Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Unhappy Intermittent Hangouts Keyboard Problem

I'm having an issue with opening hangouts and the keyboard not inputting anything into the message field. The keyboards responds to keys pressed but nothing shows up.

I have to close Hangouts from Recent Apps and reopen it to get the keyboard to work. Happens quite often but not everytime.

Problem is on a Nexus 5 with 4.4.2. This is my second Nexus 5 so I'm thinking it's a bug in the software but haven't found anyone else with the issue.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Default Re: Intermittent Hangouts Keyboard Problem

Quote Originally Posted by doogeem3 View Post
    I'm having an issue with opening hangouts and the keyboard not inputting anything into the message field. The keyboards responds to keys pressed but nothing shows up.

I have to close Hangouts from Recent Apps and reopen it to get the keyboard to work. Happens quite often but not everytime.

Problem is on a Nexus 5 with 4.4.2. This is my second Nexus 5 so I'm thinking it's a bug in the software but haven't found anyone else with the issue.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    Haven't had issues, but I'm not using a N5. Have you tried clearing the app's cache?

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan

Current Devices:
    Galaxy Note 4
    rMBP 13"
    iPad 2
    Thanked by:

ROM
    Decks Reloaded,RebelROM

TOSHIBA Thrive � Pio's Team Baked BlackBean 4.1.2 ROM
    Samsung GalaxyTab 3 (7 in) � Deleterious ROM
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (i317) unlocked � Ditto Note 4 (4.4.4) ROM
    Samsung Galaxy S3 � Kitkat 4.4.4 ROM

4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Definitely unrelated. The service works perfectly fine.
    Thanked by:

You're not crazy OP I have the same issue. Let me know if you figure it out. In my case I have to kill hangouts in the app into before it works.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by wwelles View Post
    You're not crazy OP I have the same issue. Let me know if you figure it out. In my case I have to kill hangouts in the app into before it works.
    Will do. It's driving me nuts!

Quote Originally Posted by doogeem3 View Post
    Will do. It's driving me nuts!
    Same here, have the problem sometimes on the Note 3. Not a big deal since it barely ever happens but when it does its just as you described it.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

I see this is older, but I have this issue to. Nexus 5 rooted.

I didn't have this issue, then I did a factory wipe and clean install (no restoration of apps) to fix another issue (music controls on lockscreen being intermittent) and this appeared.

I would guess it seems to be about every 5 texts or so. I have to swipe it from the recent apps to get it to work again. If anyone found a fix for this please let know.

Thanks.

Just posting my solution for future searchers as I never found a solution anywhere else.

I just cleared my hangouts data in the Settings--> Apps--> Hangouts section. I haven't had this issue since.

Be aware this will clear all of your SMS logs. I didn't bother backing my SMS up. If you really wan to keep your SMS history then use another app to back it up first, but if you restore the SMS data, it could just re-instate the problem.

Good Luck.