1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default "Hands Free" "Driving Mode" on Nexus 5 with Android 4.4 KitKat

I went through all the settings and could not find a way to configure the phone to speak the SMS, the caller id, etc....when I am driving.
    On my other phone, a samsung galaxy s3 from verizon with android 4.3, there is a "driving mode". I thought it was a true android capability, but could it be a samsung feature instead ?
    In any case how do I get the Nexus 5 with Android 4.4 to do the same ? And as a bonus question, can I get it to do it using an NFC tag...

This is driving me crazy so please somebody answer me fast ! (I called Google and the least I can say is that their support people are absolutely clueless).

Global Posts
    205 Global Posts

Default Re: "Hands Free" "Driving Mode" on Nexus 5 with Android 4.4 KitKat

Quote Originally Posted by yaid#CB View Post
    I went through all the settings and could not find a way to configure the phone to speak the SMS, the caller id, etc....when I am driving.
    On my other phone, a samsung galaxy s3 from verizon with android 4.3, there is a "driving mode". I thought it was a true android capability, but could it be a samsung feature instead ?
    In any case how do I get the Nexus 5 with Android 4.4 to do the same ? And as a bonus question, can I get it to do it using an NFC tag...

This is driving me crazy so please somebody answer me fast ! (I called Google and the least I can say is that their support people are absolutely clueless).
    First of all, welcome to Android Central Forums!
    Secondly, if the Nexus 5 does not have any built-in Driving Mode, you could download an application that does the same, such as Car Home Ultra.
    Proud LG G2 Owner!

Global Posts
    257 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP (M5) Franco (M4)

I wanted something similar... Put and NFC tag in my car and then have my car read text messages that are received as well as being able to reply solely by voice. I thought having an NFC tag that launched OpenMic+ would be cool, but that app is unreliable.

I'll have to try out Car Home Ultra.

Global Posts
    357 Global Posts

CHU is pretty good. If you're looking more for pure voice commands with minimal touching, the stock Google Now voice commands do quite a lot now with recent improvements for phoning, SMS, and navigation you should look up
    The complacency about security among android users is disturbing.

Global Posts
    257 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP (M5) Franco (M4)

I use Google Now voice commands (just click the mic on home screen) for SMS, Navigation and calls quite a bit already. I just wanted something where I wouldn't have to even touch the mic, as well as have it read my text messages out loud. CHU seems like a nice start.