central App

Default Re: Hangouts: touch to download MMS, retrying...

Quote Originally Posted by youngjediboy View Post
    Has anyone else been having trouble receiving MMS messages?

Using Nexus 5 on T-Mobile
    Have read some people say it's hangouts and some say carrier...

Just use 8sms. It is based on android 4.3 messaging app. The issue is probably the carrier, but I never liked using hangouts app anyways.

8SMS Link
    Thanked by:
    _YoKolorMeBadd likes this.

I have the same exact problem with my Nexus 5, using T-Mobile. A fix to this would be splendid. Per chance, does anybody also know if Hangouts has a feature for you to send contact details to an sms as well? EX: I want to send contact Bob contact Amy's phone number. Is there an easy way to do that?

Quote Originally Posted by alltechinside View Post
    Just use 8sms. It is based on android 4.3 messaging app. The issue is probably the carrier, but I never liked using hangouts app anyways.

8SMS Link
    Its not the carrier its the app. But yeah we should just forget about the stock messages being broken since u think there's better 3rd party apps...

Anyway, this issue is blowing up all over the google hangouts forum. Literally all instances of MMS in hangouts is busted in non nexus 5 phones and some 5s. Google is not responding and totally dropping the ball.

Same issue with AT&T and a Nexus 5.

Verizon Wireless here. Same problem receiving MMS - though not all the time. Most MMS come through just fine. Others take 5-10 mins of me clicking on them trying to redownload them. Then I had an MMS download that I could see in the chat window but soon as I clicked on the image to SAVE it, all I would get is a black window.

How does Google expect people to use Hangouts if it takes so long to fix broken crap like this? I'm tempted to go back to the stock messaging app. I was really excited when SMS for hangouts came out because I thought I'd be able to SMS with my Google Voice number via my Tablet via Hangouts. As usual, hoping for too much.

I'm using a Nexus 4 (with Straight Talk AT&T), and when I got the 4.4 update, I switched to Hangouts for messaging. When I realized that MMS didn't work, I switched back to the stock messaging app, but MMS doesn't work there either, now. So I cleared the data from Hangouts and disabled it, but there still no luck with MMS in stock messaging.

wtf did I do to my phone?! Is this fixable?

Is anyone still getting this message receiving mms (picture) messages? I am unable to send or receive mms. Even after the 2.02 update for hangouts that was supppsed to fix it...did not fix it for me. In fact I never even noticed the issue on my Nexus 5 till a few days AFTER the 2.02 update on December 9th.

I actually like hangouts better than I thought I would and prefer to keep it. But if it is not fixed very soon then looks like I might have tondownload my first 3rd party sms app.

galaxy S3 Metropcs here same problem, root and ROM to kitkat otherwise I would be having 4.1.2...metropcs takes forever to upgrade android. I thought it was only a problem for metropcs.

I tried many times to access to my message by mms. My friend sent me a picture I received the message touch download mms message when I go to the icon message that message is not in there only under hangouts I get that message. Please fix that problem

Global Posts
    3,606 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB 4.2

I was not able to receive an mms from my friend earlier today. It just showed as a black box in hangouts. I have a Moto X on AT&T running 4.4.2.

Beamed via my Nexus 7 from the AC Forums app.

Quote Originally Posted by RosaNavarro View Post
    I tried many times to access to my message by mms. My friend sent me a picture I received the message touch download mms message when I go to the icon message that message is not in there only under hangouts I get that message. Please fix that problem
    This is a fan forum. The people here are no different than you. If you want to tell Google about an issue you will need to go to Google product forum not android central. They are well aware of the MMS issues and have sent out two updates to fix.

i get same issue a lot with hangouts on verizon, running 4.4 stock, moto x

anther issue ill run in to is that it wont always send the messages unless i turn wifi off. for example, at home, i have full bars, but am naturally connected to wifi. messages wont send some times until i turn wifi off.

problem has gotten worse. i no longer receive any kind of messages if im on wifi. i have to turn wifi off to receive/send sms/mms. i refuse to use any 3rd party apps as well as this is such bs and i shouldnt have to dl another app to do what the phones basic function is. and people wonder why everyone turns to iphone, bc it just works. no one should be struggling or dealing with getting the nonsense basic functions of the phones sole purpose to work. make/receive calls. send/receive texts. but nope. imessage ruined everything. hangouts isnt as polished as it should be.

I had this problem. I have Samsung Galaxy S4 US Cellular. On first screen in Hangouts where it has all of the messages from contacts. Hit menu, then settings, then SMS, go to bottom, hit access point names, you should see your carrier info here but you most likely don't. Hit menu and Reset To Default. . For me it put the info needed to work correctly. I now have a carrier there. When i went back to my messages it downloaded all of the ones that wasn't there before. I hope this helps everyone.

hmmm...i dont have "access point names" when i go into SMS...

Yep, I have nothing on that screen like you saw. But when I click to Restore Defaults it says it is doing that but then there is still nothing on the screen. Hmmm. Will have to see if I can find what they are and enter them manually. Thanks for the info!

I had this problem too when I switched to a Note 3 back in Novemeber 2013. MMS and Group messages would not work as long as I was on WiFi. If I turned wifi off, they worked fine. I was able to find a solution that 100% fixed this problem for me. Im not guaranteeing it will work for you and your phone on your specific carrier, but this is how I fixed it on my phone.

It involves the APN (Access Point Names) settings in the Networks options. What I did was went in there and copied down all of my Carriers Default APN settings. I then created a new APN. I typed in all of my phones Default APN settings, but changed 2 lines. And it has to do with the "APN protocol".

For APN protocol I changed it from just IPv6 to IPV4/IPv6
    My phone has "APN roaming protocol" too just below, I changed that line to the IPv4/IPv6 too just for good measure.

After I added the IPv4 to APN protocol, eureka, I was able to send and receive MMS and Group Messages while connected to all WiFI without it failing or saying "push to download" rubbish.

Maybe this will work for you all? It did for me! I found this solution after 2 months of searching for solution from an obscure xda forum post. Good luck!

Edit - I forgot to mention that if anyone is having this problem while using T-Mobile for their Carrier, you have to turn off "WiFi Calling" or select "Cellular Preferred" for this to work. Otherwise you phone will still be trying to send/receive MMS through WiFi and it will fail due to those messages only working through an active Data Connection.

I have had this problem recently as well. don't know how long it has existed as I only recently switched from Android Contacts to Hangouts as I loved the integration with my PC.

Unfortunately, I just re enabled Google Contacts and sent an MMS pix that has been utterly impossible to send via Hangouts.

Hard to believe that they haven't noticed and fixed this major bug!

Ah well back to Google Contacts

Oldoobie

I cant get any of my picture from mms message,on my phone #9549347311

Global Posts
    79 Global Posts

I still have this problem from time to time. NEXUS 5 on Rogers. Tap to retry the download always fails. Anyone else still with this issue?