Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 33
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Reverting from Android 4.4 to 4.3...

    A brief skim through the sections here on AndroidForums, or on Google's own forums, or for that matter just doing a bit of googling is more than enough to see how wide-spread the problems are with Android 4.4 on a variety of different devices.

    Some issues are correctable through doing a factory wipe. Other issues can be corrected through reloading the image from Google's own factory image repository. However, some things (in particular the battery drain issue) seems to be an issue within 4.4 itself, and the only solution I've found has been to revert from 4.4 to 4.3.

    So I'm posting this thread and asking the more knowledgeable users here on AndroidForums to post clear, concise directions for acquiring and flashing these devices back to the Google "factory image".

    The reason I'm asking for the community to pitch in is that the instructions I've seen are kind of scattered, are not necessarily up to date, and they can and do vary depending on whether you're doing this with Windows XP, Windows 7, Windows 8, or with Mac OS X, or with Linux.

    I was able to re-flash my Nexus 4 in Lion back to 4.3, but I had to do editing of bash shell scripts and even then had to issue the execution of the appropriate shell script from the exact right spot or else it couldn't find the command, or couldn't execute the command. The directions on Google's site were incomplete, and the ones I found on various message boards seemed more like an author's "best guess" than authoritative "you can trust that this will work" workflows.

    Thanks in advance!

    Posted via Android Central App
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Reverting from Android 4.4 to 4.3...

    Wugfresh.com

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    The Practical BBQ'r !
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Reverting from Android 4.4 to 4.3...

    +1 for wug fresh
    Use wigs tool kit for nexuses and you can press flash to stock. I think if you choose 4.4 initially it will reflash 4.4 so be safe and maybe click 4.3.

    This method is more for when wugs hasn't updated around a new release but will help you do it also. initially it can be confusing but if you go step by step its not that hard. I found dragging the files into CMD to be quicker than typing them. (
    )

    - Android Central App. Remember courage is contagious.
    Tom Fairclough
    Credo faber est quisque fortunae suae
    I believe every man is the artisan of his own fortune
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

    Default Re: Reverting from Android 4.4 to 4.3...

    Great! And, Fairclough, is this pretty consistent through different versions of Windows?

    I still would like to see something posted for Mac OS X.

    Posted via Android Central App
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Reverting from Android 4.4 to 4.3...



    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    The Practical BBQ'r !
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

    Default Re: Reverting from Android 4.4 to 4.3...

    Quote Originally Posted by mawil1013 View Post
    In other words, no there isn't. Got it.

    Posted via Android Central App
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Reverting from Android 4.4 to 4.3...

    Some people had success using wine and one other thing, read the entire article then try the suggestions.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    The Practical BBQ'r !
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Reverting from Android 4.4 to 4.3...

    As far as I know you just have to get adb to work with your device. The instruction is here:

    You can set your computer to type adb and fastboot from anywhere. Like in the guide, you just use a text editor to edit the file .bash_profile located in your home folder.
    Add PATH=${PATH}:/Users/<yourusername>/Desktop/android-sdk-mac_x86/tools to the end of that text file, that folder will point to where the "adb" and "fastboot files" are located. Then log out and back in.

    If you have USB debugging turned on, then you can type adb devices in the command line from any folder and it should see your phone. Or if you are in the bootloader menu (by holding VOL DOWN + POWER), then type fastboot devices.

    Then just download and extract the . Boot your phone into bootloader mode, run the flash-all.sh script and done. Or you can type it out manually, starting from step 5 from this guide: [GUIDE] Nexus 4 - Factory Image Restore
    Last edited by someguy01234; 12-02-2013 at 10:26 PM.
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Reverting from Android 4.4 to 4.3...

    I did mine on windows 8. The one displayed in the video is for 7 I believe. So it should work alright with other models. Sometimes mine acted up and took a few repeat goes but eventually I got the hang of it.

    - Android Central App. Remember courage is contagious.
    Tom Fairclough
    Credo faber est quisque fortunae suae
    I believe every man is the artisan of his own fortune
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

    Default Re: Reverting from Android 4.4 to 4.3...

    See, it's kind of a complicated situation here, at least in my view.

    The way flashing is done fundamentally requires that developer tools are installed. This, therefore, triggers a certain level of assumption about the knowledgeability of the user which doesn't really apply when you're talking about someone who is only using an advanced tool because there isn't any other way of getting at the problem, even though it isn't a tool they would EVER otherwise touch in their life.

    So stuff like that, or the comparatively brute-force way I had to go about it (which itself isn't a part of anything close to a basic user's level of knowledge) means that a normal person trying to follow the online directions I was running across will either not be able to get the software to flash the phone, or won't be able to get it to do a complete job, and therefore won't be able to re-flash their phone back to 4.3 (at least successfully).

    Posted via Android Central App
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Reverting from Android 4.4 to 4.3...

    I'm a dummy with it. It just requires a lot of downloads if you do the YouTube method. Wugz I believe is a bit more straight forward initially, I think their is a guide somewhere this forums to use it. It is a bit of a pain the average Joe can't revert back if they desired by just clicking a button on their phone.

    - Android Central App. Remember courage is contagious.
    Tom Fairclough
    Credo faber est quisque fortunae suae
    I believe every man is the artisan of his own fortune
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Reverting from Android 4.4 to 4.3...

    Quote Originally Posted by Tall Mike 2145 View Post
    See, it's kind of a complicated situation here, at least in my view.

    The way flashing is done fundamentally requires that developer tools are installed. This, therefore, triggers a certain level of assumption about the knowledgeability of the user which doesn't really apply when you're talking about someone who is only using an advanced tool because there isn't any other way of getting at the problem, even though it isn't a tool they would EVER otherwise touch in their life.

    So stuff like that, or the comparatively brute-force way I had to go about it (which itself isn't a part of anything close to a basic user's level of knowledge) means that a normal person trying to follow the online directions I was running across will either not be able to get the software to flash the phone, or won't be able to get it to do a complete job, and therefore won't be able to re-flash their phone back to 4.3 (at least successfully).

    Posted via Android Central App
    What are you talking about ?

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    The Practical BBQ'r !
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Reverting from Android 4.4 to 4.3...

    Is it possible to revert to 4.3 on the Nexus 5?
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Reverting from Android 4.4 to 4.3...

    Wugfresh.com

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    The Practical BBQ'r !
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mawil1013 View Post
    What are you talking about ?
    There used to be a program back in the day to root and re-ROM the HTC EVO 4G. It was great for those of us who aren't developers. It is a shame that no such software seems to exist for the Nexus series of devices today.

    You can't just double-click the flashing batch file in Mac OS X. Likewise, there's no explanation by Google of modifying your system like Someguy01234 said above to get the fastboot command to work everywhere. In fact, how would the average person even *know* about such things as bash or path statements? I know a bit about bash and am comfortable navigating around via CLI and even I don't (didn't) know how to modify and add things to path.

    And, to be honest, I'm of really mixed feelings here about who's responsibility it should be to support the hackability of an OS which is designed to be hackable by a company which ostensibly believes in and supports the F/OSS movement and the hacker ethic. I think Google should build a program to root and re-ROM devices, but not all hardware works quite the same way so maybe the phone makers should make ports. But then, the community itself will want abilities and features and so maybe they should do a port, or maybe scratch-build the thing.

    Posted via Android Central App
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

    Default Re: Reverting from Android 4.4 to 4.3...

    Mad props to someguy01234 as well, before I forget, for his post above. Everything he posted and/or linked to is solid and good for Mac OS X users.

    Looks like we have a reasonably solid thread here that's current at least as of December 2013 for Windows and Mac OS X users for both restoring their Nexus devices to prior versions of Android, and obviously this is a springboard for those looking to root and re-ROM their phones.

    Posted via Android Central App
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Reverting from Android 4.4 to 4.3...

    If you don't understand the process, you have no business playing around in the guts of your OS.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

    Default Re: Reverting from Android 4.4 to 4.3...

    Quote Originally Posted by gone down south View Post
    If you don't understand the process, you have no business playing around in the guts of your OS.
    Oh, so then it's just too bad for users who simply want to revert to a prior version of Android, like with the 4.4 problem?
  19. #19  

    Default Re: Reverting from Android 4.4 to 4.3...

    I'd love to revert to 4.3, but I clearly don't even begin to have the level of knowledge necessary for the job. Unless there are serious fixes, the changes are making my tablet extremely difficult to use, and may even make it unusable. For instance, I can't really use it for internet browsing any more, unless Boat Browsers releases an update which gets text reflow to work again when you increase the text size, and come to that gets text resizing to work again - I'm visually impaired, I need relatively large print. The tablet (2012 Nexus 7) is juddering and horribly slow, and I had to charge it today less than 4 hours after starting to use it - and we're talking intermittent, light use as well. Two apps so far aren't working at all, including, ironically, Google Hangouts - which appeared to log me in to my boyfriend's account just before the update, too, which has been slightly worrying us. I seem to be forever touching the screen multiple times to get the touch to register.

    It's less than a year since I bought the tablet (from PC World in the UK), so do I have any options in terms of warranties or what have you? It shouldn't become unusable after a mere OS update. I'll check the consumer law with Citizens Advice tomorrow, but so far I've called PC World and the automated system has informed me that I should be talking to Asus.

    I've done some googling and people are talking about Google releasing an update to KitKat fairly soon. However, I have no idea what "soon" might mean. Does anyone have an idea? I bought the tablet on 27/12/12, so if there's any kind of policy lasting a year where I could be covered for a replacement, I don't have all that long. Also does anyone have an idea of which problems are likely to be fixed? Obviously it's not Google's responsibility that my browser is no longer working properly, that's up to the browser developer, but I'm thinking in terms of the keyboard lag, touchscreen problems, and battery drain.

    (When I was vaguely thinking of replacing my tablet the other week, and went to have a look at the Samsung 8" models, I discovered that you can't really use them upside down, as when they are plugged in to charge while sitting on their stand. The sales guy expressed surprise that anyone would need to use a tablet while it was charging. Hah.)

    In more minor grumbling, why did they get rid of the colour in the indicators for battery and wifi? It wasn't just pretty, it was actually functional. I do remember the days of monochrome computing systems, I grew up with green on black screens, but I thought all that was long behind us.
    Last edited by Indigoquilter; 12-04-2013 at 01:45 PM.
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

    Default Re: Reverting from Android 4.4 to 4.3...

    From what I'm seeing in this thread, Indigoquilter, the instructions that Fairclough and mawil1013 have lined to and otherwise discussed, along with others here, are very straight forward and about as simple as you're going to get. I guess nobody has bothered to picked up the idea that had and run with it. That is incredibly unfortunate, but... c'est la vie.
  21. #21  

    Default Re: Reverting from Android 4.4 to 4.3...

    Quote Originally Posted by Tall Mike 2145 View Post
    Oh, so then it's just too bad for users who simply want to revert to a prior version of Android, like with the 4.4 problem?
    It's hardly a "simple" matter...

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app
  22. #22  

    Default Re: Reverting from Android 4.4 to 4.3...

    Quote Originally Posted by Tall Mike 2145 View Post
    From what I'm seeing in this thread, Indigoquilter, the instructions that Fairclough and mawil1013 have lined to and otherwise discussed, along with others here, are very straight forward and about as simple as you're going to get. I guess nobody has bothered to picked up the idea that had and run with it. That is incredibly unfortunate, but... c'est la vie.
    "As simple as you're going to get" doesn't mean that they can be safely and reliably done by people who have no idea how to do any of this, though. I'll trust the many people on this thread who've said that it's not safe for beginners, if you don't mind.

    A friend who does do this sort of thing for a living has offered to install Cyanogenmod if all else fails. Meanwhile, PC World have said that if the item is defective, which means that I have to speak to Asus, then I'm eligible for a replacement. I'm going to ring Asus in the morning and see what they say, though I've a nasty feeling that all advice will begin with doing a factory reset, and from what I've heard that won't fix the problem. The thing is, I don't want to spend hours copying over all my settings and bits of info, and putting them back on, if it turns out that there's an update for KitKat on the way which will fix everything. So to repeat my earlier question: how soon would people guess that an update is likely to appear, and how much is it realistically likely to fix?
  23. #23  

    Default Re: Reverting from Android 4.4 to 4.3...

    Quote Originally Posted by Indigoquilter View Post
    I'd love to revert to 4.3, but I clearly don't even begin to have the level of knowledge necessary for the job. Unless there are serious fixes, the changes are making my tablet extremely difficult to use, and may even make it unusable. For instance, I can't really use it for internet browsing any more, unless Boat Browsers releases an update which gets text reflow to work again when you increase the text size, and come to that gets text resizing to work again - I'm visually impaired, I need relatively large print. The tablet (2012 Nexus 7) is juddering and horribly slow, and I had to charge it today less than 4 hours after starting to use it - and we're talking intermittent, light use as well. Two apps so far aren't working at all, including, ironically, Google Hangouts - which appeared to log me in to my boyfriend's account just before the update, too, which has been slightly worrying us. I seem to be forever touching the screen multiple times to get the touch to register.

    It's less than a year since I bought the tablet (from PC World in the UK), so do I have any options in terms of warranties or what have you? It shouldn't become unusable after a mere OS update. I'll check the consumer law with Citizens Advice tomorrow, but so far I've called PC World and the automated system has informed me that I should be talking to Asus.

    I've done some googling and people are talking about Google releasing an update to KitKat fairly soon. However, I have no idea what "soon" might mean. Does anyone have an idea? I bought the tablet on 27/12/12, so if there's any kind of policy lasting a year where I could be covered for a replacement, I don't have all that long. Also does anyone have an idea of which problems are likely to be fixed? Obviously it's not Google's responsibility that my browser is no longer working properly, that's up to the browser developer, but I'm thinking in terms of the keyboard lag, touchscreen problems, and battery drain.

    (When I was vaguely thinking of replacing my tablet the other week, and went to have a look at the Samsung 8" models, I discovered that you can't really use them upside down, as when they are plugged in to charge while sitting on their stand. The sales guy expressed surprise that anyone would need to use a tablet while it was charging. Hah.)

    In more minor grumbling, why did they get rid of the colour in the indicators for battery and wifi? It wasn't just pretty, it was actually functional. I do remember the days of monochrome computing systems, I grew up with green on black screens, but I thought all that was long behind us.
    I'm assuming that the tablet was working ok before the 4.4 update? If it was, then it's a software problem down to the update. Sadly this doesn't give you any recourse to the retailer (the terrible Curry's).
    Legally, your goods are guaranteed for 1 year from date of purchase. The goods must be:- as described, of merchantable quality & fit for the purpose intended. After 28 days though, you are only entitled to a repair or replacement, not a refund. (Sale of goods act 1979).
    Additionally, your goods are covered for up to six years under EU Regulations - but you would have to prove there was an inherent fault in manufacture for any claim to succeed.
    If your problem is with the software update, then the retailer has no obligation toward you. It was your choice to accept, download, and install the update.
    The best thing you can do is to contact Google Customer Service and outline your problems - they may be able to help. Also, keep an eye on these forums for solutions to problems, and news of further updates that will fix problems.

    A note on the Samsung 8 tablet, I'm a little puzzled by this. My partner has one and there certainly isn't a 'stand' of any kind with it. It's charging port is micro USB, same as most devices these days, and it's perfectly possible to charge it in any position you like!

    I hope some of this is helpful, although probably not conclusive for you.
    Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

    Default Re: Reverting from Android 4.4 to 4.3...

    The biggest problem is that there really isn't anything physically wrong with your tablet, or it would have exhibited this behavior from the beginning. It's a software issue (of some kind) and simply exchanging your existing tablet for a new one will not solve anything, because either it's going to have the update on it when you buy it, or very shortly afterward. In any event, the same update will cause the same problem.

    And yes, of course you could make the argument that the next unit, if it doesn't already *have* the update, will only ever download it but you won't tell it to go ahead and install it. But how long are you going to let that pending update operation sit there? Until the Cybermen come up out of the London sewers and try to take over... oh, crap, they've already done that. Well, until the Daleks come and decide to wipe out... whoops, they've already done that, too. Well, what about the Siluri... oh, never mind.

    The point is that until Google fixes this, we're all of us well and truly screwed, basically.

    Posted via Android Central App
  25. #25  

    Default Re: Reverting from Android 4.4 to 4.3...

    You haveto be willing to educate yourself, for the life of me I couldn't figure out how to even unlock let alone root my nexus 7. No one tutorials can walk you thru the Proteus unless your running exactly and precisely the same pc as all as mobile device and pc and same operating systems. I found Wugfresh app. I struggled because I didn't slow down and read everything up front once I had the correct device and is, that's all, select those and the app does everything for you. I still have no ideas about the guys of a android but with wugfresh my nexus 7 is unlocked, rooted and reverted back to jelly bean!

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    The Practical BBQ'r !
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 01-26-2014, 09:49 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-03-2013, 09:15 PM
  3. Anyone get a warranty repair directly from HTC?
    By DeusEx in forum Sprint HTC One
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-02-2013, 09:38 PM
  4. Photo prints from Galaxy S4
    By geoffdavo in forum Samsung Galaxy S4
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-02-2013, 08:21 PM
  5. Way to get the Sprint GT3 free?
    By JnEricsonx in forum Samsung Galaxy Tab 3
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-02-2013, 07:40 PM

Posting Permissions

B