OK google, AGAIN

Amir Kolsky

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
I know people must be sick and tired of these issues, so I apologize.

The problem is that my nexus home screen has the google widget. I can OK Google until i'm blue in the face, but nothing happens.
When, however, I click on the widget, i'm brought to the search app, where I am prompted with "say OK Google or.....". Now, I can say OK Google, and it works.
This, obviously, is COMPLETELY useless, since i'm already in the search app, and I could have hit the microphone button to get the the voice search.

So, Whassup with that?

Thanks, A.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
As far as I know, that IS how it's supposed to work... The "Hot Word" (Or OK Google) only works while in the app. Phones like the MotoX have extra software that lets you use the hot word at any time with Google (or Samsung's phones with S-Voice, for instance).

I don't own a Nexus, so I might be wrong, but at least that's how the Google app works on any other phone.

AndroidDario

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
I know people must be sick and tired of these issues, so I apologize.

The problem is that my nexus home screen has the google widget. I can OK Google until i'm blue in the face, but nothing happens.
When, however, I click on the widget, i'm brought to the search app, where I am prompted with "say OK Google or.....". Now, I can say OK Google, and it works.
This, obviously, is COMPLETELY useless, since i'm already in the search app, and I could have hit the microphone button to get the the voice search.

So, Whassup with that?

Thanks, A.

Settings, language, English USA. Now it works.

Blake Mead

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Tablets like the Nexus 7 (2012,2013) and Nexus 10 don't support Home Screen "Ok, Google..." functionality even if you are running 4.4.2 as SpookDroid mentioned before the device has specific code to allow the phone to be in a Listening/waiting mode. My suggestion to you is put the search widget on your home screen and hit the microphone on the widget. same effect without technically going into the app.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC