Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Android OS battery drain with 4.4.2

Hey folks, I have a 2013 n7 and a n5. Both having issues with android os causing higher than normal battery drain, around 45% or so. Both are running 4.4.2 with gel. Any ideas?

Posted via Android Central App
    Converted007 likes this.

Default Re: Android OS battery drain with 4.4.2

No fix unfortunately but the same issue here with the Nexus 5. My phone burned through 85% of batter overnight with Wi-fi, 4G, location services and blue tooth all turned off. It was previously going through 1-2% overnight. Updated to 4.4.2 yesterday morning.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

It sucks, other than that im enjoying KitKat.

Thanked by:

Same here. Really significant increase in battery drain since 4.4.2.
    I am confident they will fix soon.

but yeah, other than that, i'm cool with the update.

Global Posts
    5,537 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

It might not even be 4.4.2
    I'm on 4.3 and my phone is down to 66% after only 5 hours. About 30 minutes of screen time

Everything in this post is 100% accurate...I think

R.I.P. Motorola...and what could have been the best smartphone line ever
    Thanked by:
    sprintnerd likes this.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Hope they fix it, was getting g great battery life before the update!

Using nexus 7 2012 ,,.had great battery b4 4.4.2 ...now its draining much faster

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

My Nexus 7 (2012) seems to be depleting at the same rate it did before the update. Could it be an app not playing nicely with the update ?

My battery is draining much faster with 4.4.2 on the Nexus 5. I tweaked it on 4.4 and I was happy with the performance but 4.4.2 has made it worse. I hardly used my phone yesterday because I had a busy day and around 7pm (after 12 hours since charging), my battery level dropped to about 20%. Very disappointed after the update.

Are you sure it's Android OS and not Google play services? It's usually the latter which causes battery drain problems for many people (me included) recently.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilia1986 View Post
    Are you sure it's Android OS and not Google play services? It's usually the latter which causes battery drain problems for many people (me included) recently.
    Have you turned off any services? If so, which ones? I am very new to Android and have owned iPhones for the last 6 years and I am trying to figure all of these out. Thanks.

Hi guys, the best thing i can offer is check what is draining your battery with , it is free by the way The app will always be running in the background, and from time to time check what is draining your battery, it gives lots of details of what can be waking up your phone from sleep etc. It should look like this:

What was waking my phone up was Google+, i removed it and i have no more battery drains. Post your results here, i can probably try and help.
    Thanked by:

Looks like you have to root your device to install GSam Battery Monitor

I have see a major gain in Battery Life that increase on my Nexus 5 phone at least when I turned on ART under 4.4.2. That has added a few hours of extra life. I haven't noticed any differences with my Nexus 7 (2012) with 4.4.2.

I've just disabled Google+ (heck, I don't even have a G+ account) and the Google app (I guess it's the Google search app).

I'm thinking about disabling Google Play Music as well. Anyone here have a preferred media player?

Angry Re: Android OS battery drain with 4.4.2

My Moto X is burning out the battery like crazy after 4.4 update. I need to charge it twice a day! OMG!

Global Posts
    23 Global Posts

also burning through battery on kit kat with Moto X on Verizon,
    hoping for a fix and haven't found anything online

Quote Originally Posted by Chiesi View Post
    My Moto X is burning out the battery like crazy after 4.4 update. I need to charge it twice a day! OMG!

I have Moto X on AT&T and I'm not having that issue. My battery life is a tad less than the 4.4 update, but nothing I can't live with. I never have to charge mine more than once a day and often go two days if I only use it for the basics, like e-mail and texting and as a phone. The only problem I'm having is the e-mail issue, where deleting e-mail on the phone deletes it off the server, no matter what setting I choose.

I was getting 5-7 hours of on screen time with around 30 hours of use on my moto g with 4.3.1. Updated to 4.4.2 yesterday and I could barely get 4 hours on screen, plus it drained significantly faster during standby mode.

I've had 4.4.2 on my UK Moto G for nearly a week. Had similar problems for the first couple of days with standby battery usage being very high but it has settled down now and I'm back to a 1.5 to 2 days between charges and around 6 sometimes 7 hours screen on time. I did factory reset after the update, and a reboot after the first day of silly battery drain, plus a single complete drain recharge cycle seems to have cured the issue. Location services are what is causing highest wake-ups for me - still not happy with how long the phone is kept awake, but can't really complain about the battery life

ROM
    KOT49H.I9505XXUFNA1

I use a Samsung Galaxy S4 and i have the same problems. After 2 hours my battery is at 70%. With GSam i see that the drain is in Kernel (Android OS) 40,2%. But i can't see the exact process because within this kernel there are +100 processes
    I think i go downgrade to the version before because i must charge twice a day

ROM
    KOT49H.I9505XXUFNA1

I went into the Android Recovery Mode by Press and hold Home + Volume up button + Power button to enter the device. After that i swipe and factory reset/restore the 4.2.2 firmware.
    You just lost everything and need to config the Phone all over. So beware and Backup all your things via Google, SD etc.
    It looks like my device is working normal. I now going to load the battery to 100% and tomorrow i test the capacity.
    But i played now 3hr with my phone and the battery power is still good. So it's hopeful

Regards

Global Posts
    14 Global Posts

Android OS is routinely 40% or more of my battery on my Nexus 7. What's strange is that I've tried several custom ROMs and it's the same thing on all of them.

Found another culprit for battery drain / high device awake ratio. If you have location settings set to 'Battery saver', but spend a lot of the day with wifi off, make sure that 'Scanning always available' on the Advanced Wifi Settings is unchecked. For me this results in reduced Android OS battery drain and a big reduction in time held awake as reported by GSam. I'm not rooted so can't get more precise wakelock info under KitKat, but my hunch is this is reducing the NLP (Network Location Provider) wakelocks. I've also got Location Reporting and Location History unchecked. Apps needing location data seem to be working just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    It might not even be 4.4.2
    I'm on 4.3 and my phone is down to 66% after only 5 hours. About 30 minutes of screen time

my phone is on 4.2.2 and last night i noticed it heating up and burning through 1 percent battery per minute. This is with battery saving turned on, and WiFi and mobile data turned off. The Power Usage gizmo revealed that Android System had accounted for 85% of the 35% of battery power my phone had burned through and had done so in 55secs! I have a new phone that I'm aware has a suspect battery life (HTC one xl LTE version) but that kind of battery drainage had me about to dig out the receipt to return the phone. Then I noticed Auto Syncing was enabled. Since turning that off,my phone's battery life has returned to it's normal inadequate battery life. Android System is still accounting for over 50% usage though.

Personally I'm hoping KitKat well get rolled out to my phone, but I'm doubtful it will anytime soon since 4.2.2 is a recent upgrade.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast