Sprint Galaxy S4: Kitkat Update Screen Problem

crysta8161

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
Re: Galaxy S4 Kitkat Update Screen Problem

I don't have the 4.4 update available on my S4 but I'm having just one problem. I don't have to have my phone locked so not a problem there. I've had my phone less than a month and this black screen has happened 3 times now. I've read through this thread and I've noticed a few things. I don't ever have my GPS on, EVER. So that's not the cause of my problem. I have to take my battery out and put it back in order for my phone screen to turn on. The buttons all light up and it vibrates but the screen is just black. I got the black screen of death on my S3 where nothing would help so I got the S4 and I'm having this problem again...it's really frustrating and I don't know what else to do, Took it back to Best Buy and they said all they could o is send me a refurbished phone. I really don't want a refurbished phone seeing as this one is less than a month old. I hope someone can help me with this problem before I have to take my last resort and get the refurbished phone...

kelzamedic

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site

After factory reset, within 24 hours, same problem here. Daily power reset of phone seems to help, but as the day goes on, the power button gets more and more sluggish. Tried removing all but factory apps, with no improvement.

vbomb2000

Mar 29, 2014
Visit site
Update: same problem...very frustrating. I now have a habit of restarting my phone midway through the day, just so I dont experience the issues. Factory reset only fixes issue for couple days, then back to major lag after being on for 5 hours.... Hopefully google releases 4.4.3 soon and samsung rolls it out.

Posted via Android Central App

kelzamedic

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
I seem to have solved this issue on my phone. When I removed the app Advanced Task Killer, which had been set to "kill" unused and open programs when the screen was off, the issue ceased.

I've used ATK since purchasing my first Android device, and use it on all my devices. Must have issues with the most recent Kitkat update.

I'll keep an eye on it over the next few days, but after unsuccessfully trying everything on this forum, I think I finally have my S4 back!

Paf007

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
I have had the exact same issues. I went back and forth with Sprint and Samsung, each claiming that it was the other's issue. Finally, I took the phone to Geek Squad with my warranty and told them I wanted a new phone. They gave me a new (refurbished) S4. I've had it for about 3 and 1/2 weeks and the issues are starting all over again. Very frustrating and never happened until the latest update came through in February. I'm going to go back to Geek Squad and try again. If the third phone is not the charm, I will be done with Samsung forever. It is obviously an issue with them and their updates.

higherdecibel

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
Same issue here. I have tried everything short of a new phone and factory reset since it seems as though that is not working for anyone else.

I am curious about either rooting the phone and removing Samsung software or loading a custom ROM. I think rooting would be the way to go since I don't have to worry about setting the phone up from scratch.

higherdecibel

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site

I updated a number of apps I was putting off due to trying to troubleshoot this but last night I ended up installing them all. One of the updates was for WatchOn and it said that an issues was fixed regarding KitKat compatibility (published April 17th). There were also a couple more Samsung related ones such as the push service and whatever the beam app is.

So far my phone is much more responsive since the updates. It is working great. I would try at least updating the WatchOn app to the April 17th version if you haven't tried already. Will post back if things regress again.

higherdecibel

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site

Well... I have had the slow response of the lock screen happen a couple times but it is no where near as often or as bad.

higherdecibel

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site

Found another post on XDA about someone turning off their phone and taking out the SD card, powering on, re inserting. Something about the sym links being redone. Not sure why this would work especially since you would figure a hard reset to do the same thing but the phone is doing much better (been using for a few hours). Will report back if things get worse again.

higherdecibel

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site

Well I have tried pretty much everything including flashing different modems. I finally did a factory reset with no help. After that I did a complete ODIN flash updating and rewriting the entire ROM/firmware. It is working pretty well but I haven't loaded all my apps including exchange.

The only thing I have yet to try is killing exchange which seems to help some people. I'm going to put exchange back on and then remove the account if it starts happening again and switch to Nine email.

I also read that they changes a few things regarding power management and when the cpu scales down in the kitkat update. Just something else working against us.

Aymanovic

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site

I deleted my microsoft exchage account and reinstalled it and every thing is now fine.
Try it.
It should work without any restoring for the factory settings.
Enjoy.

higherdecibel

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site

I ended up flashing the entire kitkat rom through ODIN and have not had any problems thus far. I have read about EAS issues with kitkat so if it does start happening I will remove and readd. Thanks.

I deleted my microsoft exchage account and reinstalled it and every thing is now fine.
Try it.
It should work without any restoring for the factory settings.
Enjoy.

Ockert Brits

May 5, 2014
Visit site
I have also tried the factory reset, cache wipe, turning off personal message and clock.

Looks like the cause of problem is that some application(s) are looking for GPS or Internet connectivity, and then waiting too long for it, instead of just showing "waiting", and then does not turn on the screen.

I found this blank screen and hanging mostly happened when there is bad/no connectivity.

I had to turn off location related services to improve my situation.

Really bad experience with Samsung since the Kitkat update.

Last edited:

Aymanovic

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
But again i noticed that the clock in the widget is not being updated, the main clock is 8:34 am while the on in the widget is 8:20 am any help / suggestions ??

troshs

Trusted Member
Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
But again i noticed that the clock in the widget is not being updated, the main clock is 8:34 am while the on in the widget is 8:20 am any help / suggestions ??
Is Sync turned on in your notification panel? If its not, then the clock in the system will update but widgets bow down to the sync function, no?

Pawan Livewire

May 7, 2014
Visit site
Well for you guys who have been having this problem and is frustrated about it, I have the answer to your problem. I was pissed about the kitkat update too but now it works fine. There is practically no lagging on the lock screen now.

Here is what I did.

1) Go to 'Setttings' > 'More' > 'Application Manager'
2) Swipe leftwards till the 'ALL' menu.
3) There I disabled a series of useless apps that I never used anyway.
4) Here is the list that I disabled:

LINK: Postimage.org / KitKat Disabled Apps - Lag Fix

5) You have 11 images that shows which apps to disable.
6) But this is not it. The work is not over yet. Once you disable every single one of them, swipe leftwards again to the 'Disabled' tab.
7) Once you are there, click each app.
8) In every app there are four things you will need to do:
a) 'Force Stop' it.
b) If there are any updates, uninstall them.
c) 'Clear Data'
d) 'Clear Cache'
9) Once you are done with all the apps in the 'Disabled' Tab, well its nearly over.
10) Shut down your device. Give it a minute or two rest then power it up again.

This should solve your lagging problem. I really hope that I was able to help you guys.

It worked for me so thought of sharing with you too coz it was really pissing me off this lagging problem.

I tried to keep it simple and explain in 10 simple steps.

Cheers

LivwirPawan

dwighty868

May 8, 2014
Visit site

my samsung s4 just upgraded to kitkat 4.4 and it has been stuck on the boot up screen after upgrading...what can i do??? i need help!!!