How would you rate Kitkat out of 10?

NewtonGravity

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
Hey AC community,

I just wanted to know how you would rate kitkat so far? Is it the best Android OS version yet? What features do you think should they add in the next update?

Very curious to see the community insight.

Thanks!
Newton

darth android

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
I would give it a 9.5/10. I praise the memory enhacements, speed upgrades, battery upgrades, file picker api, cloud print, tap to pay, improvements in google now, emojji, android keyboard, and color palette change. Also, immersive mode, a sleeker and prettier ui, new launcher, and suprise(although supensefull) launch.

Cons: removed a few cool hidden options, bugs that cause app crashes and freezes, and the problems that still remain with some users.
Conclusion: The android kitkat update gave us all we were looking at in leaks, plus so much more and a more professional ui. With such a major update, bugs are expected, but the updates from google have fixed most issues.

That is all. The sith lord android speaks..

Remember, the ban hammer is magically attracted to rudeness!

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I would give KitKat 4.4 a 9 out of 10. For KitKat 4.4.2, I have to give it a 5 out of 10.

Before KitKat, I only use custom roms because they were faster. I started using stock Android full time when KitKat was leaked out for the Nexus 4 during mid-October. With the improvement in performance and ART it really transformed Android for me, Android felt exceptionally smooth for me now and I say this again, but iOS is no longer 'smoother' than Android. I like the new design and simplification of the interface as well (though there are still improvements needed). The difference comparing to custom roms is that it's fast now, but with stability and less bugs and better battery life. It just allows me to appreciate stock Android a lot more and felt less of a need for those extra custom roms features.

Minus one point for 4.4 because I heard lots of people having issues with the OTA update, Google have done a great job at gettings the updates out fast I think, but it doesn't go smoothly. I don't own any Apple products, but I usually run the Apple OTA update on my family member's Apple devices since they never bother to do it,. Unlike me who have more than one phone, it's bad if their only work phone stopped working. Yet I never had a worry that Apple update wouldn't work without a hitch (going from iOS6 to iOS7 even). I don't have issues with Android OTA myself since I know how to flash firmwares, however I heard too many bad stories from people who never root nor modify their phones, yet ran into problems, and countless of post-update issues.

I also didn't like Google decison (or for whatever reasons) that made the tethering stopped working for T-Mobile starting with KitKat.

I'm not happy at all with 4.4.2 updates. Like many others I don't like the idea of Apps Op being removed, I think it's a huge loss in term of control. Also there are lots of incompatibility issues with 4.4.1 and 4.4.2 releases, some apps I personally use had issues, and I'm sure others can name a few. I can't fully blame Google on this since I'm not a programmer to understand how the code changes in KitKat affect things and maybe it's for the better in the long run.

Things Google still have not fix for the Nexus 4 as of 4.4.2:
-stock camera app still terrible, I actually get faster shutter speed and better image sharpness with alternative camera apps
-the issue with wired headset having extremely low mic's gain, people have been complaining about it for a year now, Google just finally is acknowledging it
-I can't be totally happy until Google does something to vastly improve the wakelock issue with Android that many users sufffer from, though it has been getting better

Last edited:

Bazza1

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
5 of 10. It does what an OS is supposed to do, with a minimum of fuss. That should be a given. But its hampered (at least in upgrading from older versions) by multiple apps that do the same thing (Currents/Newstand, Gallery/Photos) with no significant improvements and embedded 'features' and background capabilities that really should be up to the user to choose to install.

Chrome9000

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
1 out of 10. Ever since I updated, it took 2 days for me to fully charge my phone even when I killed all tasks and turned on flight mode. 4.4.2 really brought down the battery life by a huge milestone. I felt that Jelly bean was better because of that

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
0 out of 10

Had to learn how to revert back to jelly bean because kitkat was so bad on my tablet. Battery drain and bad overall slowdown of my tablet were the main problem, along with keyboard issues, apps not showing in the recent apps tab, and lastly the removal of holo blue. Will never put kitkat back on my tablet.

Posted via Android Central App

frankenhooker

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
8 out of 10 sounds about right. There are no show-stopping bugs or annoyances, well none that didn't exist before. It's smoother and marginally faster on my device (Nexus 7 2012), overall I'm happy.

That said I don't use gel or Google now and my device can't run ART, so maybe those elements are troubling, I don't know.

Battery life seems about the same.

Krolt

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
I gave it a ten, compared to other versions I have used (froyo, ics, jelly bean) best battery life, and least bugs so far, I don't install many apps though.
On my Nexus 4

Tall Mike 2145

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Because the battery drain issue was such a huge issue and is still an issue even under 4.4.2, I'd have to give it a five out of ten.

What's the use of an OS if it turns your device into a brick?

sharkita

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
I'd give it an 8. I don't have any major battery issues, problems with apps, etc., with Kit Kat, but I do have that e-mail "bug" where e-mail deleted off my phone deletes off the server, no matter what setting I choose. I've just learned to be extra careful deleting e-mail, which maybe isn't a bad thing. I haven't noticed any huge improvements for my Moto X, which was pretty terrific before the update, but it hasn't really broken anything either. For me that's a good thing, since I once had an Atrix that really went bonkers when it got the Gingerbread update. It was a good day when I didn't want to throw that thing out the window.

Burgo

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
10 on my Old Nexus 7 and on mine & the Memahib's Nexus 4s. Seems to have sorted at last the wake lock / battery issues with exchange &/or Google search burning through the battery all night. Now at at last able to actually use the devices as full on smart phones. Chuffed!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I think some more time needs to be given to this version. 4.0 wasn't received very well, and with the introduction of 4. fixed my of the issues. I am equating 4.4 to be roughly the same as 4.0.
Overall, I would give it a 7.5

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

NewtonGravity

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
I think some more time needs to be given to this version. 4.0 wasn't received very well, and with the introduction of 4. fixed my of the issues. I am equating 4.4 to be roughly the same as 4.0.
Overall, I would give it a 7.5

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Coool. Ya I agree that it needs more fixes. It wasn't released well. :(