Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Reverse phone lookup on 4.4.2 not working; S4?

I'm not sure if I should put this in the ATT forum, the S4 forum, here, or wherever else. If it needs to be moved, feel free to do so. Here's my issue:

I have an unrooted S4 on ATT. I bought it 4.2.2, but I was given the 4.4.2 upgrade a few weeks ago. It's my understanding that KitKat devices will have a reverse phone lookup automatically built into the phone, displaying the name of any business that has that number listed on Google Places/Local.

It doesn't seem to work on my phone. Is this feature for KitKat devices moving forward where 4.4 is native to the phone, or are any devices on that version able to use that feature?

I can't seem to enable or or get it to work...I did some shopping yesterday and had customer services at a few stores call my phone just to see if it worked, but alas it did not. Someone in another forum said I need to do a factory reset because "old data and new data do not mix" but I have serious trepidations about doing the factory reset because I am skeptical it would change anything. The update changed enough on my phone, I find it hard to believe that some features would work, and others wouldn't.

Someone else in the aforementioned thread said they have the Google edition and enabled "Caller ID by Google". However, Under Call Settings>Additional Settings>CallerID> there are 3 options, each with a radio button: Network Default, Hide Number, Show Number. Currently Network Default is enabled, but no mention of Google.

What am I doing wrong, or what can I do to resolve this? Thanks

Default Re: Reverse phone lookup on 4.4.2 not working; S4?

Are you in the dialer settings or phone settings? To find mine, I went to Dialer>Settings>Caller ID by Google.

*I am using Nexus 5*

Quote Originally Posted by PutridShot View Post
    Are you in the dialer settings or phone settings? To find mine, I went to Dialer>Settings>Caller ID by Google.

*I am using Nexus 5*
    The bolded part is the key. The Feature the OP is looking for is part of the Google Now Launcher/dialer included on the Nexus 5 (if not the 4 also). That feature can't be added to other devices without root and replacement of the dialer app.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

On the S4 under this current configuration under the dial pad, the settings is just a shortcut to the call settings. I see no dialer settings at all.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Welp, this resolves it. It needs to be a Nexus phone, or you can install it with a custom ROM. I don't care enough to root my phone just for that.

But here's confirmation:

Google's Dialer With Built-in Search Is Exclusive To Nexus And GPE Devices, But You Can Install It Manually On Other KitKat ROMs [Download]

How to get the Google Dialer on non-Nexus phones | Pocketnow

"If you have a Google Play edition HTC One, Galaxy S 4, or Z Ultra, the Google Dialer is missing. It’s also missing on very near stock Android smartphones, such as the Moto X. The dialer looks like the Google Dialer. But as indicated by the light text in the search bar, there is no business lookup integrated in the dialer.

So for the time being, the only official way to get your hands on the Google Dialer is to, well, carry a Nexus 4 or Nexus 5."