Google Drive, File Size Limit?

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Is there a file size limit per individual files on Drive? I'm having trouble uploading larger movie files. Also, is there a progress bar somewhere I don't know about? It's like transferring blind which is inconvenient. Thanks!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I believe the file size limit is 10 GB. Not sure about the progress bar or upload state.

Edit: I just checked and you can upload files through the Drive App. When the upload starts there's a progress bar with percentage in the upload section of the App and a notification on the status bar when the upload completes.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I believe the file size limit is 10 GB. Not sure about the progress bar or upload state.

Edit: I just checked and you can upload files through the Drive App. When the upload starts there's a progress bar with percentage in the upload section of the App and a notification on the status bar when the upload completes.

Really? I haven't seen a progress bar.. Also, this is a problem. When I try to upload files from a different device, it appears drive is actually downloading to the new device everything already in Drive! It's Driving me crazy. :what::confused::eek:

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Thank you, by the way! I didn't mean to be rude but there's a racket going on here... Can't think too clearly. 🙀😾🙀

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Are the files showing in other devices or actually downloading?

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Are the files showing in other devices or actually downloading?

I don't know. I tried uploading a couple of large files and I had almost 2 gigs free on this phone (out of 4).

The next thing I knew the second upload had failed and I got the low storage warning. I went into apps and saw Drive had filled the free 2 gigs so I deleted its data. Then when I checked the cloud the first file was empty. :confused:

Sent from my LG870 via Tapatalk 2

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
I wouldn't delete Drive data from your phone. The syncing process requires some data to be downloaded on your phone. But Google decides intelligently how much, and if your phone needs the space for something else, Google will make way automatically. Bottom line is if space is available, Google's cloud apps will take it (other than Drive, Music is notorious for doing this), and then when you need the space back, it will automatically clear.

As for file size limit, it is 10 GB (per Google's support page), but remember that you must have enough space available on your Drive in order to be able to upload such a big file, and Drive+Gmail get 15 GB of free storage combined. How much storage do you have left on your Drive?

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't delete Drive data from your phone. The syncing process requires some data to be downloaded on your phone. But Google decides intelligently how much, and if your phone needs the space for something else, Google will make way automatically. Bottom line is if space is available, Google's cloud apps will take it (other than Drive, Music is notorious for doing this), and then when you need the space back, it will automatically clear.

As for file size limit, it is 10 GB (per Google's support page), but remember that you must have enough space available on your Drive in order to be able to upload such a big file, and Drive+Gmail get 15 GB of free storage combined. How much storage do you have left on your Drive?

Thank you! I have almost all the space left in the cloud.

The problem was that every megabyte (2gigs!) on my phone got filled up. Then I got the low storage warning. I had to delete the Drive data. How could it write 2 gigs to my phone while I was only trying to upload? I know you said the cloud will take it temporarily, but this phone has low storage to begin with. And Drive didn't vacate the phone storage, just filled it and then I got the warning. :confused::what::banghead: :-/

Sent from my LG870 via Tapatalk 2

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Hmm, that is odd. What is your cache size set to for Drive on your phone?

Hi again! Can the cache be manually set? I tried the menu button in the settings, apps, Drive, but nothing happens. I guess if I must I could switch to an easier cloud service but I hate to have another expense.

Sent from my LG-LG870 using Tapatalk 2

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
The default cache is 50MB. other choices are 25, 100 & 250. It is in the settings when you first open Drive on your phone.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
The default cache is 50MB. other choices are 25, 100 & 250. It is in the settings when you first open Drive on your phone.

Thank you. Then I can't imagine why Drive filled up my whole internal storage just while I was trying to upload files. I didn't even get to upload more than one because Drive wrote 2 gigs of data to my phone, far larger than what I was uploading. It doesn't make sense.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I unselected encrypt offline documents and tried again. The upload failed and again Drive wrote 1 1/5 gigs data to my device and I got a low storage warning. :confused:

Sent from my LG-LG870 using Tapatalk 2

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
Okay I'm stumped. At this point, you may wish to try uninstalling Drive and then reinstalling it and repeating the process. Also, is there any way you can upload the file from a different location, like a desktop or a laptop, for example?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Okay I'm stumped. At this point, you may wish to try uninstalling Drive and then reinstalling it and repeating the process. Also, is there any way you can upload the file from a different location, like a desktop or a laptop, for example?

Hi. Unfortunately no, since I don't have a working computer. (If I did, I wouldn't really want to upload these particular files to the cloud, though.)

I'll try uninstalling, reinstalling, but I think this is how it works and I'm somehow missing something. I don't know what, but I must be doing something wrong.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site

And many thanks to you, and patruns, and srkmagnus, for all your help with this. I appreciate it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
szcad