Printing

kkhanmd

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
I got my KK today its 4.4 build date Dec 6th on Verizon Max. However under printing tab, it says no services installed, any idea whats happening?

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
The two default printing services installed for the Nexus 4 are Cloud Print and HP Print Service Plugin, you can download them from the PlayStore.

jerrod6

May 20, 2011
Visit site
How will HPPrint service work with non HP printers? I don't get it. I sounds like this is fine as long as you have an HP printer, but if you have another one like myself(one that matches my camera so that I can print pictures) I can't see how this works? And for me with a Nexus 5 why is this on the phone in the first place. Seems like it should be in the play store for those that need it.

Perhaps I don't know how the HP Print service works so that's why I am commenting and asking.

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
How will HPPrint service work with non HP printers? I don't get it. I sounds like this is fine as long as you have an HP printer, but if you have another one like myself(one that matches my camera so that I can print pictures) I can't see how this works? And for me with a Nexus 5 why is this on the phone in the first place. Seems like it should be in the play store for those that need it.

Perhaps I don't know how the HP Print service works so that's why I am commenting and asking.
Google - Cloud Print

jerrod6

May 20, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for your comment. I have a Canon printer but for cloud print you need a MGX200 series. I have an MGX100 series purchased a few years ago and not likely going to purchase a new printer just for this. What would have been better is if we could simply print from our phones over Wifi Canon has an app that does this. I can print pictures from my phone directly to my printer over my network. I can print PDFs too just not plain documents so this could have been done from Google too and no need for HP print service or any other thing.

Thanks again for your suggestion

jerrod6

May 20, 2011
Visit site
Yes I have Google cloud configured on my PC and that will work, but I can't see how I can get information from my phone to my PC then to the printer. Wouldn't that required me to load the desired printer text to the PC then try to print. Actually I think I tried that, but the security on my Pc will not allow my phone to connect to it and there is no way I can enter a valid computer user ID into the phone. I think that was the problem when I tried. I'll look at this some more, but it just shouldn't be this hard when my canon app can do it right over my home network.

April920

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
There should be an option in the chrome settings to add your printer. I have to go to my settings.

Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
You can use the app Printer Share, it can detect any network printer I think, it's what I've been using for my old Canon. But it's $13. Also to print from a webpage you need to use it's internal web browser.

sent via tapatalk

Last edited:

kkhanmd

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
I am only seeing HP print services under my print tab even though I have both google cloud print and H/P installed from the play store. Any idea if that is a bug that gets fixed in 4.4.2?

kkhanmd

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
can anyone tell me how to see my printer on the wifi network? The printer does NOT have an email address but its connected to my router and thats how i print through my PC, but on my phone it says the printer is offline even though it not.

jerrod6

May 20, 2011
Visit site
Here is another question. I can print pictures and PDF', using my canon app. In Gmail when you select save it creates a PDF.
When I do this and select save and then say to save in downloads folder the email never shows up anyplace in this folder. If I open downloads and select a file it gives me the option to print it using my canon app but Is there a special folder that the email app is trying to save a PDF to.

jerrod6

May 20, 2011
Visit site
There should be an option in the chrome settings to add your printer. I have to go to my settings.

Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One

Sorry but my phone is already added to cloud print in my chrome browser and still nothing will print. When I select print in Gmail the only option given is save as PDF. When I save as PDF I can't find where it is saved.
I also have HPprint service on my phone. It does not show as any app so I can't do any configuration to that.

kkhanmd

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
Sorry but my phone is already added to cloud print in my chrome browser and still nothing will print. When I select print in Gmail the only option given is save as PDF. When I save as PDF I can't find where it is saved.
I also have HPprint service on my phone. It does not show as any app so I can't do any configuration to that.

HP print service is a plug in so wont show as an app.
It saves it in google drive.
I wish google cloud could print to wifi printers.

jerrod6

May 20, 2011
Visit site
HP print service is a plug in so wont show as an app.
It saves it in google drive.
I wish google cloud could print to wifi printers.

I checked in Drive and don't see anything I was trying to print and save. What folder does it save it to in Drive?

kkhanmd

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
So I tried all day yesterday. I can see classic printer on my google chrome on PC but cant see my classic printer on android google cloud print app. Any solutions?

jerrod6

May 20, 2011
Visit site
OK I already have Google Cloud Print. The problem I am having with Gmail is that I dont't have any way to select a folder it just goes to the downloads folder but after I save it I can't find it in the downloads folder when it opens automatically in quickoffice. On the other hand since I have a Canon PIXIMA printer I just installed the PIXIMA app from the Playstore and it can find the saved PDF in the downloaded folder. This doesn't make any sense to me but that's what happening on my N5 phone. So I will have to use the Canon app anytime I want to print email. This is still a cumbersome resolution to something that shouldn't be. I can understand having to go thru multiple steps using the Canon app. But doing so with Google on their own platform seems to be unnecessary. I should be able to select print and then have it go there in one step. I have my printer defined to Chrome. The information must be stored on their servers so why can't they just send the email to my printer? I understand that it is currently thru cloud print, thru my PC but once the PC and the printer and the network is running the print should just go there without this extra step save to PDF monkey business.