Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    63 Global Posts

Unhappy Can't add gmail, "Can't establish server connection." Please Help

I am on the Nexus 5

I have already looked up about this problem online, but the fixes for this seems to be either a hard reset, a factory reset, or the YouTube trick, where one signs into their gmail through YouTube and fixes this issue.

I have attempted all three of these things, but I still can't add my gmail account. The "Can't connect to server" message still pops, even when trying to sign in through the YouTube app.

Please help!

Default Re: Can't add gmail, "Can't establish server connection." Please Help

How do you connect to the internet: mobile data or wi-fi?
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    63 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by korab84 View Post
    How do you connect to the internet: mobile data or wi-fi?
    Wifi
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    63 Global Posts

Bump, issue still unresolved
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    63 Global Posts

Is no one able to help me or at least give me some info on what is occurring? This is my first Android phone (switched from iPhone 5s) and so far, I'm quite disappointed in Android. I have this issue for about a week now.

Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Android 4.4.4

Try this:

1. In home screen, open your running apps (double-square thingy in bottom-right menu) and clear them all (slide left/right).
    2. Go to Settings -> Accounts
      • Select "Google", select your account@gmail, hit the menu (three buttons, top-right), and select "Remove Account"

3. Go to Settings -> Apps
      • Slide right to "ALL" and find the YouTube and Gmail apps.
        • In each app, do this in the following order:
          1. Clear cache.
          2. Clear data.
          3. Force Stop.
          4. Uninstall updates (if present).

4. Go to Settings -> Storage
      • Click "Cached data" and hit 'OK' when it warns you about clearing the data (don't worry, this won't dump your stuff, just cached app data).

5. Go to Home and open Google Play -- it *should* ask you for your gmail/Google account -- enter your email/password info and maybe update the YouTube app while there.

And you should be done... when you open Gmail your stuff should be good to go.

BTW, I'm assuming that you're using the Gmail app for gmail, not the built-in Android Mail app?
    Nexus4 - Stock 4.4.4
    Nexus7 - Stock 4.4.4

I started using stock email app after realizing it work just as good as the gmail app, I think that's a good alternative. It's independent of the Android's Google account login.

sent via tapatalk