Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Battery issues, possibly since update?

I'm not 100% sure if this is related to the software update I received but ever since yesterday I noticed my battery was draining dramatically, only lasting about 13 hours. I checked my battery usage and saw "com.sec.android.app.sbrowser:sandboxed_process4" was using over half my battery as well as as Lookout using ~40%.

Contacted ATT support and they had me remove updates for Lookout and reinstall, that seemed to solve the issue for Lookout, however the above process was still consuming 30-50% of my battery life. They straight out told me they had no idea what it was and suggested I Factory Reset, which I reluctantly did.

So after turning my phone back on and updating the default apps, I have the same "com.sec.android.app.sbrowser:sandboxed_process0" (only it was process0 instead of process4) eating up 30-40% of my battery still, thought maybe because of all the updates for the default apps.

So then they have me contact Samsung and the rep tells me to try another battery and/or charger, though not sure how those effect software but I told them I don't have any spares laying around.

Its now been an hour or so after talking to both ATT and Samsung and the "com.sec.android.app.sbrowser:sandboxed_process0" is still under my battery usage, though now it seems to be hovering in the teens (14-17%). Asked a friend of mine if they had anything similar in their Usage/Battery Manager and they told me no, so I'm assuming its not normal. l'm not too convinced this issue is resolved, but does anyone have any idea what this is and how to fix it? .

Some side notes about the phone and what I've done so far:

Its brand new
    Issue just sprung up either yesterday or today, only noticed it near dead this evening which isn't normal
    Currently only have default apps installed atm
    Did battery pull prior to the Factory reset

Battery issues, possibly since update?-screenshot_2014-03-12-00-12-38.jpg

Battery issues, possibly since update?-screenshot_2014-03-12-00-12-45.png

Global Posts
    738 Global Posts

Default Re: Battery issues, possibly since update?

I've read reports elsewhere that there's a issue (on Nexus 5, as reported) that there's an issue within the OS of it not fully closing down the camera if that's been accessed by an app. The camera isn't active, but the background software is. Accordingly, it's not showing up as an active app, so you can't close it down and its contributing to a significant drain on the battery. Google is apparently aware and is 'working on a fix'.
    One wonders if this isn't embedded deeply into Android and might not be an issue for more than just the Nexus 5 - I've certainly heard of complaints about battery life on newer phones running the more recent OS.