Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Home button goes to home screen after 4.4 update

I updated my Droid Maxx to 4.4. The change I first noticed is that the home key takes you back to the home screen instead of just leaving an app and returning to the screen I was originly on. This is definitly new. Is there a way to turn it off?
    Thanked by:

Default Re: Home button goes to home screen after 4.4 update

Before 4.4, how did the home and back button act differently from each other?

Posted via Android Central App
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Before the update, the back button would go back a page in an app. If you were at the first page of the app it would back out of the app and return you to the screen that the app was located on. The home button would back out of the app immediatly and leave it on whatever you were looking at last; it would back out to whatever screen you were on last. For example, if you were looking at screen 4 of 5, it would back out of the app to that screen.

After the update, the back button works the same as above. The home button backs out of the open app in the same way as above and then goes to the home screen. By home screen, I mean the 3rd of the 5 screens. This happens when I'm using an app that is not on that 3rd page. Does what I'm saying make sense?

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Ford1 View Post
    Before the update, the back button would go back a page in an app. If you were at the first page of the app it would back out of the app and return you to the screen that the app was located on. The home button would back out of the app immediatly and leave it on whatever you were looking at last; it would back out to whatever screen you were on last. For example, if you were looking at screen 4 of 5, it would back out of the app to that screen.

After the update, the back button works the same as above. The home button backs out of the open app in the same way as above and then goes to the home screen. By home screen, I mean the 3rd of the 5 screens. This happens when I'm using an app that is not on that 3rd page. Does what I'm saying make sense?
    That's not how the nexus devices work. Back button takes u back to where u were before the page your on while home takes u home

Sent from my Venue 7 3730 using Tapatalk

I updated my Droid Maxx to 4.4. The change I first noticed is that the home key takes you back to the home screen instead of just leaving an app and returning to the screen I was originly on. This is definitly new. Is there a way to turn it off?
    Are you using a stock ROM and were you using one before? The Home button is just that. It takes you to the home screen from wherever you are. If you just want to get back to another app you were running all you have to do it tap the recent apps button and then tap the app you want to get back to.

Nice Firebird BTW......
    Pat

Galaxy Nexus 10 - stock KitKat 4.4.4
    Galaxy Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) - stock KitKat 4.4.4
    Chromecast
    Nexus 5 - stock KitKat 4.4.4
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

@ patruns, yes stock roms before and after on my Droid Maxx phone. I swear I am not imagining this way of functioning. I have two lenovo TP tablets, one is stock ICS and the other is JB thanks to Cyanogenmod; both act in the exact same manner I'm describing before the 4.4 update on my phone. If I want to leave an app and return to the home screen I would double tap the home button. A single tap leaves the app and returns to whatever screen I was on last. I'm not trying to change between apps. I want to leave an app and stay on whatever screen I was working with when I hit the home button.
    The Firebird is a 1972 Esprit. Thanks for noticing. It's too small to read but the license plate says Camaros Suck! HAHAHAHA! I just completed the finishing touches on my garage and Im going to start the restoration in a few weeks. I'm going to do some customizing, orange exterior with white and black interior with rosewood inlays will stay the same; I have a Formula hood with hood tach that's going on. The Pontiac 350 is getting swapped out for a BMW 10 cylinder, LS7,or a traditional Pontiac 455; respective cost would be 10k, 7k and 5k. Money will be the deciding factor. The tranny willl be a modern OD unit. The rear frame rails are completly rotted and will be replaced with Competition Engineering 2x4 frame rails. Yay welding!

Global Posts
    249 Global Posts

I understand where you are coming from.

Of the five screens you can slide to/from/around, the middle one is always my "home" screen. (Which is default.) One screen to the right, I always have a bunch of bookmarks for my Chrome browser, so when I want a site in particular, I click on it and go. When I want to surf another site, on previous phones, I'd hit the "Home" key and would go back to my screen full of bookmarks.

However, on the Droid Maxx with stock ROM/no root, if I hit the "Home" key, I'm going back to my actual "home" screen. No, I didn't want to go back to my "home" screen; I wanted to go back to my screen with the bookmarks. Which now means I have to slide over to that screen again and basically rinse/repeat as often as needed. It's an extra step that isn't needed.

I would love to see this fixed with a one-touch of the "Home" key to go back to the screen I was on, and a double-tap to go back to the actual "home" screen. (As it is now, a double-tap of the "Home" key does nothing, but I can set it up to be a shortcut to launch a list of predefined apps if I go to Settings and tweak it.) I think such a fix would be great.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

MooCow, thanks for chiming in. We're in the same boat, I want the old way back. Is it possible to uninstall the 4.4 update?

Global Posts
    249 Global Posts

MooCow, thanks for chiming in. We're in the same boat, I want the old way back. Is it possible to uninstall the 4.4 update?
    Based on what I've read on the forums -- and by far, I haven't read every single exhausting bit of knowledge -- I don't think you can go back once you do. I'd have to sniff around the Droid Maxx forums on here but that was the vibe I got.

I am no expert on rooting phones and doing things of that nature, so therefore, those options I will not comment on so I don't cause confusion.

ROM
    Vicious JB V3/ Franco

I'm on a Moto X 4.4 and when I hit the home button it takes me back to whichever home screen I was last on. Regardless of weather or not its my main home screen. The second tap on the home button takes me to my default home screen.

11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Thats what I had before the 4.4 update. I can't find any settings for it.

Global Posts
    249 Global Posts

Thats what I had before the 4.4 update. I can't find any settings for it.
    Was sniffing in the Droid Maxx forum here on AC. Apparently the issue you and I have is a known bug with the Maxx 4.4 update. Now we wait for a fix, whenever that may be.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

For the fun of it I tried a reboot and a factory reset. Neither helped. Seems like something was rushed in this update. Thanks Moo Cow for the post. Is it across all 4.4 devices or specific to Droid Maxx?

Same problem here. Very annoying.

In addition, the KitKat update killed my notification sounds (had to reset everything), killed my bluetooth connection to my car (had to redo that also) and caused wifi to turn off randomly. I'm really not impressed...
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Wow, the home button is a minor annoyance compared to that Mgull. I hope they get you sorted out quickly. Some of these devices and required data services to run them cost too much money for situations like yours to be acceptable.

I tried a few quick google searches that didn't yield much. Is there an official Android site to report these issues and to get news about fixes? Other than Androidcentral.com, I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by mgullick View Post
    Same problem here. Very annoying.

In addition, the KitKat update killed my notification sounds (had to reset everything), killed my bluetooth connection to my car (had to redo that also) and caused wifi to turn off randomly. I'm really not impressed...
    Before kit-kat: phone book, SMS messages and call history all available on BMW IDrive via Bluetooth now only calling. Tried re-pairing to no avail. Is this a bug anyone else has heard of?

Same thing happens to me, instead of just exiting app it goes to primary home screen, problem is a 4.4 issue, because in 4.3 it never happened. Ps, im using cm11 with a galaxy s3, so 100% sure its a kitkat bug.