Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Golfdriver97
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default How do I stop annoying notifications that it can't sign into Yahoo mail?

Whenever I leave a wifi zone and the phone switches to mobile data I get annoying notification messages/bong from the stock email app that it "can't sign in to Yahoo mail". If I follow the notification it says the username/password is wrong which is obviously crap because it has no trouble getting mail over wifi. Grrr.
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 01-14-2014 at 10:45 AM.

Default Re: How do I stop annoying notifications that it can't sign into yahoo mail?

Every version of that app since Gingerbread has given me some type of problem. Try the Yahoo mail app. I was using that for a while but am now testing the MyMail app so I can integrate all my non gmail addresses in one app.
    Pat
    Nook Color - CM10.1 ( Jelly Bean 4.2.2) on eMMC
    Google Galaxy Nexus - stock Jelly Bean 4.3
    Galaxy Nexus 10 - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Galaxy Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Chromecast
    Nexus 5 - stock KitKat 4.4.2

Global Posts
    13,877 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Default Re: How do I stop annoying notifications that it can't sign into yahoo mail?

Quote Originally Posted by train_depot View Post
    Whenever I leave a wifi zone and the phone switches to mobile data I get annoying notification messages/bong from the stock email app that it "can't sign in to Yahoo mail". If I follow the notification it says the username/password is wrong which is obviously crap because it has no trouble getting mail over wifi. Grrr.
    Welcome to the forums. You can disable notifications in each app. Here is how: [GUIDE] How to Disable Apps
    You should see a check box that says show notifications. Uncheck it.

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu
    Community Guidelines and also here
    Thanked by:
    ChromeJob likes this.

I see this problem when I'm tethering a Nexus device (N7 '12) to my N4's wi-fi hotspot over T-mobile. Perhaps your configuration is similar.

From this condition, I surmise that there's some proxy somewhere on the way to android.imap.mail.yahoo.com that's interfering with it when tethering is done. ​
    Sent by accident, not using the Android Central app
    Nexus 4 (Mako), Amaze 4G on T-Mobile. Nexus 7 16GB. Google Chromebook (2012 Samsung 16gb). Next stop, a Google flush toilet.
    Did I solve your problem? Hit the Thanks button. Was I just a nuisance? Sorry, can't bat .400 every day.

just remove your account in the email app
    Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 Nexus all the way..
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    Welcome to the forums. You can disable notifications in each app. Here is how: [GUIDE] How to Disable Apps
    You should see a check box that says show notifications. Uncheck it.
    I found it. Hope it works. Thanks for the tip.

Global Posts
    13,877 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

I found it. Hope it works. Thanks for the tip.
    Hope it is working. See you around the forums.

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu
    Community Guidelines and also here

Quote Originally Posted by NexusNick123 View Post
    just remove your account in the email app
    How would that help? What does he use to get his Yahoo mail then?
    Pat
    Chromecast

Quote Originally Posted by patruns View Post
    Every version of that app since Gingerbread has given me some type of problem. Try the Yahoo mail app. I was using that for a while but am now testing the MyMail app so I can integrate all my non gmail addresses in one app.
    What? Is there a thread describing this known issue with the stock email app? I am seeing the Can't Sign-in problem on LTE, and occasionally on Wifi.

Incoming Mail (IMAP) Server - Requires SSL

Server: imap.mail.yahoo.com
    Port: 993
    Requires SSL: Yes
    Outgoing Mail (SMTP) Server - Requires TLS

Server: smtp.mail.yahoo.com
    Port: 465 or 587
    Requires SSL: Yes
    Requires authentication: Yes
    Login info - Requires authentication

Email address: Your full email address (name@domain.com.)
    Password: Your account's password
    Thanked by:

I've had a lot of the same problems with yahoo and I'm about done with them! I've had to change my password a few times and this last time they would not accept 5 of my passwords I use. I barely remember those 5, I'm not about to find another. With that said, I have been looking for new email accounts and haven't found any I like. Does anybody have any they would suggest? I started at Inbox account, but found out they don't have an app!?!

Quote Originally Posted by Jdalton1111 View Post
    I've had a lot of the same problems with yahoo and I'm about done with them! I've had to change my password a few times and this last time they would not accept 5 of my passwords I use. I barely remember those 5, I'm not about to find another. With that said, I have been looking for new email accounts and haven't found any I like. Does anybody have any they would suggest? I started at Inbox account, but found out they don't have an app!?!
    Try outlook.com
    Pat
    Chromecast

Yeeha, apparently android.imap.mail.yahoo.com and android.smtp.mail.yahoo.com don't play well with others. Heck with them.

Let me fix this for you:

Quote Originally Posted by effreyj View Post
    Settings...
    Yahoo account...
    Server Settings
    Incoming Settings
    username: [username]@yahoo.com
    password: ******
    Server: imap.mail.yahoo.com
    Port: 993
    SSLTLS (ACCEPT ALL CERTIFICATES)

Outgoing Settings
    Server: smtp.mail.yahoo.com
    Port: 465
    SSLTLS (ACCEPT ALL CERTIFICATES)
    Require signin [selected]
    username: [username]@yahoo.com
    password: *****
    Just checked mail on Wi-Fi and 4G, no errors. Trying it overnight....
    Sent by accident, not using the Android Central app
    Nexus 4 (Mako), Amaze 4G on T-Mobile. Nexus 7 16GB. Google Chromebook (2012 Samsung 16gb). Next stop, a Google flush toilet.
    Did I solve your problem? Hit the Thanks button. Was I just a nuisance? Sorry, can't bat .400 every day.