KitKat breaking Pdanet?

spthomas

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I used pdanet to connect my tablet on Thursday, and it worked fine. Then, I got the KitKat update Friday morning. Now, it won't connect. Hmm. Anyone else experience that?

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

spthomas

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I sent a note to PDANet+ support and they said it's a known issue caused by a bug in the Android 4.4 system. It causes apps to fail to recognize the network connection even though it is there. Google has promised to fix this issue in future updates unfortunately we do not know when.
So yes PDANet is broken by KitKat. Still works fine on JB and earlier, I can still tether PC to Phone that's on JB. Just not my KitKat tablet.

Markurski

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
I know this is an old thread, but I just checked on Google play today (may 19) and the new pdanet+ version 4.15 says wifi mode is now supported on Vzw Samsung phones running Android 4.4 kitkat. I don't know if that's wifi hotspot though. I've sent an email to June fabrics requesting clarification. I'm still running 4.3 on my Samsung note 3 and haven't had the balls to download 4.4 yet. Any ideas out there?

Markurski

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
It's in a different thread from DMAC5329;"Verizon S3:How to stop the 4.3 update." It seems to work for 4.4 also. It may only work for Samsung phones on VZW as I have a note 3. Basically all you do when you have the update ota icon in the top notification bar is pulldown the notification bar and longpress on the update notification. You will see app info pop up. Hit it and then hit force close. You'll have to do this each time you start up. It's not a permanent fix but it'll do.

Last edited:

JoyArlene

May 22, 2014
Visit site
Hi, I am brand new here. My Samsung s4 just told me it wants to update to KitKat and I am scared it will stop my phone from giving me my hotspot on pdanet. I am hoping by writing here that I will learn when it is verified that the bug has been fixed. Thanks, Joy

AlkisYama

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
I came here looking for something else but found this topic, I do own a Note2 on Verizon network and did the upgrade to 4.4.2 and my PdaNet works fine, but now every time I activate my Hotspot I get the following... "Almost there...an extra step is needed on this phone. Please select "Go to settings" below and turn on "Mobile Hotstpot within 30 second". then I switch it to ON and it works fine.

mty msi

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I just checked PdaNet+'s website and they claim the Verizon Galaxy S3 does work w/ 4.4. There is a chart showing different phone manufacturers & models & which version of Android works w/ PdaNet+. My AT&T S3 does work in the Bluetooth Dun mode after the 4.4 update which is how I've always used it, the WiFi hotspot never worked on my S3. Also the USB tethering option works but of course the Bluetooth Dun is wireless.

FoxFi Devices

Last edited: