Google Drive, File Size Limit?

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
I had enable encryption of offline documents. That must have been it.

I didn't see the option to read files offline.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

Encryption doesn't have anything to do with it. You can leave that on. The offline option is on each file. For instance, you have a folder with photos in it. Open the folder and you will see a list of photos. Next to each will be a "i". Tap on it and and you will see a thumbnail with the option to open it. Underneath you will see "available offline". Leave it turned off and it will stay in the cloud. Turn it on and it will download so you can view it without an internet connection.

Open Drive, click on My Drive and then Offline. Anything in there?

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Encryption doesn't have anything to do with it. You can leave that on. The offline option is on each file. For instance, you have a folder with photos in it. Open the folder and you will see a list of photos. Next to each will be a "i". Tap on it and and you will see a thumbnail with the option to open it. Underneath you will see "available offline". Leave it turned off and it will stay in the cloud. Turn it on and it will download so you can view it without an internet connection.

Open Drive, click on My Drive and then Offline. Anything in there?

Hi! Yes, the files I uploaded last week from my Nexus 5. It's with the other phone I'm having the data writing to storage problem.

So I have to turn off "available offline" on every file? Any way to batch do it? Thanks. :)

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Well.. I turned off available offline but it's still writing data to storage. I just don't know what I'm doing wrong. Then when I have to free up the phone's storage, and I clear the data from the Drive app, the new file I successfully uploaded gets deleted from the cloud too.

So... if anyone has also seen this and knows how to get it to work right, please let me know. :-/

Sent from my LG-LG870 using Tapatalk 2

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
What phone is the other one and what version of Android?

It's the Optimus f7 on 4.1 Jellybean. Could that make a difference? Also I have two gmail addresses who can use the Drive account and it doesn't matter which one I upload as, the data still gets written to the f7 in both Data and Storage.

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
No, that shouldn't make a difference. I was wondering if it was earlier than Jelly Bean as the file structure was different and there were 2 storage areas. I really can't imagine why everything you upload with your Nexus 5 automatically gets downloaded to your other phone. The whole point of Drive is to avoid the storage limitations of devices.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
No, that shouldn't make a difference. I was wondering if it was earlier than Jelly Bean as the file structure was different and there were 2 storage areas. I really can't imagine why everything you upload with your Nexus 5 automatically gets downloaded to your other phone. The whole point of Drive is to avoid the storage limitations of devices.

I must be doing something wrong. I don't think it's the files I uploaded with the n5 coming down, I think it's the files I try to upload with the f7 get duplicated on the f7 storage and data areas. Those are the same file sizes more or less. I just don't know why they would. :confused:

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
And thank you again, patruns, and all, for trying to help me with this. Maybe it's one of those "will reveal later" type mysteries, like when you lose something and can't find it until years later. :-/ :)

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I think I may have discovered the answer. I had sync still turned on in Settings, Accounts, Google, Drive. So I've turned that off on both phones and after I charge the one phone, I'll see whether I still have the problem after uploading a file.

Many thanks to all who helped! I'll post back with results.

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
I have that turned on as well and have not noticed any issues. Then again I don't really have much stored in Drive at the moment.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Well the other phone is off the charger so now I can try uploading again. Fingers crossed. :)

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
OK, I turned off sync in the Settings, Accounts (of both phones), but still, I'm not able to upload without the internal storage of the (other) phone, from which I'm trying to upload, getting filled up and the low storage warning.

I'm not sure what else the problem is except maybe since the upload keeps failing, the data might otherwise disappear again if the back up would complete. :-/

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Since I can't get a large(r) file to upload at all I think this will have to go on hold.

I was able to upload an even larger file to dropbox yesterday, from the n5, without a low storage warning, so I think Google Drive may have too many problems for me than it's worth, right now.

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Are you saying that if you upload a file from the "bad" phone it downloads everything in the cloud to that phone at the same time?

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Are you saying that if you upload a file from the "bad" phone it downloads everything in the cloud to that phone at the same time?

I'm not sure what it's writing to the phone, but yes, the phone fills up with data that wasn't there before the attempted upload, unless it's the same file I'm trying to upload being temporarily copied to storage again.

clipclop

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
Hello there everyone!

I sympathize as I'm having the same issue, this time on a stock Samsung S2. Large uploads fill up the internal storage. It seems bizarre that on such a mainstream android device the flagship google cloud storage app should unnecessarily cram the phone full of duplicate data instead of passing it to the cloud.

I'm not storing the file(s) offline.
Tried with / without encryption.
Often uploads stop not long after low storage warnings.
As with mrsmumbles, Google Drive's manipulation (creation?) of large files blocks up the app's ability to transfer the data.

If anyone can help please let us know.

Many thanks!!

Lane Viss

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys, sorry I'm late to the party. It sounds like a problem I recently discovered - when GDrive does an upload, it makes a COPY of the file you want to upload, then uploads the copy, then deletes it. With your large file, this copy operation is running out of phone storage. That is also the reason you don't see the progress bar. It doesn't show up until after the copy operation happens and the upload starts.

I don't know of a good workaround. Just make sure you have more free space on your phone than the size of the file you are uploading, and it should work.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys, sorry I'm late to the party. It sounds like a problem I recently discovered - when GDrive does an upload, it makes a COPY of the file you want to upload, then uploads the copy, then deletes it. With your large file, this copy operation is running out of phone storage. That is also the reason you don't see the progress bar. It doesn't show up until after the copy operation happens and the upload starts.

I don't know of a good workaround. Just make sure you have more free space on your phone than the size of the file you are uploading, and it should work.

Wow, thank you Lane! That certainly explains a lot. :):thumbup:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Junkie XL