Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By B. Diddy
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Do I save to photos or gallery?

Hey, guys, quick question here. I'm primarily a WP user so I know almost nothing about Android from the last E years. Well, I figured that I might as well get a brand new moto X during the firesale (bamboo backed BTW) to test drive and I may be over thinking it, but um... Do I save my images to photos or gallery? They both sense, but why are there 2 options? I find that just... Insane, but I guess that's growing pains.

Thanks

Posted via Android Central App

Default Re: Do I save to photos or gallery?

Welcome to Android Central! That bamboo X must look sharp!

The Gallery and Photos apps are simply two slightly different apps that can display your photos. When you select a photo to display, it will prompt you to select one of the apps to use either "Just Once" or "Always." If you select Always, it'll be the default, although you can clear that default by going to Settings>Apps>All, selecting either "Gallery" or "Google+" and tapping Clear Defaults. (The Photos app is actually part of Google+).

For more discussion on how to manage photos, and the difference between Gallery and Photos, see this guide: http://forums.androidcentral.com/gen...4-part-ii.html

In other words, your photos can be opened by either app; you don't need to worry about saving "to" one or the other.

Also, the scuttlebut is that Photos will eventually replace the Gallery app entirely.
    Pat
    Nook Color - CM10.1 ( Jelly Bean 4.2.2) on eMMC
    Google Galaxy Nexus - stock Jelly Bean 4.3
    Galaxy Nexus 10 - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Galaxy Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Chromecast
    Nexus 5 - stock KitKat 4.4.2

Possible, though they have some serious under the hood finagling to do before that happens.

Global Posts
    701 Global Posts

Gosh, but I hate both apps.

I do not want Google+ access to my pics (so there goes Photos), while both apps insist on stripping sub-folders from within main folders (say, if you copied from your computer a folder called '2009' and within that, another exists called 'Beach Trip' - this folder will show up by itself with no reference to its original location) - I'd even be happier with iOS's Photos, which at least keeps the pictures in the same main folders.

And if Google wants to suggest that I individually (or even batch) tag each photo (all 680 of them) so it's apps can figure it out, they are sadly mistaken.

Then don't use them. Try .
    srkmagnus likes this.

Global Posts
    701 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    Then don't use them. Try .
    Nice looking app, granted - but it does the same thing as Gallery and Photos - it pulls sub-folders from their main folders, leaving them adrift on their own as noted in my original posting. Not a solution - more of the same. Pity.

Quote Originally Posted by Bazza1 View Post
    Nice looking app, granted - but it does the same thing as Gallery and Photos - it pulls sub-folders from their main folders, leaving them adrift on their own as noted in my original posting. Not a solution - more of the same. Pity.
    With QuickPic, tap on the landscape icon right next to the Camera icon at the upper right. You'll get options on how to display the folders (Stack, Grid, List, Explorer). If you choose Explorer, it will display in more of a folder hierarchy.