Kit Kat No Longer Supports Flash in Browsers

sting7k

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
The sooner you stop visiting websites that cling to flash player the sooner they will be forced to move to modern video and we will all be better for it. Let go of flash already, it needs die and go away. I don't even install it on my Windows computers anymore.

NoraMelua

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
It's also worth noting that some flash-based websites offer an Android app as a replacement. Or a mobile version where HTML5 instead of Flash is used automatically.

Posted via Android Central App

mistasheppard

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
This worked for me, let me know if it works for you. Load the page in with the "Request Desktop Site" checked and when you get the error, uncheck the box and refresh.

**edit** In FireFox, haven't tried this in Chrome

Last edited:

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm tired of reading people blaming Google for abandoning their precious Flash, so I'll just leave this here:
An Update on Flash Player and Android

Google do not own Flash, they have no obligation or any responsibility for it working with their OS. There is no Google fault in Flash not working on Android. Stay with 4.3 if you want to use it.

This worked for me, let me know if it works for you. Load the page in with the "Request Desktop Site" checked and when you get the error, uncheck the box and refresh.

**edit** In FireFox, haven't tried this in Chrome
That could be HTML5, not Flash.

elizabath

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Well honestly speaking i believe there has been some changes in Android 4.4 that makes Flash not work. Some libraries it needs were removed. Also Adobe has not supported Android with Flash for a good while now since Flash 11.1 and Android 4.0.

Bazza1

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Yes, yes - I 'get' that there are those of us out there who insist that Flash is a terrible idea and that everyone who owns any website worth viewing should be writing in HTML 5 instead, but as that's been the case for years now (and was certainly the excuse used by Apple for their lack of support in iOS) and still there is still no wide acceptance as HTML 5 as the de facto viewing language, folks need to get over it and keep banging on about what 'should' be the case.

And any OS and browser should just accept that and offer the user the most means of viewing websites as they are now being produced. Get over yourselves, people.

sting7k

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
You might find your web browsing surprisingly gimpled altered and limited should you decide to boycott Flash-employing websites.

I haven't missed flash since 2007 with my iPhone. I no longer install flash on my Windows computers either. I do not miss it. My devices run so much better without that resource hogging securiry nightmare installed.

Try it sometime. You will be surprised how little you actually need it.

D16RR

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
Yes, yes - I 'get' that there are those of us out there who insist that Flash is a terrible idea and that everyone who owns any website worth viewing should be writing in HTML 5 instead, but as that's been the case for years now (and was certainly the excuse used by Apple for their lack of support in iOS) and still there is still no wide acceptance as HTML 5 as the de facto viewing language, folks need to get over it and keep banging on about what 'should' be the case.

And any OS and browser should just accept that and offer the user the most means of viewing websites as they are now being produced. Get over yourselves, people.

So you're saying there should be an app which supports all the stupid, backward people who maintain the provincial notion the entire web should be open to their mobile device? I can live with that. :)

Bazza1

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
So you're saying there should be an app which supports all the stupid, backward people who maintain the provincial notion the entire web should be open to their mobile device? I can live with that. :)

Pretty much.
Or until such time as a format that is still not widely or universally used or accepted actually gains a lot more traction. Sure HTML5 might be lovely and make lots of sense (much like, oh, say, insisting everyone should be running full Linux computers rather than what's out there now) but if SFA wish to use it, its not much better than proof of concept.

If you want to push the issue - calling Flash archaic, stupid, backward and a security issue - get your ISP to block all sites using it. Then we'll see how many website developers (or viewers) make the move. Or cause an outcry.

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
On the desktop side, I am using Linux without flash installed just fine. Google Chrome have flash player and mp4 codec integrated if needed, but I don't even have it installed. Firefox have addons that force YouTube to play videos in HTML5 contents. Or I can set the user agent to mobile temporarily.

sent from tapatalk