Does Hangouts receive SMS texts over wifi even when cellular is off?

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Can anybody confirm whether or not you get SMS texts delivered to Hangouts even when you are in airplane mode but have wifi enabled? Thanks.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Can anybody confirm whether or not you get SMS texts delivered to Hangouts even when you are in airplane mode but have wifi enabled? Thanks.

If you are on airplane mode WiFi will shut off as well. All wireless features are disabled.

Also, text messages are still Sent through the carrier, so a mobile connection is needed. If that's disabled you won't receive text messages. The only time you'll receive messages with mobile disconnected is if you have any service that sends over Internet data services, such as Google Voice.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Alex Hernandez4

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
If you are on airplane mode WiFi will shut off as well. All wireless features are disabled.

Also, text messages are still Sent through the carrier, so a mobile connection is needed. If that's disabled you won't receive text messages. The only time you'll receive messages with mobile disconnected is if you have any service that sends over Internet data services, such as Google Voice.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

I know its been a few months since this question was asked, but just to clarify. On airplane mode WiFi does get disabled but it can be re-enabled by simply toggling your WiFi back on. I am still looking for an answer to the op myself.

Last edited:

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
SMS are sent through the carrier network, no connection to the carrier, no SMS received. If you just MUST get a text while on a plane, you need to use Google Voice with a different number and a WiFi connection.

What ever happened to putting on a pair of headphones and listening to music while reading a book on the plane, why must we ALWAYS be connected? What makes today different from 10 years ago in that respect other than we're TOO connected?

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I know its been a few months since this question was asked, but just to clarify. On airplane mode WiFi does get disabled but it can be re-enabled by simply toggling your WiFi back on. I am still looking for an answer to the op myself.

I never knew that you could toggle WiFi back on -- take a look at the answer provided above by hallux, seems to make sense since sms is sent via the carrier network.

anon(5758877)

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
'What ever happened to putting on a pair of headphones and listening to music while reading a book on the plane, why must we ALWAYS be connected? What makes today different from 10 years ago in that respect other than we're TOO connected?'

The question was a how to, a technical question. Straightforward enough.
But you just had to do a lecture. So sanctimonious.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz