1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default How to stop auto correct / spell check when typing a url in hangouts?

This is very annoying and I'm amazed that searching google and forums doesn't seem to find anyone else frustrated by this!

Problem Description:
    When using Google Hangouts to text on my Nexus 5, every time I enter a web url the string is spell checked and becomes un-clickable.

Example:
    If I type: "whatismyandrioidversion.com" into a txt/sms chat using hangouts, the string is spellchecked and auto corrected to "what is my android version.com".
    So, then I have to go through a very annoying process of deleting the spaces between each word and fixing the url before I send the message.

I'm new to Android and would appreciate anyone able to give me some relief on this!

Thank YOU!

Scott

Default Re: How to stop auto correct / spell check when typing a url in hangouts?

Quote Originally Posted by chazk7 View Post
    This is very annoying and I'm amazed that searching google and forums doesn't seem to find anyone else frustrated by this!

Problem Description:
    When using Google Hangouts to text on my Nexus 5, every time I enter a web url the string is spell checked and becomes un-clickable.

Example:
    If I type: "whatismyandrioidversion.com" into a txt/sms chat using hangouts, the string is spellchecked and auto corrected to "what is my android version.com".
    So, then I have to go through a very annoying process of deleting the spaces between each word and fixing the url before I send the message.

I'm new to Android and would appreciate anyone able to give me some relief on this!

Thank YOU!

Scott
    Go to settings/ keyboard and uncheck spell check..

sent from my Nexus 7 using tapatalk pro..
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: How to stop auto correct / spell check when typing a url in hangouts?

Exceeder, thank you for your response. I should have clarified my desired result: I want spell check to inspect my typing everywhere except when I am typing a URL.

In other words, spell check needs to be able to recognize a URL and not try to correct it.

I am suspecting this would be a feature recommendation and oppty for KitKat to be improved!
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Anyone know the best way to communicate to the proper developer team for suggesting improvements in KitKat?