Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Reapus's Avatar

    Posts
    30 Posts
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts

    Default 4.4.2 update very unstable. Help?

    Hey, everyone. I have a Sprint Samsung Galaxy S4 that isn't rooted. I updated my phone to version 4.4.2 a few days ago and have been noticing a lot of problems with it. I'll start listing a few here so someone can help me out. Note that all of these problems were never a thing before this update.

    1. When my phone is asleep, sometimes trying to wake it up will not work. The screen will stay off and I'll have to force it to shut down and turn it back on.

    2. My battery is dying quickly. Just a moment ago I went from 100% battery to about 58% battery within an hour and I wasn't doing anything but watching a YouTube video or browsing Facebook. At one point the battery dropped from 80% to 58% instantly. I had nothing open, just YouTube and Facebook. I didn't have anything strenuous running in the background - I keep tabs on stuff like that as I am anal about having optimum performance on my phone. Not that it means anything but my RAM usually sticks around 600. Just giving you an idea of how much I keep things in order.

    3. I use the AVG AntiVirus application for its app password feature to keep people out of certain apps unless they enter the correct password, however, now it's an issue when entering a password. When I press on the enter password area, my keyboard will pop up but the app will restart, and I'd have to enter it again. Sometimes it'll restart for the second time before I can enter the app.

    4. When watching YouTube videos for long periods of time, I've noticed quite a bit of lag. If I'm watching a video in landscape mode and try to turn my phone upright to view notifications, the phone will not change from landscape mode for awhile. It'll stay frozen for several seconds. If I see it isn't changing, I'll just turn my phone back to landscape mode and eventually the phone will change upright while I'm in landscape mode and then later change back to landscape mode since I had been in landscape mode. It's a very long delay that will cause someone to keep trying to change the video from portrait to landscape and vice versa with a very long delay which will eventually cause your screen to catch up with whatever mode you tried to have it in prior. This causes frustration.

    5. When turning my phone on, it'll sometimes take awhile before my phone starts getting a signal. Even then I have to sometimes manually turn my wi-fi on.

    Any suggestions on what I should do without rooting or reformatting my phone? Because I don't want to go through the hassle of rooting and I don't want to lose my data. Thanks in advance.
  2. #2  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    18,672 Posts
    Global Posts
    19,048 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

    Default Re: 4.4.2 update very unstable. Help?

    Quote Originally Posted by Reapus View Post
    Hey, everyone. I have a Sprint Samsung Galaxy S4 that isn't rooted. I updated my phone to version 4.4.2 a few days ago and have been noticing a lot of problems with it. I'll start listing a few here so someone can help me out. Note that all of these problems were never a thing before this update.

    1. When my phone is asleep, sometimes trying to wake it up will not work. The screen will stay off and I'll have to force it to shut down and turn it back on.

    2. My battery is dying quickly. Just a moment ago I went from 100% battery to about 58% battery within an hour and I wasn't doing anything but watching a YouTube video or browsing Facebook. At one point the battery dropped from 80% to 58% instantly. I had nothing open, just YouTube and Facebook. I didn't have anything strenuous running in the background - I keep tabs on stuff like that as I am anal about having optimum performance on my phone. Not that it means anything but my RAM usually sticks around 600. Just giving you an idea of how much I keep things in order.

    3. I use the AVG AntiVirus application for its app password feature to keep people out of certain apps unless they enter the correct password, however, now it's an issue when entering a password. When I press on the enter password area, my keyboard will pop up but the app will restart, and I'd have to enter it again. Sometimes it'll restart for the second time before I can enter the app.

    4. When watching YouTube videos for long periods of time, I've noticed quite a bit of lag. If I'm watching a video in landscape mode and try to turn my phone upright to view notifications, the phone will not change from landscape mode for awhile. It'll stay frozen for several seconds. If I see it isn't changing, I'll just turn my phone back to landscape mode and eventually the phone will change upright while I'm in landscape mode and then later change back to landscape mode since I had been in landscape mode. It's a very long delay that will cause someone to keep trying to change the video from portrait to landscape and vice versa with a very long delay which will eventually cause your screen to catch up with whatever mode you tried to have it in prior. This causes frustration.

    5. When turning my phone on, it'll sometimes take awhile before my phone starts getting a signal. Even then I have to sometimes manually turn my wi-fi on.

    Any suggestions on what I should do without rooting or reformatting my phone? Because I don't want to go through the hassle of rooting and I don't want to lose my data. Thanks in advance.
    Try rebooting into recovery and clearing cache: [Guide] Rebooting into Recovery Mode for the Galaxy S2, S3, and Tab2.

    Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  
    Reapus's Avatar

    Posts
    30 Posts
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts

    Default Re: 4.4.2 update very unstable. Help?

    I did it, thanks. Hopefully this fixes some problems. It seemed to fix an issue I had with a widget and my signal worked as soon as I started the phone up. Don't want to jinx it because I heard it didn't work for others.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  
    Reapus's Avatar

    Posts
    30 Posts
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts

    Default Re: 4.4.2 update very unstable. Help?

    Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    Try rebooting into recovery and clearing cache: [Guide] Rebooting into Recovery Mode for the Galaxy S2, S3, and Tab2.
    My phone is now unusable. I had it charging and went to grab it and use it but I keep getting the message "Unfortunately, proccess.acore has stopped working" something like that. When I press ok, it immediately does it again in a never ending loop. I can't do anything on my phone. I've had a lot of problems with androids so far, an iPhone is looking pretty good right now. I'm going to have to reformat the phone now. =/ Thanks for your help though.
    Thanked by:
    tonyr6 
  5. #5  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    18,672 Posts
    Global Posts
    19,048 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

    Default Re: 4.4.2 update very unstable. Help?

    Quote Originally Posted by Reapus View Post
    My phone is now unusable. I had it charging and went to grab it and use it but I keep getting the message "Unfortunately, proccess.acore has stopped working" something like that. When I press ok, it immediately does it again in a never ending loop. I can't do anything on my phone. I've had a lot of problems with androids so far, an iPhone is looking pretty good right now. I'm going to have to reformat the phone now. =/ Thanks for your help though.
    Sorry about all the bad luck. Can't think of anything else to suggest.

    Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
  6. #6  
    n8ter#AC's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    963 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,402 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (4.3)

    Default Re: 4.4.2 update very unstable. Help?

    Quote Originally Posted by Reapus View Post
    My phone is now unusable. I had it charging and went to grab it and use it but I keep getting the message "Unfortunately, proccess.acore has stopped working" something like that. When I press ok, it immediately does it again in a never ending loop. I can't do anything on my phone. I've had a lot of problems with androids so far, an iPhone is looking pretty good right now. I'm going to have to reformat the phone now. =/ Thanks for your help though.
    Factory reset the phone. That's an obvious one and I always recommend people do this following any major FW update. Yes it sucks, but would you rather a normal phone and just set it up again or an usable one with preserved game saves or whatever?

    Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk
  7. #7  

    Default Re: 4.4.2 update very unstable. Help?

    I agree. Factory reset is the way to go

    dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro
  8. #8  
    Huff's Avatar

    Posts
    22 Posts
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts

    Default Re: 4.4.2 update very unstable. Help?

    I also have a Sprint S4 updated to 4.4.2. No problems at all, great battery life. When I first got the S4 I did go through a ton of settings disabling lots of things I have no use for. I charge the phone overnight and unplug at 6am. Light use, maybe 30 minutes calls, play a few games off and on and by 9pm its usually around 70-80% left. Only issue I had with update was many apps disappeared from home screens. Had to reorganize but fine since.

Similar Threads

  1. HTC One: need help with 2 things
    By Carl_Barr in forum HTC One
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-31-2014, 05:52 PM
  2. Sprint Galaxy S3: Challenging question (please help)
    By coop616 in forum Sprint Galaxy S3 Rooting, ROMs, and Hacks
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-08-2014, 03:31 PM
  3. How do you add widgets after 4.3 update?
    By pcarr4 in forum Sony Xperia Tablet Z
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-04-2014, 02:13 AM
  4. Factory reset before or after or both an update?
    By Maged Samuel in forum Android 4.4 KitKat
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-03-2014, 04:51 PM
  5. Mobogenie updates vs Play Store
    By Maged Samuel in forum General News & Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-03-2014, 01:40 PM

Posting Permissions