question regarding KitKat and will it break.

DrJekyll

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
I have a droid 3 that is rather paper weighty these days, I was wondering if a flash of KitKat would grant it usablity with at least wifi/camera function. Real question, do these Android releases contain generic drivers for these parts or do specific drivers need to be installed?

I also have other non-activated android phones I would like to attempt this on so the kids have more or less, tiny android tablets.

Thanks,
Jekyll

p.s.

I'm new, how about Zoidburg?

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
It depends on the rom and if Motorola released drivers binary for that device or not. Show us which specific rom are you flashing? Who ever the rom developer supposed to give you the info and you can read the users feedback.

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
I have a droid 3 that is rather paper weighty these days, I was wondering if a flash of KitKat would grant it usablity with at least wifi/camera function. Real question, do these Android releases contain generic drivers for these parts or do specific drivers need to be installed?

I also have other non-activated android phones I would like to attempt this on so the kids have more or less, tiny android tablets.

Thanks,
Jekyll

p.s.

I do not believe there is currently a Kit Kat ROM available for the Droid 3, but you can follow events on it here: Motorola Droid 3 - solana - CyanogenMod Forum

gameson

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I have samsung captivate the first galaxy s running on stock samsung android os.

I understand that kitkat can run without lag on 512 MB RAM, just curious that if i get cyanogen mod to the captivate, if it is going to help with the lag.

Thanks

ajpri

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
Well it's KitKat? they do break. Gimme a break! Sorry, had to say that.

Cyanogen Mod is still early. Not everything may work. To be safe I'd say no. How usable is its stock os?

Posted via Android Central App on my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 (Android 4.2.2)

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I have samsung captivate the first galaxy s running on stock samsung android os.

I understand that kitkat can run without lag on 512 MB RAM, just curious that if i get cyanogen mod to the captivate, if it is going to help with the lag.

Thanks
I think the easiest method is to use ODIN to flash a "modified stock rom" or "custom kernel" that come preloaded with a custom recovery. ODIN is the program used to flash Samsung images. Then download the CM11 rom to your phone and flash it using the custom recovery.

Semaphore kernel come in Odin format (*.tar), so you can flash his Jelly Bean kernel using ODIN. Since its a JB kernel, it won't support KitKat roms (CM11), but you use it to boot into CWM recovery that it come preloaded with. Then use CWM to flash CM11 which will install both the rom and it's own kernel, overwriting Semaphore kernel.

If all this is too much for you than you need to read up and do your own research. I don't have the device anymore so I can't help you more than this. Here are a few links to get you going, good luck:
[Driver][24.10.2013]SAMSUNG ♣USB Drivers♣ for Mobile Phones -LATEST VERSION- - xda-developers
[Tools] Odin Version 3.04 - 3.07 and GS3 Drivers for Windows - xda-developers
[KERNEL] Semaphore JB 3.3.0c - xda-developers
[Stock ROMs](OneClicks Master Collection)+[Kernels (Stock & w/ CWM)]+[Modems] UPDATED - xda-developers

robert lewis5

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site

Thanks,
Jekyll

p.s.

There is a Kitkat ROM for the D3 but unfortunately the wifi and storage doesn't work. It was made by liquid smooth I n beta stage but they ended development for it