What is causing a notification every 5 minutes after updating to KitKat ?

whodunit

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Ever since updating to Kitkat, my phone either beeps, or if I put notifications on silent, it vibrates, every 5 minutes. It's very annoying and I can't find the cause. I now have to have my vibrations turned off too so I don't know when I'm getting a text any more. Can anyone help? I did have a problem during the update and had to take my phone to the Sprint store and they did a hard reset. I'm using a galaxy S4 on Sprint. Thank you!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using AC Forums mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Re: What is causing a notification every 5 minutes after updating to kitkat?

Have you tried rebooting?

Sent from my LG-G2 running CMB Roms 4.4.2

whodunit

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site

Yes, and I've cleared the memory and shut down all running apps and it still goes off every 5 minutes.

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site

It might be your email app. Some S4 owners have had beeping every few minutes when email is syncing. You can check in email settings to see if sound is enabled.

Sent from my LG-G2 running CMB Roms 4.4.2

whodunit

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site

I'll check on that. I hope you're right, that would be an easy fix. Thank you.

whodunit

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site

Doesn't seem to be the email app. I'm using kaiten mail, by the way. I may have to start deleting apps until it stops. Then I'll know who the culprit is.

Power_Mom

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site

Doesn't seem to be the email app. I'm using kaiten mail, by the way. I may have to start deleting apps until it stops. Then I'll know who the culprit is.

I was wondering if you figured it out because my phone is doing the same thing. I have done all of the troubleshooting, and still haven't figured it out. So frustrating.

whodunit

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I believe I have. After the update to kitkat, there is a new option in settings. It's a notifications reminder and I had mine set to remind me every 5 minutes. It was reminding me even tho I had no notifications pending because, I think, it's because I use an app called notification toggle, so I always had something in my notification area. I'm not sure where this new setting is but I'll try to find it and post the directions.

whodunit

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Ok, try this: go to settings, device, accessibility, vision, and then notification reminder. Make sure it's turned off. Please let me know if this works. Hope so! It fixed my problem. :-D

bombarde

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site

I have exactly same problem with Verizon. It started just today (June 14, 2014). I have checked my "settings" on every app and find nothing that would cause this to happen.

bombarde

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
Thank you, Whodunit: You solved the riddle! I don't remember ever changing this setting, and I don't understand why it would be under "vision." But . . . thanks a lot. Jim

dfb8085

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
I guess my LG G3 is a little different. I am running kitkat but I saw nothing under settings for device so I poked around and found accessibility then vision but nothing for notification reminder. I went under general and to appd and then all apps and brought the email app and I saw a check box for notifications there and unchecked it. Not sure what kind of notifications but I hope its not regular email. We shall see. Thanks for putting us on track

Gelst

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
This happened to me last night. My phone was on silent and I was still getting a notification vibrate/sound. It was driving me crazy last night trying to figure out what the hell was going on. Did a Google search this morning and found this post. Thanks for help it worked for me and will restore my sanity!

setting/accessibility/notification reminder -Samsung Note 4

mabehr

Feb 3, 2015
Visit site
Thank you VERY much for this fix. Would never have guessed that's where mine was coming from. Your help is much appreciated. Thanks again.

- Michael