Disapointed with KitKat

sparker781

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
Hey all

ATT S4 user here. Got the update and was happy to receive it, Now that I have it I don't see what the big hoopla was all about. I did notice that since the update I am constantly being asked to sign into Picasa pictures or something which I keep declining and then it goes away...Anyone know about this and how to stop it if you can?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Re: Disapointed with Kit Kat

Picasa and Gallery app are finally being integrated in the "Photos" app now. They are finally making it all in one place now.

snocone

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
Re: Disapointed with Kit Kat

Same issue with my KK htc one..

i just went ahead and signed in just to stop the notifications.

bradley129

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
Hey off topic but can you post some screenshots of kitkat? I want to know if its worth switching from liquid smooth kitkat

Sent From My Smoking Hot Galaxy SIII

DS1331

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Completely agree I liked 4.2.2 jelly bean better on my Moto X. Could careless about kitkat

Sent from my XT1058 using AC Forums mobile app

Larzukzek

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
You know, I'm baffled. I love Android, Always will as frustrating as it can be, It'll likely be all I ever use.

Way back in the day, When Android first came to and up till about ICS I just bought entry to mid level phones that came with Froyo, GB, HC, ICS, etc and never got updated, So I really had nothing to judge android on in terms of what they break, remove, etc with subsequent updates.

Right now I'm happy with my S3 mostly....The kink here is when they updated the phone to 4.3 from the 4.1 series. Now there is a slight lag within the OS and it's annoying. Then not long ago I got a Google services update and now my battery is not what it used to be.

Now I read up on KitKat and it's deja-vu all over again with folks talking about what bugs it introduces (for many, not all).

I can only imagine how complex coding, programming, etc can be and sometimes you get bugs..but IMO, I think they have been putting out pisspoor updates. Then you gotta wonder if they will update the update that introduced bugs, problems, etc.

In a few weeks I think I'll be pulling the trigger on rooting and custom ROMs considering this forum has some of the nicest, smartest, and helpful developers I've ever seen.

bradley129

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
You know, I'm baffled. I love Android, Always will as frustrating as it can be, It'll likely be all I ever use.

Way back in the day, When Android first came to and up till about ICS I just bought entry to mid level phones that came with Froyo, GB, HC, ICS, etc and never got updated, So I really had nothing to judge android on in terms of what they break, remove, etc with subsequent updates.

Right now I'm happy with my S3 mostly....The kink here is when they updated the phone to 4.3 from the 4.1 series. Now there is a slight lag within the OS and it's annoying. Then not long ago I got a Google services update and now my battery is not what it used to be.

Now I read up on KitKat and it's deja-vu all over again with folks talking about what bugs it introduces (for many, not all).

I can only imagine how complex coding, programming, etc can be and sometimes you get bugs..but IMO, I think they have been putting out pisspoor updates. Then you gotta wonder if they will update the update that introduced bugs, problems, etc.

In a few weeks I think I'll be pulling the trigger on rooting and custom ROMs considering this forum has some of the nicest, smartest, and helpful developers I've ever seen.

Let me go ahead and tell you stock kitkat is a lot more fast and stable than touchwiz will ever be.

Larzukzek

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
That's half the problem. Every time I turn around there's a new thread or person complaining with KitKat..My battery life is total garbage, My gmail don't work, My wifi don't work, etc, The list goes on. Was the same way with the update from 4.1 to 4.3 with the S3...That's what I was mostly talking about..If my only problem after the KK update is my continued minute lag with TW..I'll be stoked. Though I doubt that will be the case.

Any rate, I guess all this bad is good, Considering it's the one driving factor in me pulling the trigger on rooting and using custom roms.

losergeek

May 31, 2013
Visit site
My volume controls have gone completely screwy since updating. When listening to media via either the chrome browser or the native browser, if I try to use either the hard volume buttons or the software controls, sometimes it doesn't work at all, sometimes it changes the notification or ringer volumes and worst of all, sometimes it cause the phone to bypass the headphones and start playing music out loud on the speakers....something that's a huge problem when I'm using it at work.

On top of that, I can no longer share photos directly from my gallery to facebook/twitter/messages/email/etc - when I hit the share button it just flashes quickly and the menu disappears.

I'm about to go now and try to figure out how/if I can roll back to Jellybean on my phone.

sparker781

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I hear ya. Kind of experiencing the same thing on mine. Someone the apps dont respond either. I've been trying to find a way to synch my music ala ipod and itunes but sadly I can't seem to find anything to do it. I know this isn't an issue with Kit Kat but the volume thing has been happening to me as well. At one point I tried to root my phone to get the pure google experience but after reading tips on how to do it I found it wasn't meant for my phone so now when I boot my phone it lists "custom" with a lock that shows unlocked. I can't seem to fix that issue.

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
You can sync Samsung phones with Kies. That is not an issue. I did hear Kit Kat breaks SD card support, though...

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk

Sicily1918

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
The problem seems more related to the carrier and/or manufacturer... when I was on my S2 (T989), GB was smooth, ICS was not bad, and JB 4.1 was amazingly laggy, but all of that was due to carrier and OEM bloat/crap -- when I went to CM10.1 (JB 4.2.2) on the same phone, everything was buttery-smooth, battery life was better, and there were far fewer crashes.

It's one of the reasons I went the Nexus route -- the updates are plain Android with no crap; I've gone from 4.1 to 4.2 to 4.3 to 4.4.2 (on either N4 or N7 (2012)) and it was always smooth sailing. I know it's not always super-smooth, but I'd hazard that updating a Nexus carries with it the same failure rate as iOS (relatively low).

Blobert

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
Kitkat on Note 3 (unlocked international) stinks.

1) S Cover sometimes locks screen on, not reproducible; happens often after low battery notification.
2) Gallery is unstable and very slow; sometimes sharing does not work.
3) Battery drain has noticeably increased.
4) Warm, sometimes hot.
5) Camera shutter release slower, crashes.

This is what I've noted to date. Anyone else with similar issues?

rusty502

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Kitkat on Note 3 (unlocked international) stinks.

1) S Cover sometimes locks screen on, not reproducible; happens often after low battery notification.
2) Gallery is unstable and very slow; sometimes sharing does not work.
3) Battery drain has noticeably increased.
4) Warm, sometimes hot.
5) Camera shutter release slower, crashes.

This is what I've noted to date. Anyone else with similar issues?

Might try clearing the cache or a factory reset, I've had kitkat since release day on Sprint, everything is a little faster than it was on JB, battery life unchanged, camera is faster, I have the s view case, but haven't used it since the update so can't say, only problem I've had is ext SD card support with some apps.

Larzukzek

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
I did hear Kit Kat breaks SD card support, though...

Can you or anyone else elaborate on this please? Like you can no longer move Apps to SD? Or SD storage all together does not work? I'm somewhat of an audiophile and use my phone as a music player with around 30 some odd GB's of music, So having SD storage is critical.

I read an article that talked about the changes although I couldn't truly understand the changes through the tech talk and how it affects the end user.

Last edited:

bradley129

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
Can you or anyone else elaborate on this please? Like you can no longer move Apps to SD? Or SD storage all together does not work? I'm somewhat of an audiophile and use my phone as a music player with around 30 some odd GB's of music, So having SD storage is critical.

I read an article that talked about the changes although I couldn't truly understand the changes through the tech talk and how it affects the end user.

Sd cards work fine i have no idea what that user is talking about...

sparker781

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
For one reason or another the Doubletwist app says there's an error with my SD Card and won't play my music. I have toyed around with Rooting and want to get the pure Google experience and have looked for a ROM that will give me that experience.....Or I could buy the next Nexus

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

rz22g

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Yes I have read the writing to SD card on some phones no longer works due to a permission change. Not sure if application updates will reverse that or not. If the application simply reads from the card it should not be a problem.

Posted via Android Central App

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc