Why does mobile Hangouts suck?

Bigballer

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I mean seriously, compared to facetime, mobile hangouts isnt even HD, has horrible lag, and takes forever to load

Last edited by a moderator:

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Re: why does mobile hangouts suck?

I mean seriously, compared to facetime, mobile hangouts isnt even HD, has horrible lag, and takes forever to load
It's new, there are bugs. They will get worked out over time. Welcome to Android! New features are always beta releases.

Bigballer

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

Google talk introduced video chatting back in what? 2011?

3 years later, same old problems.

Hangouts desktop works beautifully, mobile, hell no

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

Google talk introduced video chatting back in what? 2011?

3 years later, same old problems.

Hangouts desktop works beautifully, mobile, hell no
Again, Welcome to Android! Everything is beta on Android when it is first released.

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

uhh still doesn't explain why it sucks so much. I feel like compared to facetime, mobile hangouts is almost unusable.
Because it is a new feature of Android. It is beta. It has bugs. Virtually all if not all new features released on Android have bugs because that is the nature of Android - it is geared toward first adopters who want new features quickly even if that means there will be bugs at first.

The bugs eventually get worked out over time.

The first adopter mentality that Google caters to is very different from the I need an idiotproof device mentality that Apple caters to.

Welcome to Android; you're a first adopter!

Bigballer

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

Because it is a new feature of Android. It is beta. It has bugs. Virtually all if not all new features released on Android have bugs because that is the nature of Android - it is geared toward first adopters who want new features quickly even if that means there will be bugs at first.

The first adopter mentality that Google caters to is very different from the I need an idiotproof device mentality that Apple caters to.

Actually no, I've had an android phone since 2011. It never came to me that mobile hangouts is just plain awful for video chatting.

If everything else is a beta, why do certain "beta" apps like translate, now, maps, gmail all work better and are more functional than the awful quality of a video chat presented in hangouts. I mean my Logitech webcam had better quality using MSN messanger in 2001 than mobile hangouts in 2014. And that Logitech webcam wasn't an HD 30 fps webcam.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Many factors -

Is the front facing camera HD? How fast it the network?

Phone/network play a role.

xchange

Banned
Dec 15, 2013
Visit site

I've had fewer problems than I did with Skype, especially after MS bought it. It's not problem free though

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

Actually no, I've had an android phone since 2011.
That's not what first adopter means. First adopter means that you are the first to get new technology and you accept that the price you pay for that is that there are going to be bugs. And an Android first adopter is someone who is the first to get new Android technology.

If everything else is a beta, why do certain "beta" apps like translate, now, maps, gmail all work better and are more functional than the awful quality of a video chat presented in hangouts.
Because developers can't predict the bugs that are in their software. If the software developers could predict which bugs were in their software, they would have written them differently to begin with. Some new apps/features have worse bugs than others.

I mean my Logitech webcam had better quality using MSN messanger in 2001 than mobile hangouts in 2014. And that Logitech webcam wasn't an HD 30 fps webcam.
None of those were Android apps/features. Apples-to-oranges comparison.

Seriously, I have to drop off this convo now because these are simple concepts and I can't keep explaining them over and over again to you. Reread what I have written and if it still doesn't make sense to you, then maybe someone else can help you understand these concepts but I am not going to expend any more effort on it.

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site

Hangouts is not beta, and it certainly isn't new. Hangouts video chat has been in the Google+ app since 2012, IIRC, at least. All Google did was siphon it out to a separate app. That doesn't make it new, the same way it doesn't make the Hangouts chat new, simply because it's in a separate app. That's just reorganizing things...

It's not "new" and it's not "beta" at all.

It should work properly. The video quality is absolutely atrocious even on WiFi. I can't even call it reliable, as it hangs up routinely. I don't use it anymore. I've disabled the app and use Skype instead.

Hangouts is a production-level product, they even advertise it to businesses and I'm pretty sure Enterprise Customers/Clients aren't there to Beta Test apps and be "first adopters."

It's just bad quality video conferencing on mobile, plain and simple.

I am baffled why you had to take the "I need an *****-proof..." route, which is way out of line.

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site

Many factors -

Is the front facing camera HD? How fast it the network?

Phone/network play a role.

Even Galaxy S3 to Galaxy S3 (720p FFCs on both ends) on a fast LTE connection (VZW) with the other person being on a fast cable internet connection (WiFi, probably up and down speeds comparable to my fast LTE) the quality is worse than most video chat apps that I've used.

It can't be the connection because other video chat apps on the same connection and smartphones yield much superior video quality given the same exact conditions and equipment.

Also, I did notice that regardless of the fact that Google said HD was supported, I've never seen an HD hangout either from my PC or from my phone even when both people had great (fast, low latency) connections. It has always looked like a 3rd rate laggy, blotchy, pixelated VGA video stream. The only benefit is the group hangouts (if you have Google+), because the reliability isn't much better than Skype and the Video Quality is consistently worse for me. Clearly worse.

Maybe it has to do with the CODEC they use for the video or something. Whatever. It's super bad, and this software is well beyond Beta or "Early Adopter" Status so I'm not sure why people are using that as an excuse to justify the low quality user experience.

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

Hangouts is not beta, and it certainly isn't new. Hangouts video chat has been in the Google+ app since 2012, IIRC, at least. All Google did was siphon it out to a separate app. That doesn't make it new, the same way it doesn't make the Hangouts chat new, simply because it's in a separate app. That's just reorganizing things...
Everything new in Android is beta whether they call it that or not. As for making something a free standing app, that is something new requiring different interfaces with the OS.

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site

Everything new in Android is beta whether they call it that or not. As for making something a free standing app, that is something new requiring different interfaces with the OS.

You make literally no sense. Leave again so we can discuss the issue logically.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site

If I weren't making sense, you would be able to respond logically instead of resorting to rudeness.

I can't reply to something like that other than to say it makes no sense.

You're calling hangouts beta. That's ridiculous. Bye.

I'm sure the reason why we didn't get an empty trash function in the Android Gmail app until the middle of 2013 is because that app was beta too?

Make more sense, then we can talk.

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

You're calling hangouts beta. That's ridiculous.
It's beta like all new Android features are. That is one of the main differences between the android philosophy and the apple philosophy. Android philosophy is to get new features and updates out quickly even at the price of there still being bugs.

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site

It's beta like all new Android features are. That is one of the main differences between the android philosophy and the apple philosophy. Android philosophy is to get new features and updates out quickly even at the price of there still being bugs.

It's not beta.

Welcome to ignore.

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site

yes it is, just like every new feature on Android. No matter how many times you deny it, it doesn't change the facts. You just don't get it.

No. You don't. You're making excuses. Hangouts is not a beta product. That is just your way of justifying it's subpar quality.

I'm done with you.

When products are beta, Google let's us know. Chrome Beta, anyone. Maps Navigation?

Yes, they replaced messaging and talk with a beta product. Get real. You make literally no sense. Why are you still here trying to peddle this?

Again, hangouts is not new. All they did was reuse code from the G+ app and siphon it off to its own separate app to replace Talk. It's old stuff and it's been bad for well over a year now.

This excuse made a lot more sense in 2012 than it does now. Get real.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084