How do I stop annoying notifications that it can't sign into Yahoo mail?

train_depot

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
Whenever I leave a wifi zone and the phone switches to mobile data I get annoying notification messages/bong from the stock email app that it "can't sign in to Yahoo mail". If I follow the notification it says the username/password is wrong which is obviously crap because it has no trouble getting mail over wifi. Grrr.:mad:

Last edited by a moderator:

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Re: How do I stop annoying notifications that it can't sign into yahoo mail?

Every version of that app since Gingerbread has given me some type of problem. Try the Yahoo mail app. I was using that for a while but am now testing the MyMail app so I can integrate all my non gmail addresses in one app.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Whenever I leave a wifi zone and the phone switches to mobile data I get annoying notification messages/bong from the stock email app that it "can't sign in to Yahoo mail". If I follow the notification it says the username/password is wrong which is obviously crap because it has no trouble getting mail over wifi. Grrr.:mad:

Welcome to the forums. You can disable notifications in each app. Here is how: http://forums.androidcentral.com/ambassador-guides-tips-how-tos/325138-guide-how-disable-apps.html
You should see a check box that says show notifications. Uncheck it.

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site

I see this problem when I'm tethering a Nexus device (N7 '12) to my N4's wi-fi hotspot over T-mobile. Perhaps your configuration is similar.

From this condition, I surmise that there's some proxy somewhere on the way to android.imap.mail.yahoo.com that's interfering with it when tethering is done. ​:confused:

Mc4golf60

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site

Every version of that app since Gingerbread has given me some type of problem. Try the Yahoo mail app. I was using that for a while but am now testing the MyMail app so I can integrate all my non gmail addresses in one app.

What? Is there a thread describing this known issue with the stock email app? I am seeing the Can't Sign-in problem on LTE, and occasionally on Wifi.

effreyj

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site

Incoming Mail (IMAP) Server - Requires SSL

Server: imap.mail.yahoo.com
Port: 993
Requires SSL: Yes
Outgoing Mail (SMTP) Server - Requires TLS

Server: smtp.mail.yahoo.com
Port: 465 or 587
Requires SSL: Yes
Requires authentication: Yes
Login info - Requires authentication

Email address: Your full email address (name@domain.com.)
Password: Your account's password

Jdalton1111

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site

I've had a lot of the same problems with yahoo and I'm about done with them! I've had to change my password a few times and this last time they would not accept 5 of my passwords I use. I barely remember those 5, I'm not about to find another. With that said, I have been looking for new email accounts and haven't found any I like. Does anybody have any they would suggest? I started at Inbox account, but found out they don't have an app!?!

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site

I've had a lot of the same problems with yahoo and I'm about done with them! I've had to change my password a few times and this last time they would not accept 5 of my passwords I use. I barely remember those 5, I'm not about to find another. With that said, I have been looking for new email accounts and haven't found any I like. Does anybody have any they would suggest? I started at Inbox account, but found out they don't have an app!?!

Try outlook.com

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site

Yeeha, apparently android.imap.mail.yahoo.com and android.smtp.mail.yahoo.com don't play well with others. Heck with them.

Let me fix this for you:

Settings...
Yahoo account...
Server Settings
Incoming Settings
username: [username]@yahoo.com
password: ******
Server: imap.mail.yahoo.com
Port: 993
SSLTLS (ACCEPT ALL CERTIFICATES)

Outgoing Settings
Server: smtp.mail.yahoo.com
Port: 465
SSLTLS (ACCEPT ALL CERTIFICATES)
Require signin [selected]
username: [username]@yahoo.com
password: *****

Just checked mail on Wi-Fi and 4G, no errors. Trying it overnight....

BammerNJ

Jan 7, 2017
Visit site

In my case this issue has nothing at all to do with moving in and out of WiFi. I have 6 different emails set up on my Droid Max and I had the same issue with my Droid X. Periodically for no reason my email accounts will start giving me messages that it can't log in. It may happen to one or two of them or all six of them will suddenly not want to log in. Sometimes, if I ignore it, it resolves it's self but I can't go 24 hours without being able to get to my emails via my phone. It's a real PIA.
My experience is, this has nothing at all to do with the settings on your phone. How could it be, I've set up my accounts and used them for months and months with no problem and then boom all of the sudden something changes?
Here is what I found that has worked for me.
Log onto your Yahoo account. There are several ways to do this. I usually just log onto the Yahoo email for whichever account is giving me issues.
Then go to the "gear" icon in the upper right hand corner and select "account info", it's currently the last selection on that list. It will make you log into your account.
Now go to the "Account Security" menu option on the left.
On the bottom of this screen is an option for "Allow Apps that Use Less Security Sign In" mine is always set to "On",
Turn this "OFF"
(Don't ask me why I do the following but I do and it's worked, menu options are on the upper left of the screen)
click on the "Preferences" menu option, let that screen load
click on the "Recent Activity" menu option, let that screen load

click back on the "Account Security" menu option and turn that same option "Allow Apps that Use Less Security Sign In" back to "On"
Now close the "Account" screen and go back to your email screen. You should see two emails from Yahoo stating your Account Options have changed.
Once I see these two emails, I go back to my phone and it is usually working again and I can see the two emails from Yahoo that I was just talking about.

I can't explain why this works, I just know it always seems to fix the issue for me. I think something in Yahoo's security utilities get's confused and until you turn it off and restart it, you're jammed up.

Hope this helps some of those having this issue

Last edited:

sboshko

Apr 1, 2017
Visit site

In my case this issue has nothing at all to do with moving in and out of WiFi. I have 6 different emails set up on my Droid Max and I had the same issue with my Droid X. Periodically for no reason my email accounts will start giving me messages that it can't log in. It may happen to one or two of them or all six of them will suddenly not want to log in. Sometimes, if I ignore it, it resolves it's self but I can't go 24 hours without being able to get to my emails via my phone. It's a real PIA.
My experience is, this has nothing at all to do with the settings on your phone. How could it be, I've set up my accounts and used them for months and months with no problem and then boom all of the sudden something changes?
Here is what I found that has worked for me.
Log onto your Yahoo account. There are several ways to do this. I usually just log onto the Yahoo email for whichever account is giving me issues.
Then go to the "gear" icon in the upper right hand corner and select "account info", it's currently the last selection on that list. It will make you log into your account.
Now go to the "Account Security" menu option on the left.
On the bottom of this screen is an option for "Allow Apps that Use Less Security Sign In" mine is always set to "On",
Turn this "OFF"
(Don't ask me why I do the following but I do and it's worked, menu options are on the upper left of the screen)
click on the "Preferences" menu option, let that screen load
click on the "Recent Activity" menu option, let that screen load

click back on the "Account Security" menu option and turn that same option "Allow Apps that Use Less Security Sign In" back to "On"
Now close the "Account" screen and go back to your email screen. You should see two emails from Yahoo stating your Account Options have changed.
Once I see these two emails, I go back to my phone and it is usually working again and I can see the two emails from Yahoo that I was just talking about.

I can't explain why this works, I just know it always seems to fix the issue for me. I think something in Yahoo's security utilities get's confused and until you turn it off and restart it, you're jammed up.

Hope this helps some of those having this issue

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith