Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default App that starts VPN when connected to open wifi

Is there an app that I can set to automatically start my VPN app when I connect to unsecured WiFi?

Global Posts
    4,373 Global Posts
    ROM
    CandyKat 4.4.4

Default Re: App that starts VPN when connected to open wifi

Quote Originally Posted by frankretterer View Post
    Is there an app that I can set to automatically start my VPN app when I connect to unsecured WiFi?
    Not that I am aware of. You'll have to connect to the wifi and then start the VPN app manually.
    "The glow of one warm thought is to me worth more than money." - Thomas Jefferson

My One X has served its time...now it's the Note 4's turn

Global Posts
    5 Global Posts

I had the same question today. I found avast! SecureLine has this exact feature. The software has a 7 day free trial. After that, in-app purchase cost is either $2.59/mo or $19.99/yr. The fine print says the license is valid on all devices registered with your Google account. I've only had it running for a couple of hours but it seems to work just fine.

Global Posts
    70 Global Posts

Maybe Tasker? Based on the SSID connected to.

Posted via Android Central App

The HTC M8 factory installed VPN program "should" do this .. if you check the setting under "settings" "more" "VPN" Under menu "Always on VPN".BUT sadly it doesn't. I have been in contact with HTC an issues has been sent to upper level/escalations support for testing which told me yes it should work and they are looking in to it...but...they do not have a VPN network set up an will asap to test any try to figure out why it doesn't... Sadly that has been over a month ago.