Can you still move apps to SD card in KitKat?

ahawkua

Banned
Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Just wondering if you could still move apps to the SD card in android kit Kat

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited by a moderator:

Jab73180

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
Re: can you still move apps to SD card in kit Kat?

I think that's a big negative ghost rider. Some with more knowledge will chime in I'm sure.

-Jason

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site

I thought that ability was removed in JellyBean or ICS?

careplus

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site

After you install foldermount from google market you will have normal SD card.

Care

Helo Darqness

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site

My 4.2.2 was updated to 4.4.2 and I can still move some apps to the SD card, yes. Many in fact. However, you can disable apps as well. Most of the bloatware is disabled and is where the 'hidden' apps would be.

OTACORB

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site

It is recommended that you move all apps moved to your SD card back to the internal storage. Then once you get your upgrade to kitkat completed, you can move those back to the SD card that support it. I think there is a lot of misinformation about the SD card now under kitkat. Yes there was some changes. However, I was able to move most of the same apps back to the SD card, all my photos, videos and music that was on the SD card all music programs are able to access with no issues. So, I am not sure what all the fuss is about. Thus far it certainly hasn't impacted me.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

I think it's mainly Samsung that still gives you the ability of moving apps partially to the SD card. It's not possible on Nexus devices (and most other phones sporting KitKat).

vienna2000

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site

I have 40 GB worth of photos and videos on my SD card. Downloaded them from my PC to the card - into several folders. Using QuickPic to view them at the moment. My question - will they still be there after the 4.4 update and will I still be able to the cached photos?

Also have UK and European maps from Navfree on the SD card. What would happen to these?

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Welcome to Android Central! Although the SD card technically shouldn't be affected during a system update, I have read about experiences here where it was in fact wiped. So if and when you update your system, unmount and remove the SD card first.

You should still be able to view those photos and videos on your SD card on your phone after the update.

vienna2000

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site

thank you very much for the info.

Read that some folks do a factory reset before and after the update. Is this necessary and what are the benefits?

Spencerdl

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site

Welcome to Android Central! Although the SD card technically shouldn't be affected during a system update, I have read about experiences here where it was in fact wiped. So if and when you update your system, unmount and remove the SD card first.

You should still be able to view those photos and videos on your SD card on your phone after the update.

This is EXACTLY what I do when installing an update, I've been removing the SD card before I update since the Blackberry 8330 days and never had a problem.

chocolateyum

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
if I rooted my phone, would everything work again or have the apps themselves been updated to reflect this change too? Trying to get bittorrent sync working fo my sd card photos. Can't unless my camera roll is in a certain folder.

Is there a way to set my camera roll to dump in to my bittorrent sync special folder? I have a bad feeling that will mess up my other folder apps though and wouldn't want that to happen.

francomur99

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site

You need a root.....now there are dozens of applications that can do the same work my friend.... to easy.... what I need is an application for no rooted phone...Thats the problem....bloody Google!! Why I cannot send my files from my internal memory to my sd card...this is againts the law ...stupid Google android 's team.. they are killed android forever, I hope Firefox and Amazon phones will start to get bigger and crash Google once and for all.
Anyway I don't want to root my phone... first I wiil loose SkyGo on my device, then other applications really important for me will become useless if I root the phone....No thanks.....root is not for me.

Last edited:

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site

Do tell, under what law is it illegal to do what Google has done?

francomur99, What exactly are you trying to accomplish? You don't say for what purpose this is "broken". Or are you just another person coming in here and spouting off how the SD card access is "broken" without realizing that for MOST purposes it actually remains UNCHANGED? Removing the ability to move apps to the SD card is not something that's new. How many apps actually NEED to be able to write to anyplace they please on the SD card rather than a folder specifically for that app?

osvanberg

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site

Do tell, under what law is it illegal to do what Google has done?

francomur99, What exactly are you trying to accomplish? You don't say for what purpose this is "broken". Or are you just another person coming in here and spouting off how the SD card access is "broken" without realizing that for MOST purposes it actually remains UNCHANGED? Removing the ability to move apps to the SD card is not something that's new. How many apps actually NEED to be able to write to anyplace they please on the SD card rather than a folder specifically for that app?
Doesn't seem that you fully grasp the scope of this issue that Google have introduced. It's a HUGE problem for alot of users out there, including myself.

Skickat från min GT-I9195 via Tapatalk

OliverNetwork

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site

well i would try to help u..

Only devices of Samsung Gives you app2sd Option. that started to be return in 4.3 os of samsung why?
1.cuz they dont give a f** about google =)
2. cuz they know they the only one!! that means (they get more ppls to buy there phones cuz of that, cuz outer phone companys dosnt want to add it) that's why i did upgraded from Sony Xperia x10a to Galaxy S5 3G. and refused to take phone is not of samsung
4. samsung wouldnt remove this option even on Kitkat that is Problematic with SD , they still keept it.
and they wouldnt remove it.. the only way you can remove files from Internal to sd. (photos, videos, apks,etc,,)
IT'S ONLY WITH THE BULLTIN FILE MANGER IF NOT U WOULD NEED ROOT OR FIND A GOOD FILE MANAGER
5.if they add it and keept it , they wouldnt remove it. if they do. alot of there costumers would sue them. cuz they had it. and now not?? so be happy if your'e a samsung users and say to your'e friends
'HAHA.HA.HA. YOU DONT GOT APP2SD"
and they will be "why i need that?!?" u say "i got more phone memory then u cuz of that"

i highly recommend buy only samsung cuz of that