Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Haalcyon
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Why people and articles say Android still needs work

So I'm brand new to the android OS. at least for a few years I haven't used it. Had a Verizon Galaxy Fascinate android 2.0 lagged extremely and then went to iOS with the 4s then WP and now 3 1/2 years later Im back to android with Note 3. Android feels and is extremely better and yet I see still people saying as well as articles from tech sites why and what android needs work on...... Why??????

Posted via Android Central App
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 01-18-2014 at 08:19 PM.
    Thanked by:

Default Re: Why people and articles say android still needs work

Things always improve and so do competitors, I think tech sites are trying to say the android is needs to keep innovating to stay ahead maybe?

- Android Central App. N'oublions jamais l'Australie, Villers-Bretonneux.
    Tom Fairclough
    Credo faber est quisque fortunae suae
    I believe every man is the artisan of his own fortune

I agree with Tom, and even to me sometimes Android seems to lack polish but it's still the most versatile OS there is, IMHO.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    6,219 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

I have a Note 3 and iP5s and can clearly see the polish in apps iOS has vs. Android. That may be because iOS devs know the hardware they're apps are going to be on as compared to an infinite variety of devices with android. I see it in games and in everyday apps. The iOS versions always seem to have more polish. However, at least it's gotten to a point that there nearly always IS an Android counterpart to an iOS title...unlike windows phone.

N3
    Live long and prosper.

Default Re: Why people and articles say Android still needs work

Since Android is an open source platform it will always be evolving and changing. That's what draws most people to it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Global Posts
    398 Global Posts

Android will never be iOS. People who accuse it of "lacking polish" fail to grasp this. I'm not saying it is better than iOS. It is just different. They both have different goals. For some the flexibility and freedom of Android will be worth dealing with buggy software and other oddities, for others the restrictions on iOS will be worth it for the security and stability it provides.

Quote Originally Posted by Algus View Post
    Android will never be iOS. People who accuse it of "lacking polish" fail to grasp this. I'm not saying it is better than iOS. It is just different. They both have different goals. For some the flexibility and freedom of Android will be worth dealing with buggy software and other oddities, for others the restrictions on iOS will be worth it for the security and stability it provides.
    I said "lacking polish" and I've never used anything Apple. And obviously Android is worth it to me.

Sent from my LG-LG870 using Tapatalk 2

And the best part is the Nexus 5 is even smoother than note 3. Android has come a long way

Posted via Android Central App

I think Apple has really helped evolve the smartphone concept, and for that matter they can be credited with a lot of the tech advancement we've seen over the last 20+ years. So to the degree that they have been the rising tide that floats all boats, props to them.

However, times have changed in the sense that the driving platforms are no longer hardware but software, and more than that we can see the benefits of open source software and the massive peer review that comes with publicly-posted code.

Sure, Android can improve. It should improve. But then again, look at iOS. It has also been changing and improving right along. And so, probably, has Windows Mobile, etc. This is market forces of competition at its finest and best.

There have been casualties along the way as well, such as Palm's PalmOS and webOS, and the smartphone project (I forget the name) which tried to have and use fully hackable and open source hardware. And looming on the horizon is Mozilla's own offering, Firefox OS, running on deliberately lower-end hardware.

This is how this industry should be.

Global Posts
    4,299 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (4.3)

Quote Originally Posted by Tall Mike 2145 View Post
    I think Apple has really helped evolve the smartphone concept, and for that matter they can be credited with a lot of the tech advancement we've seen over the last 20+ years. So to the degree that they have been the rising tide that floats all boats, props to them.

However, times have changed in the sense that the driving platforms are no longer hardware but software, and more than that we can see the benefits of open source software and the massive peer review that comes with publicly-posted code.

Sure, Android can improve. It should improve. But then again, look at iOS. It has also been changing and improving right along. And so, probably, has Windows Mobile, etc. This is market forces of competition at its finest and best.

There have been casualties along the way as well, such as Palm's PalmOS and webOS, and the smartphone project (I forget the name) which tried to have and use fully hackable and open source hardware. And looming on the horizon is Mozilla's own offering, Firefox OS, running on deliberately lower-end hardware.

This is how this industry should be.
    No, you see the benefit of cheap hardware.

Not exclusive to Android, either. Microsoft/Nokia also see this, which is why much of WP8's growth is because of a $100 low end smartphone.

People say Android needs work because it does, obviously, need work. The user experience has many shortcomings compared to other platforms. The reasons it is dominant is because of how it's propagated, however delivering a better user experience than iOS or WP8 is not Google's first priority. Collecting Data and Targetting Advertisements is. Much of that work is left to the OEMs, and how much better they are at this than Google is clear with how many exorbitantly-priced phones they sell even with cheap-as-hell Nexus are available.

Quote Originally Posted by n8ter#AC View Post
    No, you see the benefit of cheap hardware.

Not exclusive to Android, either. Microsoft/Nokia also see this, which is why much of WP8's growth is because of a $100 low end smartphone.

People say Android needs work because it does, obviously, need work. The user experience has many shortcomings compared to other platforms. The reasons it is dominant is because of how it's propagated, however delivering a better user experience than iOS or WP8 is not Google's first priority. Collecting Data and Targetting Advertisements is. Much of that work is left to the OEMs, and how much better they are at this than Google is clear with how many exorbitantly-priced phones they sell even with cheap-as-hell Nexus are available.
    "Cheap as hell" Nexus still costs more unlocked than "exorbitantly priced" phones on contract. The prices aren't crazy. The phones are small computers after all.

Global Posts
    4,299 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (4.3)

Quote Originally Posted by mrsmumbles View Post
    "Cheap as hell" Nexus still costs more unlocked than "exorbitantly priced" phones on contract. The prices aren't crazy. The phones are small computers after all.

Nexus 5 cost more than a Note 3 or what an S4 or one costs from Google Play?

Sorry, not buying it :-)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Nexus 5 cost more than a Note 3 or what an S4 or one costs from Google Play?

Sorry, not buying it :-)

That proves my point. Nexus and GPE phones cost more than phones which are "exorbitantly priced" on contract.

Global Posts
    4,299 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (4.3)

That proves my point. Nexus and GPE phones cost more than phones which are "exorbitantly priced" on contract.

No one mentioned a contract. Stop inventing things.

I'm comparing Nexus to OEM device pricing. The Nexus are cheaper whether they're Google Play or not. Contracts are subsidies/dinning pretty much. The up front cost is not the real price. You still pay for the entire phone one way or another.

No one mentioned a contract. Stop inventing things.

You did. You were comparing "cheap" nexus phones to phones most people buy for less outright with contract subsidies.

When I say Android lacks polish, that's not in comparison with anything but Android because I'd like to see it achieve perfection. No other os is perfect either, and Android is still faster than iOS when it's unpolluted by heavy skins.

Global Posts
    4,299 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (4.3)

You did. You were comparing "cheap" nexus phones to phones most people buy for less outright with contract subsidies.

When I say Android lacks polish, that's not in comparison with anything but Android because I'd like to see it achieve perfection. No other os is perfect either, and Android is still faster than iOS when it's unpolluted by heavy skins.

You don't buy for less on Contract, unless you're too dumb to understand how subsidies work and why ETF fees are pay for the course on contract carriers.

Android is faster than neither iOS nor Windows Phone. Touch Win doesn't have the. Pact you people would like others to believe it does either. I've tried both. There are little to no benefits to using Stock over TW , but the opposite cannot be said.

Bloatware just disable it. It isn't hard.

You don't buy for less on Contract, unless you're too dumb to understand how subsidies work and why ETF fees are pay for the course on contract carriers.

Android is faster than neither iOS nor Windows Phone. Touch Win doesn't have the. Pact you people would like others to believe it does either. I've tried both. There are little to no benefits to using Stock over TW , but the opposite cannot be said.

Bloatware just disable it. It isn't hard.

Subsidies are more expensive in the long run. I'm talking about the cost of a nexus outright.

Please don't use insulting language.

Touch wiz and other skins are always still there, slowing down the OS unless you root and flash an AOSP ROM.

Pure Google and AOSP is faster than iOS. Many former iOS users have said so.

Global Posts
    4,299 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (4.3)

Subsidies are more expensive in the long run. I'm talking about the cost of a nexus outright.

Please don't use insulting language.

Touch wiz and other skins are always still there, slowing down the OS unless you root and flash an AOSP ROM.

Pure Google and AOSP is faster than iOS. Many former iOS users have said so.

I had ios devices. It's not. Touch wiz is a launcher like GEL. Skinning in many cases are just interface and icon changes. People act like Samsung completely replaced the gui subsystem in the OS. Even some of Google Apps are sluggish on top of that, hangouts for example.

That is all your opinion and assumptions. Exaggerated at that.

The Nexus are always cheaper. Subsidized or not.

Global Posts
    11,763 Global Posts
    ROM
    GS3: CleanROM / N4: AOKP

Keep the discussion civil and on-topic. Thread has been cleaned up.

Sent from my Galaxy Note II