Can't add gmail, "Can't establish server connection." Please Help

WhiteRa

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
I am on the Nexus 5

I have already looked up about this problem online, but the fixes for this seems to be either a hard reset, a factory reset, or the YouTube trick, where one signs into their gmail through YouTube and fixes this issue.

I have attempted all three of these things, but I still can't add my gmail account. The "Can't connect to server" message still pops, even when trying to sign in through the YouTube app.

Please help!

WhiteRa

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
Is no one able to help me or at least give me some info on what is occurring? This is my first Android phone (switched from iPhone 5s) and so far, I'm quite disappointed in Android. I have this issue for about a week now.

Sicily1918

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
Try this:

1. In home screen, open your running apps (double-square thingy in bottom-right menu) and clear them all (slide left/right).
  2. Go to Settings -> Accounts
    • Select "Google", select your account@gmail, hit the menu (three buttons, top-right), and select "Remove Account"
  3. Go to Settings -> Apps
    • Slide right to "ALL" and find the YouTube and Gmail apps.
      • In each app, do this in the following order:
        1. Clear cache.
        2. Clear data.
        3. Force Stop.
        4. Uninstall updates (if present).
  4. Go to Settings -> Storage
    • Click "Cached data" and hit 'OK' when it warns you about clearing the data (don't worry, this won't dump your stuff, just cached app data).
  5. Go to Home and open Google Play -- it *should* ask you for your gmail/Google account -- enter your email/password info and maybe update the YouTube app while there.
And you should be done... when you open Gmail your stuff should be good to go.

BTW, I'm assuming that you're using the Gmail app for gmail, not the built-in Android Mail app?

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I started using stock email app after realizing it work just as good as the gmail app, I think that's a good alternative. It's independent of the Android's Google account login.

sent via tapatalk

Benjamin Dawkins

Sep 13, 2015
Visit site
Is no one able to help me or at least give me some info on what is occurring? This is my first Android phone (switched from iPhone 5s) and so far, I'm quite disappointed in Android. I have this issue for about a week now.

I do have this too and im stuck with it like a month still broken : /

Khekugha Yepthomi

Sep 4, 2016
Visit site
I'm using Samsung Tab 4 and I'm not able to add my Google account on my tab. Whenever I try to add my account it says "can't establish a reliable connection" so I have even tried to add through wiffi but it's still the same answer.. can anyone help me solve this issue

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Since this is a fairly old thread, please give us more of your own specific details (like which device, which Android version, does this happen on both mobile data and wi-fi).

Logic_Argue

Nov 17, 2016
Visit site
Make sure google backup can use both wifi and data, I could not get gmail to sign in over wifi no matter what I did, until I allowed google backup access over both, otherwise gmail only worked on wifi.

data traffic management > networked apps> system apps, google backup (contains multiple apps) which includes Account manager

S0LD13R

Oct 9, 2017
Visit site
Whitera I too tried all the ways you did but none of them worked this is usually because the host file gets corrupted and when I tried to format the host file it never worked so one day I tried formatting the host file using [redacted by Mod] in which you can reset host file.I did that and my lenovo A3000 has been fixed

Last edited by a moderator:

Bob A3

Dec 14, 2017
Visit site
I am on the Nexus 5

I have already looked up about this problem online, but the fixes for this seems to be either a hard reset, a factory reset, or the YouTube trick, where one signs into their gmail through YouTube and fixes this issue.

I have attempted all three of these things, but I still can't add my gmail account. The "Can't connect to server" message still pops, even when trying to sign in through the YouTube app.

Please help!

Raed all of this thread, no help. Then, I noticed it wanted me to check some apps and clear cache etc. No dice, didn't work. However, I noticed that GOOGLE SERVICES FRAMEWORK was not installed!!! I simply ran the .BAT install file and the 4th app that it installs...Goggle Services Framework, was added. For whatever reason, only 3 of the 4 necessary apps were installed. I was able to log in and get to play store after that.
I rebooted, checked the apps and there were all FOUR apps that should have been installed in the first place, not just 3 (google acct mgr, google play services, and google play store).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke