- 2 Posts
OK Google no longer recognizes "Hey Google" as alternative to "OK Google."
Relatively new android user here. I purchased a Nexus 5 a month or so ago and I've been loving the hell out of it. I use the semi-always listening OK Google at the homescreen a lot, but the last week or so I've noticed I can no longer say "Hey Google" to activate it. I despise saying "OK Google because a) it sounds and feels awkward to say, b) doesn't seem to actually work nearly as consistently as "Hey Google" did, and c) for whatever reason I tend to trip over it (perhaps because I was so used to "Hey Google.").
So my question is this: Was "Hey Google" working just a flook? And is there a way to get back to a natural trigger instead of having to buy into Google's branding, which continues their tendancy for awkwardness.
- 02-24-2014, 04:35 PM #2
- 02-25-2014, 08:55 AM #4
- 1,768 Posts
Re: OK Google no longer recognizes "Hey Google" as alternative to "OK Google."
In reply to your question it may have worked before the update, but from what I've read it was intentional and there seems to be no way at this time to change it. I grabbed this quote from an article "There are several files with all kinds of voice models and configs related to hotwords, as you can see below, so at this point, it's up to Google to introduce the ability to train Search to respond to a custom hotword. For all we know, they may never actually do this, but we have a feeling the Android community may be up to the task. Wink, wink." Inferring that it may be possible through a custom rom if there is enough interest or requests for the change. Wink, wink.
- By feynman07 in forum Samsung Galaxy S4 Google EditionReplies: 1Last Post: 08-16-2014, 05:38 PM
- By robberrobbie in forum Samsung Galaxy S3Replies: 3Last Post: 02-26-2014, 01:44 AM
- By Gaylee Tega in forum Samsung Galaxy S3Replies: 1Last Post: 02-24-2014, 04:33 PM
- By PiggyMiddle in forum Moto X (2013)Replies: 1Last Post: 02-24-2014, 03:47 PM
- By ericlc2 in forum T-MobileReplies: 1Last Post: 02-24-2014, 02:03 PM