1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Facebook notifications causing significant battery drain.

Hi there,

I've done numerous searches online to try and find something that is close. I've found a few articles that are closely related, but not quite the same. Hoping to reach out to the community to see if anyone else is experiencing what I am encountering...

Firstly I am running KitKat 4.4.2 on a Nexus 5 (non-rooted).

Now, when it comes to the official Android Facebook application I've been using it on my Nexus 5 and my previous Galaxy S2. I use to always try and remember to place it in the background to minimise battery drain (I know this isn't perfect, but it did make a difference battery wise, because if I leave it in the foreground, the battery would drain).

Recently I've been running a number of tests and I have identified whenever I receive a Facebook notification, battery drain dramatically increases (e.g. over 10% in an hour with no use (sitting idle (black screen) and locked). If I don't get Facebook notifications, then the battery life is solid and last for ages.

So I tried:

Disabling all Facebook notifications. I've then tested a number of times... I get a friend to send me a Facebook private message (they then SMS me to let me know when they send the Facebook message). My phone does NOT generate a Facebook notification message, BUT I notice the dramatic battery drain kicks in as described above (phone gets very warm as well) when they send the Facebook notification.

* I then tried ending the Facebook task. This does nothing. The dramatic battery drain pattern continues.
    * If I turn the phone on and off, it stops the battery drain.
    * I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling Facebook. No difference, problem still occurs.
    * I'm using the latest Facebook application as at 30/01/14.

I know the advice is to uninstall Facebook, but I'm just trying to see if anyone else gets this problem? I know I could also install Greenify, but I don't want to root my phone (yet) (and the non-rooted feature is something you need to remember to do - knowing me I will forget to force stop)).

There was something similar on Facebook Messenger (which I don't have installed) ()

Any thoughts?

Ray.

Default Re: Facebook notifications causing significant battery drain.

Welcome to Android Central! That is odd. Have you tried changing Facebook's refresh interval to Never? You can easily do a manual refresh by swiping down.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: Facebook notifications causing significant battery drain.

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    Welcome to Android Central! That is odd. Have you tried changing Facebook's refresh interval to Never? You can easily do a manual refresh by swiping down.
    Hi B Diddy,

Yes. I can confirm I have refresh internals set to never for Facebook - so in summary the Facebook application settings are: Facebook chat (off), Refresh Interval (never), Messenger Location Services (off), Sync Photos (off), Auto-Play Videos (off). And as mentioned, Notifications (off).

Now I did some more tests. After receiving a Facebook notification, I noticed the battery drain occurring. I decided to then run Greenify (non-rooted) and force-stop Facebook. This surprisingly did not stop the battery drain.

Utterly weird.

Ray.