Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Google Voice VOIP for Android is going away... your thoughts?

Google has announced that, on March 14 of this year, they are shutting off external access to XMPP for their Google Voice services. As a consequence, any program like Talkatone or GrooVe IP will stop working on that date. I know there are a LOT of people who, like me, use that as a way to keep their monthly cell phone bill to a minimum.

This was, of course, a significant deciding factor for me in going with T-Mobile's $30/mo plan.

I have some questions for the community. Please bear in mind that I have a Nexus 4 when answering them.

1. Has anyone heard any credible information on what Google's plans are vis a vis Google Voice VOIP accessibility from Android? In other words, are there plans to integrate the functionality into existing apps like Dialer or Hangouts or the "Google Voice" app, or are they looking at introducing a new VOIP-specific app?

2. Given that there are other VOIP alternatives out there, has anyone used VOIP over 3G and/or HSPA+, and if so can you compare it to Google's existing service + using Talkatone/GrooVe IP?

3. Has anyone here used a SIP-type of service (the presumption here being that it can also make/receive POTS calls)? What have your experiences been?

The alternative to this for people like me, of course, is to go with another carrier, such as Straight Talk. I have considered doing this, though I really dread the idea of going down to 2.5GB/mo. I really don't understand why they picked 2.5GB, nor do I understand why just about all the other carriers have retardedly small amounts of data included for plans even going up to as much as $50 a month.

Anyhow... thoughts, folks?

Default Re: Google Voice VOIP for Android is going away... your thoughts?

I stopped using GrooveIP/Talkatone since the quality isn't so good. (I don't like Talkatone with the storing your Google password on their server from what I read and also I paid for no ads and was not able to redeem it and they didn't refund me.)

There are alternatives like Viber and Vonage, which use a different type codec. Viber is more popular, I mainly use Vonage since its based in the US (not sure if that makes a difference to security depends on how you look at it). The codec it use only allow out going call, but the quality is very good even on 3G. I like it because it let you use your real phone number. To get incoming calls, two person have to have the app running, then you can also send text message or 1min long video, or live chat. But the direct call feature (call from the app to an actual phone) is free in US/Canada only.

There is a way to activate your GoogleVoice number to work with Vonage. When you run the app it auto detect number, erase it and enter the GoogleVoice number, it will try to send you a text message with the activation code, which will fail for GoogleVoice number, so press Back to cancel it, then select the option for it to Call you instead. After a moment you will get a call or voicemail to your GoogleVoice inbox with the activation code.

ROM
    4.1.2 stock JB

I bought GrooveIP but didn't like it... I've been forcing everyone i know to call via Viber.. Eventually things workd out and now everyone calls me via viber app lol ))) i hope Google will finally offer us free calling

If you are just calling people, MagicJack has been consistently the best choice for me. Crystal clear on 3G and WiFi, and its free.

As for messaging, there is always hangouts. I'm hoping they incorporate voice into hangouts at some point

Sent from my super awesome moto g.

I am hoping either GrooVe IP figures out a different way or Google incorporates it into Hangouts. I only have mine set up in the event I lose cell service like I did after Sandy. Otherwise, I have no need for VOIP.
    Pat

Galaxy Nexus 10 - stock KitKat 4.4.4
    Galaxy Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) - stock KitKat 4.4.4
    Chromecast
    Nexus 5 - stock KitKat 4.4.4

Global Posts
    664 Global Posts

Skype worked out well for me, but it is paid and I never tried using it on cellular data. Now that Solavei significantly increased rates for their upper tier data plan, the only other carrier out there (that I know of) that offers more than 2.5 GB of data for under $50 is Go Smart with 5GB of 3g data for $45. (That is if you can live with 3g speeds).

Global Posts
    11,780 Global Posts
    ROM
    GS3: CleanROM / N4: AOKP

The iOS version of Hangouts already supports making and receiving calls using your Google Voice number. You can also make and receive GV calls using the Hangouts extension on a desktop Chrome browser. It seems unlikely that Google would add this functionality to Chrome and iOS, but not add this to Android.

"The iOS Hangouts app just got a major update that enables voice calling. If you're a Google Voice user, outgoing Hangouts calls will use your Google Voice number. Incoming calls to that number can be answered from the Hangouts app. Yes, iOS got this update before Android did. Yes, it's a direct shot at FaceTime Audio. And yes, it's very important to all of us as Android users."

http://m.androidcentral.com/hangouts...alling-feature

Sent from my Galaxy Note II

Before we switched to T-Mobile, my wife was using VoIPBuster. She liked it. Never had any quality/connectivity issues. They have an app: MobileVoIP. We never used that all that much, because calling from the tablets wasn't all that handy. Once we got handsets that would make it handy, we didn't need it, any more, because, for $10/mo., we just added discounted international calling to my wife's line.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

GoSmart sounds like a better option. I wonder who's network they use.

I gave up on GV just recently after a good 6 months of usage. The lack of mms (with anyone not on Sprint or T-Mo) and just generally cumbersome nature killed it for me. I switched to gophone anyway which offers unlimited talk/text. I still use my GV number when I am home through chrome on my desktop.

Quote Originally Posted by Tall Mike 2145 View Post
    GoSmart sounds like a better option. I wonder who's network they use.
    GoSmart is owned by T-Mobile, but the data speed is throttled.

Global Posts
    664 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by someguy01234 View Post
    GoSmart is owned by T-Mobile, but the data speed is throttled.
    Website claims 5GB of 3g data before throttling.

TallMike, I seem to recall one of the AC writers tried out go smart and wrote they lost their number when they tried to port.

Quote Originally Posted by jdbii View Post
    Website claims 5GB of 3g data before throttling.

TallMike, I seem to recall one of the AC writers tried out go smart and wrote they lost their number when they tried to port.
    The first 5GB 3G data itself is throttled, at 0.9Mbps, after that it's throttled further to 112kbps (while still running on 3G.)
    Thanked by 2:

Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Their adding Voice to Hangouts, as so the iOS app. They announced they were shutting down these services so they can add it to hangouts android, leaving it open was going to mess with security or something.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    835 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM9

Quote Originally Posted by Tall Mike 2145 View Post
    Google has announced that, on March 14 of this year, they are shutting off external access to XMPP for their Google Voice services. As a consequence, any program like Talkatone or GrooVe IP will stop working on that date. I know there are a LOT of people who, like me, use that as a way to keep their monthly cell phone bill to a minimum.

This was, of course, a significant deciding factor for me in going with T-Mobile's $30/mo plan.

I have some questions for the community. Please bear in mind that I have a Nexus 4 when answering them.

1. Has anyone heard any credible information on what Google's plans are vis a vis Google Voice VOIP accessibility from Android? In other words, are there plans to integrate the functionality into existing apps like Dialer or Hangouts or the "Google Voice" app, or are they looking at introducing a new VOIP-specific app?

2. Given that there are other VOIP alternatives out there, has anyone used VOIP over 3G and/or HSPA+, and if so can you compare it to Google's existing service + using Talkatone/GrooVe IP?

3. Has anyone here used a SIP-type of service (the presumption here being that it can also make/receive POTS calls)? What have your experiences been?

The alternative to this for people like me, of course, is to go with another carrier, such as Straight Talk. I have considered doing this, though I really dread the idea of going down to 2.5GB/mo. I really don't understand why they picked 2.5GB, nor do I understand why just about all the other carriers have retardedly small amounts of data included for plans even going up to as much as $50 a month.

Anyhow... thoughts, folks?
    This is what you can do with groove i.p and its awesome because you can use a tablet such as a nexus 7 or even a phone that has no service to it to make calls over wifi using google voice and also use it for text messages using google voice.

For app reviews and Rom reviews follow me on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/OnEmOsPhErE86
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

Quote Originally Posted by sk8trix View Post
    This is what you can do with groove i.p and its awesome because you can use a tablet such as a nexus 7 or even a phone that has no service to it to make calls over wifi using google voice and also use it for text messages using google voice.
    Right, and...?
    Thanked by:

If you want to buy a phone up front and not pay $30 for service, you can go with Republic for $5 a month (well, after fees it's like $6) for unlimited wifi calling, text and data -- they don't require nor provide cell service on that plan.

Or for $10 you can get unlimited talk and text, unlimited wifi data (I know how silly that sounds, but I'm trying to make clear the distinction).

https://republicwireless.com/plans

I've got a Moto X for myself and one for my father, and having my cell phone bill be a small fraction of what it was on Sprint makes me happy. I'm on unlimited 3G service for $25 (there's a 5GB mark where it'll throttle the second and subsequent times you surpass it -- first month you go beyond, you can go nuts), and I set him up with the $10 plan. No more $130/month phone bills.

-John