Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default TIPS: Working Flash Player for Dolphin Browser on KitKat

An XDA member, surviveland, made a modification of the Flash Player app to work on KitKat., but you will need to use Dolphin Browser and it's Jetpack engine for it to work.

For instructions and download of the modified Flash Player: [Guide][Flash]How to play flash video on Android 4.4 Kitkat - xda-developers.

Note: Understand you will need to sideload an unofficial version of Flash Player, so it is up to you whether you want to take the risk.

Detailed instructions:
    0. If you have an existing Adobe Flash Player app installed on your device, uninstall it first.

1. Install both Dolphin and its Jetpack engine from the Playstore:
    Dolphin's Browser
    Dolphin's Jetpack engine

2. Download and sideload the modified Flash Player APK
    See 2nd step in the original thread for the download link

Go to the link above from your Android device and download "Adobe Flash Player 11.1.apk" directly into your device.

When the download is done, open the the "Downloads" app in your App Drawer, tap on "Adobe Flash Player 11.1.apk" to install it.

Enabling sideloading: If you haven't allowed sideloading on your device, instead of installing the app, it will pop up a security warning window, on it tap on "Settings" which will bring you to the "Settings -> Security" screen. Scroll down and check to enable "Unknown sources". Press Back to go back to the "Downloads" app, then tap on "Adobe Flash Player 11.1.apk" again to install. (see 1st screenshot below)
    Make sure to leave "Verify apps" enabled so Google can scan sideloaded apps for virus and malware.

3. Open Dolphin browser app, go into Setting, make sure these three things are enabled:
    -Dolphin Jetpack
    -Desktop mode (generally websites only display Flash videos in desktop mode)
    -Flash Player (in Web Content menu)
    (see 2nd and 3rd screenshot below)

I personally don't use Dolphin browser or Flash, so I only tested this briefly. In Dolphin browser, you will probably want to set Flash Player to "Always Enabled" (instead of On Demand) for best results.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails TIPS: Working Flash Player for Dolphin Browser on KitKat-sideload.jpg   TIPS: Working Flash Player for Dolphin Browser on KitKat-settings.jpg   TIPS: Working Flash Player for Dolphin Browser on KitKat-flash.jpg  
    Last edited by someguy01234; 12-02-2013 at 04:17 PM.
    Thanked by 11:
    + Show/Hide list of the thanked
    jairusz, mr_nobody, Greg C and 2 others like this.

Default Re: TIPS: Working Flash Player for Dolphin Browser on KitKat

Thank you! This works on my 2013 N7 w/ 4.4. Now all someone has do do is come up with a way to make this work with Firefox and I'll be 100% satisfied. But this is a giant step in the right direction.

Global Posts
    876 Global Posts

YES! Works on my Nexus 5. Now I can watch Amazon prime videos while working out again! Thank you!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:
    Greg C 
    Greg C likes this.

Global Posts
    1,588 Global Posts
    ROM
    Android 4.4.2

Quote Originally Posted by someguy01234 View Post
    An XDA member, surviveland, made a modification of the Flash Player app to work on KitKat., but you will need to use Dolphin Browser and it's Jetpack engine for it to work.

For instructions and download of the modified Flash Player: [Guide][Flash]How to play flash video on Android 4.4 Kitkat - xda-developers.

Note: Understand you will need to sideload an unofficial version of Flash Player, so it is up to you whether you want to task the risk.

Detailed instructions:
    0. If you have an existing Adobe Flash Player app installed on your device, uninstall it first.

1. Install both Dolphin and its Jetpack engine from the Playstore:
    Dolphin's Browser
    Dolphin's Jetpack engine

2. Download and sideload the modified Flash Player APK
    See 2nd step in the original thread for the download link

Go to the link above from your Android device and download "Adobe Flash Player 11.1.apk" directly into your device.

When the download is done, open the the "Downloads" app in your App Drawer, tap on "Adobe Flash Player 11.1.apk" to install it.

Enabling sideloading: If you haven't allowed sideloading on your device, instead of installing the app, it will pop up a security warning window, on it tap on "Settings" which will bring you to the "Settings -> Security" screen. Scroll down and check to enable "Unknown sources". Press Back to go back to the "Downloads" app, then tap on "Adobe Flash Player 11.1.apk" again to install. (see 1st screenshot below)
    Make sure to leave "Verify apps" enabled so Google can scan sideloaded apps for virus and malware.

3. Open Dolphin browser app, go into Setting, make sure these three things are enabled:
    -Dolphin Jetpack
    -Desktop mode (generally websites only display Flash videos in desktop mode)
    -Flash Player (in Web Content menu)
    (see 2nd and 3rd screenshot below)

I personally don't use Dolphin browser or Flash, so I only tested this briefly. In Dolphin browser, you will probably want to set Flash Player to "Always Enabled" (instead of On Demand) for best results.
    This works perfectly! Thank you!
    If my post helped you out...PLEASE be kind and hit the THANKS button.

Global Posts
    1,588 Global Posts
    ROM
    Android 4.4.2

Quote Originally Posted by yfan View Post
    YES! Works on my Nexus 5. Now I can watch Amazon prime videos while working out again! Thank you!

I didn't know I could watch Amazon Prime video using Dolphin.... thanks!
    yfan likes this.

Global Posts
    876 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Greg C View Post
    I didn't know I could watch Amazon Prime video using Dolphin.... thanks!
    Yep, that's the only reason I have even been looking for this. I don't otherwise need flash on my phone. But Amazon refuses to release an Instant Video app on Android so this is the next best thing.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Yep, that's the only reason I have even been looking for this. I don't otherwise need flash on my phone. But Amazon refuses to release an Instant Video app on Android so this is the next best thing.
    Well because they want you to buy their tablet, especially with the Cyber Monday sale of the Kindle. But I'll skip even at that price. The device is just so locked down.

Global Posts
    876 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by someguy01234 View Post
    Well because they want you to buy their tablet, especially with the Cyber Monday sale of the Kindle. But I'll skip even at that price. The device is just so locked down.
    I agree but the perplexing thing is that Amazon has an instant video app for iOS! I would say that they don't think they can chip away at Apple fans but then again they got that ad going poking fun of the iPad air.

How do you use Amazon Prime on an Android Device. I did the Flash install so it works on Dolphin Browser for Youtube and most other sites, but with aforementioned browser the Amazon site tells me it needs Silverlight, which is not available for Android devices.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    876 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zetaprime View Post
    How do you use Amazon Prime on an Android Device. I did the Flash install so it works on Dolphin Browser for Youtube and most other sites, but with aforementioned browser the Amazon site tells me it needs Silverlight, which is not available for Android devices.
    Hmm, it doesn't do that for me. Did you set Flash to "on demand" rather than "always on?" That might make a difference. Also, IIRC, there is a small button somewhere on the interface to tell Amazon to use flash if Silverlight is unavailable.
    Thanked by:

Hmm, it doesn't do that for me. Did you set Flash to "on demand" rather than "always on?" That might make a difference. Also, IIRC, there is a small button somewhere on the interface to tell Amazon to use flash if Silverlight is unavailable.
    Maybe I didn't see that small button. Will try again and look for that button.

Quote Originally Posted by Zetaprime View Post
    Maybe I didn't see that small button. Will try again and look for that button.
    Just tried and this time I saw that button I missed before. It works fine. Thanks for the tip.

Posted via Android Central App

Thanks for sharing the how-to.

Can someone give a little advice to me because I'm feeling a little confused here. I'm not someone who knows all the ins and outs of my gadgets but I usually do well just following the directions on the forums. I did have flash working on my Nexus 10 before the update so I don't have trouble with the basic concept. Here's where my trouble is: I uninstalled flash, downloaded the new version, downloaded Jetpack, enabled desktop, but when I try to find where to enable Jetpack, the option isn't there. According to every faq I see I should have a "more" option when I hit the menu, but I do not. My only options under menu are "share page, downloads, addons, bookmarks, settings, exit." My Dolphin Browser is up to date, so what am I missing? I've looked through all the options in settings but no Jetpack. Thanks for any help you can provide.

I installed Puffin Browser Free, and it works perfectly, without even needing to install Flash Player at all! The free version states that the Flash plug-in works only between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m., but once I got it working during those hours, it now works 24/7. Try it! It works!

BTW, Puffin Browser comes with Flash 11.2.202.258 built-in! No need to install any Flash archive. I use a Nexus 4 KitKat 4.4.2!
    Thanked by 3:
    PNut74 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by vadimladon View Post
    BTW, Puffin Browser comes with Flash 11.2.202.258 built-in! No need to install any Flash archive. I use a Nexus 4 KitKat 4.4.2!
    That Flash is not built in. Puffin processes Flash content on their servers. Performance is not as good as running Flash on your device.

Thanks. I need this for the adult sites
    Thanked by 2:

I'd love to know what Dolphin does that allows Flash to work that Firefox doesn't. Maybe someone could fix Firefox to work since its source is available and could be modified.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

KitKat? Adobe Flash APK is incompatible with 4.2.2 - it is on my Fonepad 7 anyway. Dolphin Jetpack is also incompatible - cannot install it, direct or side-load.

There's a hacked flash apk that let's you use flash on 4.4+ with Dolphin, and now Flashfox as well.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Global Posts
    1,588 Global Posts
    ROM
    Android 4.4.2

Been using it for quite sometime and it works great.

i have also found great tutorial <a href="http://www.smartphonestutorials.com"> Android 4.4 KitKat </a>

Can i watch streamhunter (sport live streaming site) by doing this?

Quote Originally Posted by Santosa Tjiayono View Post
    Can i watch streamhunter (sport live streaming site) by doing this?

Works on my note 3

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast