Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default How do you disable automatic app updates?

I frequently get unsolicited notifications that one or more apps have been updated. Is there a way to disable automatic app updates? I like to check for myself to see if I really want a specific app update. Examples: some apps want to enable new permissions that I don't necessarily want; some irreversibly change or even do away with the app - e.g., Currents.

Phone is a new Nexus 5. (Great phone, by the way)

Global Posts
    4,532 Global Posts
    ROM
    I'M RUNNING STOCK BABY!

Default Re: How do you disable automatic app updates?

Quote Originally Posted by StayingAlert View Post
    I frequently get unsolicited notifications that one or more apps have been updated. Is there a way to disable automatic app updates? I like to check for myself to see if I really want a specific app update. Examples: some apps want to enable new permissions that I don't necessarily want; some irreversibly change or even do away with the app - e.g., Currents.

If you go to the play store, you can disable it in the settings.

There is a section that says Auto-update apps and you just set it to "Do not auto-update apps."

"In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." - Abraham Lincoln
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thanks, that worked!

Although I have an S4, it appears this method should be the same. However, there is no settings. I use the phone to go google play store using the play app. I click on the three bars and click my apps. I can see all the apps. However, there are no three squares or anything else to turn of auto updates.

Today my phone was going crazy trying to update apps. I can't turn off the auto updates. It appears those settings are now missing. Very frustrating.

Okay fixed. The settings is under the menu button on the phone when Google Play is open. I think it used to be the three squares but changed with update. Very confusing.

Thanks for that info. I was confused when I could not find a "settings" location.

Quote Originally Posted by StayingAlert View Post

I know this is several months old, but just so you know, an app will not auto update if it requires new permissions, it will wait for your approval. You will get a seperate notification that apps x, y and z need your approval to update. They will only auto update if all the permissions remain the same

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Moore3 View Post
    Thanks for that info. I was confused when I could not find a "settings" location.
    Ya, if your phone has a hardware menu button, the 3 dot menu doesn't show in Google apps and is instead triggered by the hardware button.

Wink Re: How do you disable automatic app updates?

Thank you worked my galaxy s5!