Hi there,

I've done numerous searches online to try and find something that is close. I've found a few articles that are closely related, but not quite the same. Hoping to reach out to the community to see if anyone else is experiencing what I am encountering...

Firstly I am running KitKat 4.4.2 on a Nexus 5 (non-rooted).

Now, when it comes to the official Android Facebook application I've been using it on my Nexus 5 and my previous Galaxy S2. I use to always try and remember to place it in the background to minimise battery drain (I know this isn't perfect, but it did make a difference battery wise, because if I leave it in the foreground, the battery would drain).

Recently I've been running a number of tests and I have identified whenever I receive a Facebook notification, battery drain dramatically increases (e.g. over 10% in an hour with no use (sitting idle (black screen) and locked). If I don't get Facebook notifications, then the battery life is solid and last for ages.

So I tried:

Disabling all Facebook notifications. I've then tested a number of times... I get a friend to send me a Facebook private message (they then SMS me to let me know when they send the Facebook message). My phone does NOT generate a Facebook notification message, BUT I notice the dramatic battery drain kicks in as described above (phone gets very warm as well) when they send the Facebook notification.

* I then tried ending the Facebook task. This does nothing. The dramatic battery drain pattern continues.
    * If I turn the phone on and off, it stops the battery drain.
    * I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling Facebook. No difference, problem still occurs.
    * I'm using the latest Facebook application as at 30/01/14.

I know the advice is to uninstall Facebook, but I'm just trying to see if anyone else gets this problem? I know I could also install Greenify, but I don't want to root my phone (yet) (and the non-rooted feature is something you need to remember to do - knowing me I will forget to force stop)).

There was something similar on Facebook Messenger (which I don't have installed) (I just found a battery-draining bug in the Facebook Messenger standalone app, and have no idea how to report it to anybody at Facebook who can fix it. : Android)

Any thoughts?

Ray.
    01-29-2014 08:43 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! That is odd. Have you tried changing Facebook's refresh interval to Never? You can easily do a manual refresh by swiping down.
    01-29-2014 09:20 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! That is odd. Have you tried changing Facebook's refresh interval to Never? You can easily do a manual refresh by swiping down.
    Hi B Diddy,

Yes. I can confirm I have refresh internals set to never for Facebook - so in summary the Facebook application settings are: Facebook chat (off), Refresh Interval (never), Messenger Location Services (off), Sync Photos (off), Auto-Play Videos (off). And as mentioned, Notifications (off).

Now I did some more tests. After receiving a Facebook notification, I noticed the battery drain occurring. I decided to then run Greenify (non-rooted) and force-stop Facebook. This surprisingly did not stop the battery drain.

Utterly weird.

Ray.
    01-30-2014 12:56 AM