1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default OK google, AGAIN

I know people must be sick and tired of these issues, so I apologize.

The problem is that my nexus home screen has the google widget. I can OK Google until i'm blue in the face, but nothing happens.
    When, however, I click on the widget, i'm brought to the search app, where I am prompted with "say OK Google or.....". Now, I can say OK Google, and it works.
    This, obviously, is COMPLETELY useless, since i'm already in the search app, and I could have hit the microphone button to get the the voice search.

So, Whassup with that?

Thanks, A.

Default Re: OK google, AGAIN

As far as I know, that IS how it's supposed to work... The "Hot Word" (Or OK Google) only works while in the app. Phones like the MotoX have extra software that lets you use the hot word at any time with Google (or Samsung's phones with S-Voice, for instance).

I don't own a Nexus, so I might be wrong, but at least that's how the Google app works on any other phone.

Which Nexus phone, and what version of Android are you running?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Duh, nexus 10, 4.4.2

Quote Originally Posted by Amir Kolsky View Post
    I know people must be sick and tired of these issues, so I apologize.

The problem is that my nexus home screen has the google widget. I can OK Google until i'm blue in the face, but nothing happens.
    When, however, I click on the widget, i'm brought to the search app, where I am prompted with "say OK Google or.....". Now, I can say OK Google, and it works.
    This, obviously, is COMPLETELY useless, since i'm already in the search app, and I could have hit the microphone button to get the the voice search.

So, Whassup with that?

Thanks, A.
    Settings, language, English USA. Now it works.

Tablets like the Nexus 7 (2012,2013) and Nexus 10 don't support Home Screen "Ok, Google..." functionality even if you are running 4.4.2 as SpookDroid mentioned before the device has specific code to allow the phone to be in a Listening/waiting mode. My suggestion to you is put the search widget on your home screen and hit the microphone on the widget. same effect without technically going into the app.