Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default camera lag on 4.4.2

i have some ridiculous lag on my samsung S4 (GT-I9505, running 4.4.2). When i boot into the camera the screen changes to showing what the camera sees, but I can't take a picture or focus the camera for around a minute.

I'm wondering if this is the same problem when other people are talking about lag with 4.4.2 (and therefore I should do a factory reset) or is this something else? Other apps don't seem to be showing noticeable lag. If i do perform a factory reset is that pointless if i use an app to backup my data and restore it? as in, is the factory reset only effective if i redownload all my apps, redo all my setting etc etc? If i can backup without making a factory reset pointless, is there a particular backup app that is better than any of the others?

Other possibly relevant info is
    - my device is rooted
    - i use folder mount to store stuff on my sd card (but the only folders i can image could potentially be related to this issue are cloudagent, dcim, documentsync and pictures)
    - I'm running a stock rom (a german one) - build number KOT49H.I9505XXUFNB8

Thanks for any help/advice

Default Re: camera lag on 4.4.2

How is it for texting? Cause my swpe feature is useless cause of the lag sometimes. I get going to fast and it forgets words, even when I individually type

Posted via Android Central App
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn Blackmer View Post
    How is it for texting? Cause my swpe feature is useless cause of the lag sometimes. I get going to fast and it forgets words, even when I individually type
    Texting seems OK - I use swype and it seems to be keeping up fine. But does the lag vary on different installs?

ROM
    Decks Reloaded,RebelROM

Clear cache/data in the camera app, reboot.

If that does not work, goto recovery and clear cache and dalvik cache only (not data), then reboot.
    TOSHIBA Thrive Pio's Team Baked BlackBean 4.1.2 ROM
    Samsung Galaxy Note 1 (i717) CM11 4.4.2 kitkat (jamied)
    Samsung GalaxyTab 3 (7 in) Deleterious ROM
    HTC EVO 4G Deck's Reloaded ROM
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (i317) unlocked Ditto Note 3.1.1 (4.3) ROM
    B&N Nook Color (Gifted to relative)
    Samsung Galaxy Prevail Half A$$ed ROM
    EVO Shift JellyBelly ROM
    Samsung Galaxy S3 DanKang 4.3.1 ROM

Thanked by:
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    Clear cache/data in the camera app, reboot.

If that does not work, goto recovery and clear cache and dalvik cache only (not data), then reboot.
    Both these worked for a while, but then the problem came back. Would my next move be to factory reset? and if so, should i backup, factory reset then restore? or does backup/restore maybe reintroduce whatever is causing the problem?

thanks!

ROM
    Decks Reloaded,RebelROM

Quote Originally Posted by dmj1977 View Post
    Both these worked for a while, but then the problem came back. Would my next move be to factory reset? and if so, should i backup, factory reset then restore? or does backup/restore maybe reintroduce whatever is causing the problem?

thanks!
    Only options I can think of are:
    1. Change ROMs
    2. Change Camera apps

If the ROM doesn't update alot, it sounds like the devolpers of the ROM aren't addressing the camera slowness. Is there a forum where the ROM has Q&A/troubleshooting help?

Factory reset can be done. Clear cache and dalvik cache still. Reflash the ROM from scratch.

Your custom recovery should have an option to backup the entire phone. You may want to backup your apps with Titanium Backup or something similar. Backup your phone in recovery and backup your apps BEFORE you flash the ROM.
    TOSHIBA Thrive Pio's Team Baked BlackBean 4.1.2 ROM
    Samsung Galaxy Note 1 (i717) CM11 4.4.2 kitkat (jamied)
    Samsung GalaxyTab 3 (7 in) Deleterious ROM
    HTC EVO 4G Deck's Reloaded ROM
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (i317) unlocked Ditto Note 3.1.1 (4.3) ROM
    B&N Nook Color (Gifted to relative)
    Samsung Galaxy Prevail Half A$$ed ROM
    EVO Shift JellyBelly ROM
    Samsung Galaxy S3 DanKang 4.3.1 ROM